Thread: Hard Drives...

Default Hard Drives...

I recently aquired a 1/4 GB IDE hard drive (don't laugh) and installed it in my mother's computer. I am currently having a problem trying to get the computer to boot up from the original hard drive (10GB ATA) and still be able to use my drive plus the cd drive that I also have (IDE type). Is there a way to do thus? According to the manual of my motherboard, the IDE drive, by default, is the boot drive.

Default Re: Hard Drives...

Make sure:
    1) the boot disk is set to 'master' and the other to 'slave' on the jumper settings on the HD drives.

2) the cable plugs (IDE and Power) are well seated - it is easy for them not to be connecting.

3) BIOS settings to see the 2nd drive have been checked.

CD drives usually use a second IDE cable - not same as the HHD string - depends on how old the mother board is.

I have tried putting the 2nd hdd on a different controller (just tried) the bugger is that the system wont boot off the ata drive. Maybe if I put an OS on my 2nd drive and reassigned the letters would help?

Bro

You have both hard drives set as master. You need to set one to master and one to slave. There should be a diragram on the hdd some where to show you which jumpers need set.