Default cd rom not in control panel

I have no icon for my cd rom drive in control panel anymore. On my boot up screen it shows as an atapi 42 speed, then windows loads, but not the drivers ( I think...), but without the cd rom drive icon.

Default Re: cd rom not in control panel

Hi Mike,

Do you still have an icon in Explorer - can you still access your CD rom drive?
    When you say that there is no icon in control panel any more, do you mean in the system section of control panel?
    Windows loads its own drivers for things like CD rom drives, and although some drives come with install disks and their own drivers, it is better not to use these (except under DOS), but to let Windows use its own drivers.

Default Re: cd rom not in control panel

Hi JT,
    to answer...no there is nothing in windows explorer of my cd rom drive & therefore no way I can see to access my cd rom drive.
    There is no icon in control panel or in the system section of control panel...in fact,there are 2 yellow exclamation marks over primary & secondary ultra ata controllers, tree paned down from hard disk controllers...?Under their properties it says they are in ms dos compatability mode file system, in which it reduces overall system performance. Also my tape drive s/ware may possibly be having something to do with this??? It makes noises as if its going, but 2 hours later hasn't done anything...s/ware or h/ware wise.