Default Explorer caused an invalid page fault blah blah blah

A few months ago, whenever I went to shut down my internet computer, it would start to do the shutdown process then a box would come up: Explorer has caused an invalid page fault etc etc.
    I got sick of this so I reformatted, reinstalled and everything was Ok for a while and now it is doing it again.
    Message is 'Explorer has caused an invalid page fault in module Kernel.dll (or is it Kernel32.dll? - I can't remember.
    I click Ok, and then the computer acts like I have just fired it up. Various programs restart, like ZoneAlarm, Fastfind, Office toolbar etc, then it starts to shutdown but before it gets there another error message comes up: LoadWC has caused an invalid page fault in module RPCRT4.dll @ 0167:7fb9a83b.

The 'Explorer fault' seems to come up even if I haven't opened Explorer while using the machine.

This sequence of events happens 8 out of 10 times when I go to shut down. Sometimes I just get a normal shutdown.
    Machine is a Pentium II 300 with 128Mb SDRAM, Quantum Bigfoot 4.5 Gb hard drive running Win98SE with the shutdown patch.

Default Re: Explorer caused an invalid page fault blah blah blah

This is a common vexing problem which seems to have many causes including flaky memory.
    Here are some sites to browse through that may give some help:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/6883/kernel32.htm

http://www.aumha.org/a/k32fixz.htm

http://www.all-windows.com/kernel32.html

Since it's happening again after re-installing, it could well be dodgy memory.
    If your memory is several sticks, try one piece at a time.

I'm no expert but you might like to know that Fastfind is a well-known problem-causer. It would be a good idea to get rid of it - just remove it from your Start-Up folder.

Do you really need the Office Toolbar? That might also be contributing to your woes.

Lastly, ZoneAlarm could possibly be clashing with another of your programs, as it did with one of mine, but my problem did not go away even after uninstalling ZA, only after reformatting unfortunately.

Many thanks to those who have replied so far. I will take a look at the options suggested and hopefully one of them will cure this problem, but then I'm not convinced - I mean hey! This IS Windows we are talking about here LOL...

Hey J T,
    I had EXACTLY the same problem a couple of months ago.It took me more than a month to work out. Well, I downloded and installed a new video driver without uninstalling the previous one first, and thats where I went wrong. I used to get exactly the same problem you are discribing. After fixing it, everything went back to normal. Mark