Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Quick survey of the young ones.

Hi youth-of-today

I've been wondering some more about this 'no punctuation' trend that seems to be prevalent.

I really don't think it can be true that anyone posting to this forum wouldn't know that sentences start with capital letters and end with full-stops. In fact, the subject matter of this board would be uninteresting to a genuine thicko.

So that means it must be deliberate.

I've decided to put aside my usual mocking attitude and ask you directly - Why do you do this?

To make it easier, I've provided a multi-choice form. If you don't feel like posting a long reply, you can just give me the letter.

Here goes:

a) I type with two fingers, and it slows me down too much to type the punctuation. Even though I spend hours on the computer and I'd like to get into the IT industry, it hasn't occurred to me to learn to type.

b) Get with it, man! I'm expressing my individuality - just like all the other kids.

c) It's part of 'youth style' - like showing your underwear, and mumbling. The idea is to look slightly retarded and that proves you're cool.

d) What was the question again?

Default Re: Quick survey of the young ones.

Greetings John,

I am a substancial employer and I insist that job applications be completed in the applicants own handwriting.

This provides us with information relating to the applicants abilty to construct sentences, spell correctly and to have knowledge of punctuation standards. Fail any of these and the applicant does not work for us.

Of course an applicant can have someone else draft the application, but a three month trial contract will take care of that.

I commend you on this, your second,(to my knowledge), attempt to improve standards, but sadly feel that it is a case of a head v's a brick wall!! I truly feel sorry for those who cannot, or will not, meet reasoable standards, but from an employers point of view,there are always many applicants from which to choose.

Hello Iain,

Heard the one about throwing stones in glasshouses ! I think the word is substantial.

Alan

we write like that cause its faster.

u=you
    for=4
    got to go=g2g
    laugh out loud=lol

and the list goes on.

when u chat its quicker to write like that then to write it in full sentences and follow all the grammer rules.

how old r u???

80 or something ??

wat the hell is ur problem?

i suppose u have a problem with :-) too ???

guys like u could never chat, instant message or even send a mobile phone text message.

so stupid, so old, so thick

how old r u???

80 or something ??

wat the hell is ur problem?

i suppose u have a problem with :-) too ???

guys like u could never chat, instant message or even send a mobile phone text message.

so stupid, so old, so thick

Ahhh, that's grammar I think!!
    :-)

John: knowing my teenage daughter, I would say that most youth would relate to (c) more than anything else, except maybe *laziness*. Sad, isn't it? And have you noticed how bad newspapers are these days? Nearly every story I read has spelling and/or grammar mistakes in it.

Iain: umm, people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones....

Would I get an interview, considering that my handwriting is disgusting (actually I print, not write)? ;-)

Geeze John, you make me feel the generation gap already, and Im not even 20 ;-)

Does that mean Im no longer hip because Im literate?

I actually asked someone this question directly once, and even more surprisingly, managed to get an answer.

Because thats what you do when you chat.

Hey, I never said it was a GOOD answer ;-)

Its most likely just the evolution of language. Every generation changes its language to suit current climes, and while you complain about it now, who knows, maybe in 50 years time it will once again become 'in' to be able to write, and the youth of today will be complaining about all these extraneous characters being inserted into text.

There's no show at all of turning the clock back to when English was taught reasonably well in schools, so my advice would be for literates to answer literate postings and let the illiterates answer the illiterate ones. That way everyone will be able to communicate. <grin>