Default Compaq no longer?

I heard the other day that Compaq is going to disappear in the near future. Anyone know anything about it?

JM

Default Re: Compaq no longer?

Yes - David Copperfield is planning to do it live on TV.

There was a lot of talk a few weeks back of HP taking over Compaq, or was it the other way around? It all seems to have fallen through or at least gone quiet.

That's exactly what I heard the other day. We had some guy from HP come to my college and talk to us. He mentioned that they are buying out Compaq and dropping the Compaq name and just sticking with HP.

HP's now one of my favourite name brand computers -->>> might have something to do with the fact that I've got over $200,000 worth of their stuff to use.

JM

HP didn't BUY Compaq, they merged, and decided on HP as the new merged company's name. I don't think it has actually happened yet - still has to get govt approval in the US, but its almost certain to happen some time this year.

So in reality Compaq still exists, but just as a bigger company now (with a bigger market share). Don't worry, all you people with Compaqs, as you will still get the same service, or perhaps even better service lol.

The way the guy from HP spoke it sounded as if they were purchasing Compaq at a price of about 3*NZ's GDP. But you're probably right Mike.

JM