Default Excell (cell selection)

I have reloaded Excell however when I try to work in a sheet the first cell I click on becomes 'live' and thereafter wherever in the sheet I take the mouse to all the cells back to the initial one are highlighted.

With this the whole of the sheet and excell is locked except for increaseing or decreasing the cells selected and I have got to close excell though task manager.

Can anyone help please.

Default Re: Excell (cell selection)

????? Strange....

Is it the mouse or Excel itself? To eliminate the mouse navigate with the keyboard and see if it still happens.

Normally to select several cells you either click and drag or press <F8>. To stop selecting you then press the <F8> key again. Has it reversed itself (somehow)? Try pressing <F8> and see if this stops it.

Another suggestion is go to Help, Detect and Repair and see if this does it.

Try the above suggestions and see if it narrows the problem down at all.

I have officePro97 running on 150+ machines and have had this problem on the occassional machine. Usually older 486 or pentium133s. I posted about a year ago and the only suggestion was that the mouse was faulty. It seemed kind of logical at the time, and interestingly enough have not had the problem since. I love it when the problem goes away and you haven't done anything! I would be interested to know the reason.
    regards
    Don

Try a swift bump to either your shift key (both of them) or your left-mouse button... they may be getting stuck occasionally, and this would explain the constant high-lighting... Yes, I know its only happening in one program, but it could be the problem.

Thanks Heather

I was also sent a help message that said 'could be your shift keys stuck' - to clear them give them a good thump!

I did this first before moving on to try another mouse and lo & behold my problem has gone away.

Thanks again for your suggestion it was going to be next on my 'fix' list.

Chris.

Thanks Don

I was also sent a help message that said 'could be your shift keys stuck' - to clear them give them a good thump!

I did this first before moving on to try another mouse and lo & behold my problem has gone away.

Thanks again for your suggestion it was going to be next on my 'fix' list.

Chris.

Thanks Mike

After reinstalling Office 2000 and still having the problem (before your fix) I then took your advice and gave both shift keys a good thump or two.

And hey presto the problem has gone away!!!!

Modern technology still amazes me sometimes and I don't even try to understand what's happening.

Thanks again.

Chris