Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quiet weekend? Look at this!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/340049826193416

This will have you rolling over laughing!

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Old guy

Default Re: Quiet weekend? Look at this!

Some good laughs in that lot Ken

I still wish I had been born in America, and all the opportunities that come with it.

I go for a road trip I end up in Taihape or Stratford. Go for a roadie in the US you can end up in a completely different world from where you left, without needing a passport.

For example.

{Quote} - - - needing a passport.

For example.
    ^^ Not exactly a compelling example . . . .
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

LOL...I wanna live in half day half night zone....
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    I still wish I had been born in America, and all the opportunities that come with it.

I go for a road trip I end up in Taihape or Stratford. Go for a roadie in the US you can end up in a completely different world from where you left, without needing a passport.

For example.
    But it takes forever to get there. I remember moving from LA to Houston, and looking forward to the adventure. I didn't bother to look at a map, I knew Interstate 10 started in LA and went through the middle of Houston. Set off driving on a Monday. Most of that day I was in either California or Arizona and stopped the first night in Phoenix. Next day, after travelling all day, made it to a next stop in El Paso. Great I thought ... Houston tomorrow, at least I was now in Texas. Wrong. After another all day trip, made it to San Antonio. Thursday around mid afternoon, i finally rolled into Houston.

What is my lasting impression is that there's very little change in the scenery especially in the southwestern States and frankly one rocky outcrop or cactus or stretch of I-10 is the same as what you saw for the last 100 miles, and starts to become boring after a day or two.

On the other hand, northern California and especially the coast road (I-101) from Santa Barbara to Big Sur is as varied and awe inspiring as driving in Godzone. Likewise Washington State.

And driving LA / Houston, you still have several State borders and document checks to go through.

Give me NZ any day, just saying.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Yeah, I get all that.

But.

It's about options and the multitude of different places to go. US, Canada, Mexico...all just a drive away. Sun, surf, skiing, crowded NYC or empty log cabins in Wyoming.

If you're on a roadie/holiday who cares how long it takes? If you're in a hurry catch a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    But it takes forever to get there. I remember moving from LA to Houston, and looking forward to the adventure. I didn't bother to look at a map, I knew Interstate 10 started in LA and went through the middle of Houston. Set off driving on a Monday. Most of that day I was in either California or Arizona and stopped the first night in Phoenix. Next day, after travelling all day, made it to a next stop in El Paso. Great I thought ... Houston tomorrow, at least I was now in Texas. Wrong. After another all day trip, made it to San Antonio. Thursday around mid afternoon, i finally rolled into Houston.

What is my lasting impression is that there's very little change in the scenery especially in the southwestern States and frankly one rocky outcrop or cactus or stretch of I-10 is the same as what you saw for the last 100 miles, and starts to become boring after a day or two.

On the other hand, northern California and especially the coast road (I-101) from Santa Barbara to Big Sur is as varied and awe inspiring as driving in Godzone. Likewise Washington State.

And driving LA / Houston, you still have several State borders and document checks to go through.

Give me NZ any day, just saying.
    That would pis! me off toooo.

England was bad enough with all their "round the clock" exits. At least the folk were friendly and sometimes sent one off in a different direction, especially in Kent.

We loved the M25, no speed restrictions back in the early 2000"s.

Greta would not be pleased with all our o/s travel over the years. That's only part of the problem tho, population growth will be the bigger problem.

lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    That would pis! me off toooo.

England was bad enough with all their "round the clock" exits. At least the folk were friendly and sometimes sent one off in a different direction, especially in Kent.

We loved the M25, no speed restrictions back in the early 2000"s.

Greta would not be pleased with all our o/s travel over the years. That's only part of the problem tho, population growth will be the bigger problem.

lurking.
    Bit of a misnomer there I was born and raised in Kent, the M25 only barely touches Kent and has always had a speed restriction of 70mph. The Clacket services were a site I worked on in 1991-1992. Try the M25 the day it was closed for a bomb scare for once it was so quiet on site it was eerie, it purportedly cost the country 20million GBP for the 3 hours it was closed in both directions. Meanwhile I got to walk across all 6 lanes and the site engineers carried a table out for a photo shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Bit of a misnomer there I was born and raised in Kent, the M25 only barely touches Kent and has always had a speed restriction of 70mph. The Clacket services were a site I worked on in 1991-1992. Try the M25 the day it was closed for a bomb scare for once it was so quiet on site it was eerie, it purportedly cost the country 20million GBP for the 3 hours it was closed in both directions. Meanwhile I got to walk across all 6 lanes and the site engineers carried a table out for a photo shoot.
    Had a penpal Graeme HAZELWOOD, Horsemonden, Kent for many years and that was our 1st balls up, going to visit him. Sent him an apology later on the journey, as we had to get to Bath, for another rellie.

Only 70mph on the M25 and they were still passing us.

lurking.

p.s. snowed in up there?.

lurks.