Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wimbledon

Default Wimbledon

Anyone watching the Wombles playing tennis . Some real good matches over the last few days. Sky Sport or Prime 2200-0200 daily.

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

VoidMaster

Default Re: Wimbledon

I come from a family whose main sport was tennis, can't stand the conduct of players these days, the histrionics and especially the grunting and shouting after or on each stoke drives me crazy, won't be watching anymore and haven't been for a number of years now until all these undisciplined player are penalty banned for their childish behavior.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

I do tend to agree with you. SWMBO and I are both ex players and have a great love for the game. Unfortunately there are some real obnoxious people playing. I generally choose who I will watch and really enjoy the power and skills they display. Wonderful to watch!

That's why I feel you are cutting off your nose to spite your face a bit. Try what we do and I guarantee you'll get lots of pleasure out of viewing!

Ken

VoidMaster

I saw Raphael Nadal playing when he was younger and nobody ever has or will have his combination of skill, grace, flair, fighting spirit and good temperament. The best player I have ever seen by far.

I've seen lots of good players when I was younger including Arthur Ashe, Rod Laver, Basil Catz and many more well-known players in the flesh, even spoken to them, believe it or not they came and played in Ndola Zambia when I was a young aspiring player. We've still got cine movies that Dad took from that time.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 04-07-2022 at 03:23 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

That's great memories. We have been massive fans of Nadal and Federer (although Roger was a bit snarky when he first turned pro. Turned into a great silky smooth player as time passed. His cross court backhand was the best I have ever seen.

I have great memories of Lew Hoad playing Pancho Gonzales at the Stanley St. In Auckland in the early 60's. Wonderful stuff!

Ken

I was privileged to attend Wimbledon Quarter finals day on Nr 1 court in 1972. That was the second year that Onny Parun reached the Quarter finals. a lovely atmosphere strawberries , cream , fashion.
    Even in those days tickets had to be booked well ahead. I had flukey luck - a workmate had spares.
    zqwerty Again I was lucky I was given tickets to Heineken Open Finals in 2004 and saw Rafael Nadal beaten in final by Dominic Hbarty of Slovakia. Nadal was so athletic on court.
    Kenj I had a Pancho Gonzales racquet at high school . I remember when it broke -I went up for a smash hit the ball which rocketed off together with the racquet head.. I remember those glory days when Hoad, Roy Emerson etc played at Stanley St. I also in 1978 attended Mens Final where Onny Parun lost to Elliot Telscher who had a screaming fit at the umpire. I disapprove of histrionics and hate the on court orgasms of many female players -seems artificial to me. I think Monica Seles started that trend.

VoidMaster

Yes Roy Emerson was one of the people who played in Zambia.

I saw a Doubles match in Hamilton back in the Ď60s where Rod Laver & Ken Rosewell played a doubles match against another couple of International players whose names I canít remember.

It was a light hearted affair which included trick shots and Ken had a huge range.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

VoidMaster

Yes thanks BM, Ken Rosewall was the other player who came to Zambia, to make up two pairs for doubles.

It was probably the same tour so the other two players were Arthur Ashe and Roy Emerson.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 05-07-2022 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    especially the grunting and shouting after or on each stoke drives me crazy.
    Why do they do it? It sounds ridiculous. Even the women do it. What's the purpose? It certainly does not add anything to the game, in fact it distracts from it.

The other silly thing they do is lie down on the court with their arms and legs splayed out. And, of course, smash their racquet to pieces. They're just like spoilt brats. And the annoying thing about that is that they are paid! I suppose anyone would do that if they were paid enough.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.