Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sport glasses

Default Re: sport glasses

I have multiple glasses, got the cheapest pair I could from Zenni @ $50 to leave in my glove box, have a more expensive pair with auto tinting for general use, and a pair of polarised prescription sunglasses for the daytime outside and driving.
    The glove box pair is because I have a habit of driving somewhere using my sunglasses and then it gets dark and I realise my other glasses are at home... . I also have a spare pair from an older prescription that's still good enough to use.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Specsavers two pairs of glasses. Why?

Because it sounds good. If you look into it further...small print applies.
    So actually it isn't

Are sports glasses different from other glasses?

Take a look at the link I posted. That's what they are.

my wife who has to have a special lens machined for her astigmatism Zenni never get it quite right.

Well I have extreme astigmatism, and it worked for me from Zenni.

I did also use 39dollarglasses once. Also good.
    Ex-pctek

My 2 cents worth, from the perspective of a retired optometrist...

Do not use glass lenses for any activity that carries a risk of impact. Lenses must be plastic / acrylic / CR39 or polycarbonate for your own safety.
    You seem to want to get rid of the lower rim, but be aware that will make the lenses more vulnerable to chipping issues, and the frame will be weaker, so more chance of wrecking them if you wipeout or connect with a branch / tree / other biker.

Cycling often involves a head down, bum up posture, which would have you looking over the top of the frames in many situations. You can reduce this problem a bit by selecting a frame that sits very high, level with or even above your brows, but that might also lead to your brows greasing the lenses, or sweat getting on the lenses, or fogging up if the airflow is limited by close contact.

I personally don't think the lower rim of the frame will be an issue. It's that top rim that'll be the bother. A big eye size (big, tall lens shape), or high sitting frame will likely be the more practical in use.

You'll have no idea how well these coverage issues will be if you buy online. You really need to try on the frames first.

For those wondering why Specsavers do the Buy Two deals... well, consider that they make their own frames. The more they can push extra products the lower they can get their unit costs of producing them, and extract a few extra dollars along the way.
    Manufacturing is largely automated, and typically done in a low wage or low tax part of the world.
    The Brit couple behind Specsavers are billionaires... so who has been getting the best deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    For those wondering why Specsavers do the Buy Two deals... well, consider that they make their own frames. The more they can push extra products the lower they can get their unit costs of producing them, and extract a few extra dollars along the way.
    Manufacturing is largely automated, and typically done in a low wage or low tax part of the world.
    The Brit couple behind Specsavers are billionaires... so who has been getting the best deal?
    But you did not say WHY you would want two pairs of glasses. You can only wear one pair at a time. So what do you do with the other pair? Give them to someone else? I just don't understand why you would need more than one pair.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

I always take the two pair deal. One pair for normal use and the second pair as prescription sunglasses.

I have a friend who always gets two identical pairs in case he loses one. It happened once that he lost his glasses so now he always has a spare. Except that he has never lost his glasses since and cannot find the second pair anyway!

VoidMaster

One pair in your coat pocket and another pair in your car cubby hole, then when you leave in a rush to go to the supermarket and forget your coat you always have another pair to read the exorbitant prices at the supermarket.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

I keep a pair at home, a pair in my car, a pair in my toolbelt for work and another pair in my grab bag for emergencies, SAR callouts and hunting.

So yes I do have 4 pairs but the work and emergency pair are Warehouse ones as they tend to wear out especially the work ones.

Paul sums it up really well above too, he knows what he is talking about.
    Last edited by gary67; 02-07-2022 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    My 2 cents worth, from the perspective of a retired optometrist...
    Thanks @Paul.Cov
    Do not use glass lenses for any activity that carries a risk of impact. Lenses must be plastic / acrylic / CR39 or polycarbonate for your own safety.
    Yep, got that.
    You seem to want to get rid of the lower rim, but be aware that will make the lenses more vulnerable to chipping issues, and the frame will be weaker, so more chance of wrecking them if you wipeout or connect with a branch / tree / other biker.
    Got that one as well, maybe just a thin one at the bottom
    Cycling often involves a head down, bum up posture, ....
    Na, not quite! This is MTB. What I have used to date is not quite satisfactory and a second pair would be good, especially to keep one pair away from dirt rides.
    I will have to take more time and checkout the NZ shops.

I just don't understand why you need more than one pair of glasses. I have only one pair of graduated glasses that stay on my nose all the time except when I go to sleep. While they are quite expensive, they are very convenient as I never misplace them and I just forget all about them. When I was younger, my eyes were much better than they are now and I required a new pair every few years but it seems that my eyes have settled down with age and my latest pair I have had for about seven years.

So perhaps someone - Gary in particular - can tell me why you need more than one pair. I find that incredible.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.