Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sport glasses

Default sport glasses

Hello All
    I have read here one particular post about glasses, the "Specsavers" thread and I contacted the Zenni. No luck there.
    As a regular MTB'er I am looking for prescription sports glasses. Has anyone of you bought such glasses online and want to share how it went and let me know where to buy?
    Thanks guys/ladies, and have a good day!

Default Re: sport glasses

Sports? No but I have used Zenni twice, and my mum now uses them too.
    Zenni do them, upload your prescription and choose:

https://www.zennioptical.com/b/sports-glasses
    Ex-pctek

When talking about Specsavers, I see their advertising talking about a special deal when you but two pairs of glasses. Why? What do you need two pairs of glasses for? It's not as if you wear you glasses out. And it's not as if you would wear one pair one week (or one month) and the other another week. I have had my present pair for the past five years and the only reason that I would buy a second pair is if my sight had deteriorated and I needed a new prescription, but that would most probably be a few years between each pair.

But I wonder why you refer to your glasses as "sports glasses." Are sports glasses different from other glasses? If so, in what respect? I would have thought that glasses were glasses whatever you were doing while wearing them. The only difference I have seen is the type of frames that people buy. But, depending on the sport, I would have thought that you would have taken off your glasses anyway, lest they get broken, unless it is a very gentle sport.

I had a look at the URL that piroska posted concerning sports glasses and the glasses look like any other glasses. So what's the difference?
    Last edited by Roscoe; 01-07-2022 at 09:11 AM.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

The main glass for sports fans and participants was for many years the 8oz Hotel Pattern. Larger sizes were in vogue occasionally but spillages were excessively traumatic for both spiller and spillee so the 8oz remained the mainstay of therapeutic glasses (to make people feel better).
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Zenni and others can be way cheaper, however for my wife who has to have a special lens machined for her astigmatism it doesn't work we have tried Zenni and one other for her and they never get it quite right.

For normal lenses it is the way to go.

As for Specsavers I use them as I only need reading glasses and a free test every 2 years for being an AA member is a bonus (they don't like giving out your prescription though) as for 2 pairs it is useful to me next time I'm going to get a clear pair and a pair that go dark for reading outside. I have to wear them at work so I can read things like house plans, a rule etc so get work ones from the warehouse for $10 a pair.

Sports glasses have shatterproof lenses similar to safety glasses.

Oh and what R2x1 said counts too

Have a look at 39dollarglassesdot com

I have never had any issues with them
    A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Sports? ...
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Yes these purpose glasses/sunglasses styles, the latter can be with interior clip-on lenses, close off better at the bottom. Some even have bottomless frame. Often you get dirt flying up and can be tricky if on a downhill run. Contact lenses would be another option and then sort-off cheap purpose glasses. Just trying to stay away from contact lenses.
    I'll have another look at Zenni and 39dollarglasses.

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    I see what you mean, cover goggles. Thanks, na...
    When on a MTB downhill you want as much vision as possible, the less frame the better. I'm not trying to look cool. I just know my standard glasses I'm trying to avoid because of the frame below the lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    When talking about Specsavers, I see their advertising talking about a special deal when you but two pairs of glasses. Why? What do you need two pairs of glasses for? It's not as if you wear you glasses out. And it's not as if you would wear one pair one week (or one month) and the other another week. I have had my present pair for the past five years and the only reason that I would buy a second pair is if my sight had deteriorated and I needed a new prescription, but that would most probably be a few years between each pair.
    i'm waiting on my new pair at the moment. i typically use the old pair as a spare, but i have been caught out before when i broke my glasses and used the old ones, to find i could barely see enough to drive.
    i got new pair recently and its got an issue so i will get another pair with slight adjustment to the prescription and use the oldish ones as back ups.
    having two the same is not a bad idea.
    i also have a set for driving because the auto tint doesn't work inside cars.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    i
    i also have a set for driving because the auto tint doesn't work inside cars.
    The very reason you do not want these while riding a MTB as you often going in and out of dark bush patches fairly fast. These goggle's reaction is too slow..