Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help with Tinywall firewall, please

I have installed Tinywall firewall, but then I wanted to join a Zoom meeting and was unable to do so and because I did not know what to do. I wanted to go to the Zoom meeting so I uninstalled Tinywall then went to my meeting.

I have re installed Tinywall and would like to allow the firewall to admit Zoom but do not know how to. I understand that I need to whitelist Zoom but I cannot see how to do that so I was hoping someone could assist me.

I'm not worried if the advice is to uninstall Tinywall and install some other firewall that someone is more familiar with. What I really want is a good firewall.

Thanks for your help.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: Help with Tinywall firewall, please

1) uninstall tinywall

2) 99% dont NEED a 3rd party Firewall . Windows has a built in Firewall
    Dont be fooled by marketing hype
    You router has BASIC firewall functionality (turn off upnp)

If you NEED a 3rd party firewall, tell us your specific requirements if you want advice re Firewalls .
    ( get a Hardware Firewall if its that important )

That's the main problem with Firewalls that are set to Auto. Sure don't get pop ups but can be a PITA ! At blocking applications. BUT as 1101 posted most don't normally NEED an additional firewall.

I use Esets inbuilt firewall (Eset Endpoint - different program to the Straight Antivirus) and set to Interactive mode, it asks (the 1st time) to allow etc, and if its a program that you want to allow all the time you tell it to do so and it never bothers you again unless there's an update to the said program.

Looking at their site though, if you click in the Icon Tray Under its settings you should be able to manually white list Zoom. (See picture on their site) https://tinywall.pados.hu/features.php It will be one of the whitelist options OR look at the change mode option, it may have interactive, ( don't know without installing)
    Last edited by wainuitech; 28-06-2022 at 11:16 AM.

Thank you for your replies, everyone.

The consensus seems to be that I don't require a firewall as the Windows built in firewall which is all I need. I was told that a firewall was a good idea and when I told the advisor that Windows already had a firewall, he told me that he runs Android and assumed that I needed a firewall as well.

But one thing I did wonder about: Before I installed Tiny wall, I appeared to have no restrictions to any website including Zoom, but with the Windows firewall I have not been asked to allow any websites (such as Zoom) so how do I know if Windows firewall is allowing me to access harmful sites or not? And why do I not have to tell Windows firewall that Zoom, etc, is alright - or not - to visit? I have had no indication that Windows firewall is there and until I installed Tiny Wall I have not been stopped from accessing Zoom or any other site. I would have thought that any firewall would tell me if it has blocked a site, as Tiny Wall did. So I had no idea Windows firewall was there and working.

So now I wonder if Windows is blocking any harmful sites? There has been no indication that it is operating. Is that normal or should I be alerted to a harmful site that it is blocking? I have no idea if the programme is doing anything. Is there any way to tell? Or do I need to know?

Thank you everyone. Your information is very helpful. I will go and uninstall Tiny Wall.

So now I wonder if Windows is blocking any harmful sites? There has been no indication that it is operating. Is that normal or should I be alerted to a harmful site that it is blocking? I have no idea if the programme is doing anything. Is there any way to tell? Or do I need to know?
    Actually a good question. That's why I use a LOT better Firewall, it allows the user to allow or Block ANYTHING including the MS "phone home Telemetry" If wanted.

The inbuilt has rules like any firewall, but its not quite so user friendly. Hit the wrong thing and you can do more harm than good. Some like to "Play" with settings then everything stops

To See what's allowed have a read, on step 3 click on the inbound, everything with ticks is allowed. https://www.minitool.com/news/block-...ewall-009.html

As an example of Esets firewall, if any program is run I have it set to allow always or Question.

Example: revo Uninstaller is looking for any updates -- Depending on what I tell it to do ( bottom 3 options) it wont go anywhere unless I allow it, same with incoming programs/ connections, tells you exactly what's asking and where its going or coming from, If I dont know it gets the NO GO

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Firewall Example.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	11338
    Last edited by wainuitech; 28-06-2022 at 01:17 PM.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Not sure whether it will block a site, I've never really used it to be honest.

There are notification settings for Windows Defender Firewall, so you may find some settings there for "Notifications".

Whilst, Windows Defender is "adequate" for most people, I would still recommend spending some $$$ on a good 3rd party firewall.

Most of these applications will do a far better job detecting, dodgy sites, PUPs and other nasties - and as Wai said, they usually provide a very "granular" approach to what is allowed and not allowed to run from an exe perspective.

So outside of system related files, you can easily set allow rules for the most common exe's you use and this will likely flag anything you either don't use often or don't use at all... this of course can be a very strenuous exercise because you will have review evey exception that pops up... The beauty with a product like ESET for example is there is a good "Default" setting which eliminates the "standard" programs and then it has a predictive/automatic function which will look at what is running change based on what you run on your PC, this also applies to it adapting to anything dodgy from the web. the thing I like about ESET is the default behavior is to ASK if you want to allow something new rather than simply blocking the traffic or allowing... so you have a decent amount of control.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
    Klevv 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post

So now I wonder if Windows is blocking any harmful sites?
    Just where are you browsing to :-)

if you want that functionality, get a paid security suite such as ESET . (although the ESET AV/Endpoint does that without a 3rd party firewall)

KNOWN harmfull sites . Firewalls wont block access to websites that arnt in a known harmfull list .

I still dont think you really need a 3rd party firewall. They arnt magic, wont block access to every bad site . And can cause issues , as youve seen .
    You could use a 3rd party DNS , that will help block access to known bad websites
    https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/do-you-...sonal-firewall
    Last edited by 1101; 28-06-2022 at 04:08 PM.

Thank you very much chief. Very interesting. Thanks also to Wainui and 1101. I have learnt a lot.
    Last edited by Roscoe; 28-06-2022 at 04:05 PM.

VoidMaster

I use Tiny Firewall, right click on the icon in the task bar and choose your actions, very simple and works well for me. Change mode is where to start.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I have installed Tinywall firewall, but then I wanted to join a Zoom meeting and was unable to do so and because I did not know what to do. I wanted to go to the Zoom meeting so I uninstalled Tinywall then went to my meeting.

I have re installed Tinywall and would like to allow the firewall to admit Zoom but do not know how to. I understand that I need to whitelist Zoom but I cannot see how to do that so I was hoping someone could assist me.

I'm not worried if the advice is to uninstall Tinywall and install some other firewall that someone is more familiar with. What I really want is a good firewall.

Thanks for your help.
    first thing is tinywall is not a firewall, its a front end to windows firewall.
    not to be confused with tinyfirewall which i think i used many many years ago now and is probably long gone.

ease of use, zonealarm is typically an easy to use one but its been a long time since i've used it.
    Tweak it till it breaks