Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Default Re: VLAN novice trying to get Guest mesh wifi working through network switch (802.1q)

Might pay to get 2 or 3 more Deco's so that you can decrease the spacing between them... this may then allow the mesh to work...

As long as each AP is adjacent to another with the "path" eventually getting back to the base station you should be fine. At least that's how my D-Link COVR's worked but not sure if the Deco's are the same.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
    Klevv 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Default Re: VLAN novice trying to get Guest mesh wifi working through network switch (802.1q)

"and wifi on the Private SSID is great"
    "devices on wired LAN and on Private wifi SSID can all talk to each other throughout the building and access the internet"

So the issue seems to have nothing to do with requiring more mesh units ,or spacing of units, or range/backhaul issues

suggestions have gone a bid sideways ? :-)

try this , for the guest wifi . You may not need to muck about setting up VLANs

https://www.tp-link.com/br/support/faq/1460/

edit , perhaps guest mode isnt fully supported in meshed units
    " the host network is isolated from guest network when the Deco works in router mode only now, it will be added in access point mode in next firmware. "
    Last edited by 1101; 20-06-2022 at 02:15 PM.

As its been mentioned try it without the VLAN.

Just had a fiddle with my TP-links, and with guest mode they connected and worked as expected, set up the VLAN option and everything turned pear shaped
    Last edited by wainuitech; 20-06-2022 at 03:06 PM.

Boldly Going Nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    try this , for the guest wifi . You may not need to muck about setting up VLANs

https://www.tp-link.com/br/support/faq/1460/
    Yep, that's essentially what I did to enable the Guest SSID. The VLAN solution isn't intended to replace that - it's in addition when there's a managed/smart switch between the Decos (they're an M4R by the way, but seem to just be referred to as M4)
    Are VLANs really that nasty? I just figured I misinterpreted something in the TP-Link instruction or in the Netgear flavour of VLAN config.

The way I read the TP-Link VLAN FAQ, my scenario requires the following on the Netgear switch:
    VLAN 1 = ports 1-14, 16-18, 20-23 untagged (the "default" VLAN)
    VLAN 2 = ports 15,19,24 untagged (Deco trunking?)
    VLAN 591 = ports 15,19,24 tagged (Deco guest wifi)
    PVID on ports 15, 19, 24 is set to 2. All other ports are set to 1
    Result: Devices on the Private SSID can't see wired LAN devices (bad) and it didn't allow Guest SSID connection on the slave Decos (also bad). Private SSID could access the internet right across the mesh (good) but Guest SSID would only connect and give internet access on the main router Deco

Based on my limited reading up on VLANs I modified the Netgear to:
    VLAN 1 = ports 1-24 untagged (default)
    VLAN 591 = ports 15,19,24 tagged (Deco guest wifi)
    PVID on all ports is 1
    Result: Private SSID works great everywhere and can talk to all wired devices (good) but still no Guest SSID connection on the slave Decos (bad). Guest still only works as intended on the main router Deco.

Any other config suggestions?
    --- Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

The main purposes of VLANs;

• Limits broadcast traffic which then improves bandwidth availability - i.e. the links are not saturated unnecessarily with broadcast traffic. - this specifically combats broadcast storms
    • Allows for better QoS where VoIP devices are directly connected to a PC (daisy chaining)
    • Provides the ability to provide logical seperation of the network within the same physical location or multiple locations connected via Point-To-Point connections.
    • Provides addtional security when used with routing tables
    • Reduces the "spend" on network hardware because you don't need physical kit for each network subnet

Even if you did get the Private/Guest Wi-Fi working, implementing VLAN's would be unnecessary because you only have 2 networks.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
    Klevv 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

There is one other possible cause for the problem.

There may be some sort of mis-configuration between the netgear switch and TP-Link Decos.

Just thinking about it, and looking at the original Diagram and what you have described AND knowing how a standard setup works , I think the problem is with the Netgear Switch settings.

1. Using the Private network - the switch works as it should with no restrictions.
    2. Looking at the diagram The guest works on the DECO 1, as its acting as the router, and is before the Switch.
    3. Private Wireless on Deco 2 & 3 because they are allowed to as normal, throw in the VLAN to separate the guest and trouble.
    4. Have a read of the actual instructions on how to set it up, it will only be some setting. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/JGS524PE.aspx ( look at top Support Articles when the page loads).

Cant help with any settings as I don't use Netgear Equipment except for unmanaged Switches.

Chiefs suggestion in Post #2 is still the better option.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 21-06-2022 at 09:01 AM.

Check this out as well https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/faq/2465/ may or may not be any help.