Default Moving/resizing a partition

I am trying to change the size and position of a partition using Paragon Partition Manager. I go through the process then click "Apply". I does its thing then says it needs to restart. Click OK and the PC reboots and starts the boot-time changes. Then it says "couldn't lock the target partition" and "hit any key... to continue." After finding the any key I press it but nothing happens. The only way I can proceed is to do a hard reboot. The system restarts and unsurprisingly, nothing has changed.
    So, two questions:
    • Why is the system not responding when I press a key?
    • Why couldn't it lock the target partition?

I suspect the answer to the second question is that the partition I am manipulating is the one where Partition Manager is installed, so how can I get round that?
    We are all but temporary files on the great flash drive of life.

Default Re: Moving/resizing a partition

Haven't used paragon for years ( can't remember why, possibly because of problems) Anyhow, some software cant work if trying to so a couple of operations at the same time esp while the system is running. You can try Minitool Partition, dont very often have problems with that. https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...n-manager.html

Trying doing one operation at a time.

Sometimes you have to boot from Media to do what you want, that way the system is not running. ( personally do that 99% of the time - no hassles then)
    Last edited by wainuitech; 17-06-2022 at 07:37 PM.

I did try just one operation and the result was the same. I'd thought of trying from a bootable DVD - I'll give that ago and also look at Minitool partition.
    Thanks.

I use Easeus partition master, haven't had any problems, but eqally haven't used it for a year or so.

Older by the minute

From Wainuitech on 29-12-2021.

1st, dont bother with the inbuilt Windows. You are correct about the third party software, so much easier.

Download either Mintool Partition Free DIRECT DOWNLOAD link By passes all the click this that etc. OR AOEMI Partition Free https://www.diskpart.com/free-partition-manager.html

On the mini tool install if you select that one, when installing on one window it wants you to install a backup program as well, just untick it.

Both work basically the same.

Using either of the above software---- From the Picture you provided, What you do is right click the Backup Partition - Select Move/resize drag it to the right, then do the same for the 594MB, leaving space to then right click C partition, resize and drag out to fill the now empty space.

"IF" you wanted to delete the Backup Partition (195GB) you can do that as well, but only if you need the extra space.

Either way, you will have to move the 594MB to make room to expand C. If you delete the 594MB you may very well cause boot problems.

The above may sound complicated, so heres a very rough and quick Video using minitool. I shrink a Partiton on disk 2, then show it able to move and then resize back to original.

Da Video --- https://streamable.com/vjojo7

Quote Originally Posted by Brucem View Post
    I use Easeus partition master, haven't had any problems, but eqally haven't used it for a year or so.
    Thanks for that. I've never had problems with Partition Magic up till now. I think it is more to with the environment than the product.