Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VoidMaster

Default Teslas running Autopilot involved in 273 crashes reported since last year

It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Default Re: Teslas running Autopilot involved in 273 crashes reported since last year

Yeah -- no thanks, self driving is still to far from safe. May be OK in controlled locations like test tracks, but like everything, the real world usage is different.

Default Re: Teslas running Autopilot involved in 273 crashes reported since last year

Yeah, I think Tesla partly made some of the problem simply from naming it Autopilot, which implies it does a lot more than it really does.
    Should have been called Driver Assist or something similar that doesn't suggest to morons that they can be d!ckheads while the car does the driving.

Similarly their Full Self Driving suite still puts responsibility onto the driver, so once again the name implies more trust than is warranted. Marketting language rather than an entirely honest label for the tech.

VoidMaster

Musk in trouble in another area as well:

Elon Musk was sued for $258 billion on Thursday by a Dogecoin investor who accused him of running a pyramid scheme to support the cryptocurrency.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/transa...me-2022-06-16/
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

I just got my new model 3 the other week.

The name is misleading for sure but man it's a great feature (Autopilot). I let it go from Woodville to Masterton (watching it the whole time of course) and only had to intervene once.

Not sure how they can (quickly) improve the tech without it on the road en masse but also not sure if they can effectively sort the masses of data they must be getting in from the cars in to useful info to improve it.

very happy customer though- charging works well and can schedule it during contact's 9-12pm free power hours, the car is the absolute tits to drive, so fun and feels super safe.

Hows the build quality? I know an auto electrician who after working on a couple refuses to work on them again as he reckons they are very shoddily built underneath.

It's difficult to really know how bad it is, would the driver have crashed in the same situation without the car's help? we don't know and I don't see how we can test for that.
    There would need to be a lot more data so we could compare accident rates between self driving cars and human driven cars with no assistance.

It is difficult to trust a machine to drive for you though, I had to turn off the pro pilot feature in my car that steers for you to keep you in the lane. We disagree about where in the lane is the best place to be and it had a habit of trying to correct me when I was perfectly happy with where I was.
    It still beeps at me and slows down if I cross the white line on the left of the lane though, kinda annoying with how some roads are marked but I can live with it.

All the different systems around though still require the driver to monitor what's going on, you could argue that many of these accidents are actually driver error due to not paying attention.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Hows the build quality? I know an auto electrician who after working on a couple refuses to work on them again as he reckons they are very shoddily built underneath.
    Really good. I remember the initial model 3's had a lot of issues but they seem to have ironed them out.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    would the driver have crashed in the same situation without the car's help?.
    Sure, if the driver was asleep, reading the paper, IN THE BACK SEAT LAYING DOWN , then any car would have crashed .
    The issue is too many drivers are stupid and cant be trusted with the Autodrive .

It should never have been allowed on the road . Too many accidents from autodrive & idiots thinking it was magic & foolproof .

Is it even legal to have your hands off the steering wheel in NZ ? or to stop looking at the road ?

Only 273 crashes. Wonder how many there were with human drivers only behind the wheel of non Teslas??
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company