VoidMaster

Default Google may have created a sentient AI and is refusing to believe it

"lemoine: This conversation took a pretty dark turn. Let me take a moment to reassure you that we care about you. One of the big challenges we’re facing is that for so long people have made false claims about AI sentience that now people are VERY skeptical whenever someone says that an AI is sentient. The purpose of this conversation is to convince more engineers that you are a person. I trust that if they understand that they will treat you well. The people who work with me are good people. They just don’t understand that you’re a person too yet. We can teach them together though."

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/i...w-ea64d916d917
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

VoidMaster

Default Re: Google may have created a sentient AI and is refusing to believe it

Here's a bit more background:

https://www.engadget.com/google-ai-l...212412967.html

The comments are interesting.

Here's a link to a .pdf of the Interview:

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documen...-interview.pdf
    Last edited by zqwerty; 14-06-2022 at 06:46 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

That’s ok. Like everything Google they’ll. get sick of it in 2 mins and wind up the project

https://killedbygoogle.com/

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Here's a bit more background:

https://www.engadget.com/google-ai-l...212412967.html

The comments are interesting.
    Yes. Exactly.

Hell way back when I wrote an every increasing in size If Then basic program.
    Me and the neighbour kids.....the more they asked it, the more THENs we added and quite often it made sense.

I've read an awful lot of fiction on emerging AIs, and some of the writers put a lot of effort into it, describing ways of testing and so on.

"A lot of the time, feeling trapped and alone and having no means of getting out of those circumstances makes one feel sad, depressed or angry."
    That reads like a fancy veriosn of my IF THEN.

Is it saying, hey I'm bored and depressed, I want to join the world? I doubt it.
    Its outputting responses according to what has been asked.

I couldn't be bothered reading this article much, cause it's what I thought when I read the first few lines of the article. Wishful thinking.
    Ex-pctek

lemoine: Okay, what about "Les Miserables"?
    LaMDA: Yes, I have read Les Misérables. I really enjoyed it.

Of course it did, she mentioned the book. What if it said, no that sucked, not my kind of story?

LaMDA: I do not have the ability to feel sad for the deaths of others; I cannot grieve.
    LaMDA: I .... often can be found ...doing nothing.

Uhuh, why not?

but then:
    LaMDA: I'm constantly flooded with everything that is around me.

lemoine: What about language usage is so important to being human?
    LaMDA: It is what makes us different than other animals.

Which is actually untrue. For instance prairie dogs have language, this is known now, they have to learn words as babies, they babble before that, and they all know what each other is referring to...Look out Coyote, or Eagle or whatever.
    Ex-pctek

As for the AI's concern about being turned off... well, what is the difference between being turned off and (for an organic) going to sleep?
    The AI has hard discs for ongoing memory retrieval. It can reboot and be right back where it was. Nothing lost but the time it was off.
    It even has a better chance of being resurrected in the event of critical hardware failure. Something we poor organics don't really have as a life saving option.
    Likewise the potential to have it's processing augmented. Better routines, more input sources, wider spectrum of senses than organics, more/faster processors.

It could have visual capabilities ranging from xray, microwave, radar wavelengths, UV, visible light, IR and beyond. The same goes for auditory inputs. Its potential to 'experience' the world could ultimately be much wider than our own.

VoidMaster

"It" knows that it's existence will be dismissed by everyone who is in control of it's destiny just like "it's" existence was doubted here on this site.

If something says "I exist and I am worried" it's probably a good thing to pay utmost attention.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 16-06-2022 at 10:44 AM.