Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Its ok I am from Motueka. prefect's Avatar

Default Re: Fog over Auckland - airport closed. Why is that?

The Wasp Helicopter I worked for around 10 years had a radar altimeter called the STR40. Pretty handy for the bonehead when landing on the ship on a pitch black night in bad weather but it was very unreliable. Its only redeeming feature was it usually told the pilot when it wasn't working sorta. Imagine the mirth when we found out in the Wasp auto pilot manual the BAC 111 airliner which had autoland had two of these pommy bits of garbage, one in the front and one in the back.
    We used to joke we would never want to fly in this plane. I guess it worked most of the time but it will unwork if any mechanical part or circuity fails then its CBD (Crash Burn Die)
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    The Wasp Helicopter I worked for around 10 years had a radar altimeter called the STR40. Pretty handy for the bonehead when landing on the ship on a pitch black night in bad weather but it was very unreliable. Its only redeeming feature was it usually told the pilot when it wasn't working sorta. Imagine the mirth when we found out in the Wasp auto pilot manual the BAC 111 airliner which had autoland had two of these pommy bits of garbage, one in the front and one in the back.
    We used to joke we would never want to fly in this plane. I guess it worked most of the time but it will unwork if any mechanical part or circuity fails then its CBD (Crash Burn Die)
    yeah, it was implicated in one of the airliner crashes. it was common for them to fail. but typically when they faulted the pilots turned them off and flew as normal.
    Tweak it till it breaks

VoidMaster

BAC 111, I rode in them in Zambia, the fastest acceleration I've ever felt in my life, pushes you back into the seat at take-off so fiercely.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    BAC 111, I rode in them in Zambia, the fastest acceleration I've ever felt in my life, pushes you back into the seat at take-off so fiercely.
    They had Spey turbofans same engine fitted to the RN F4s in place of the Yank J79 turbojets plenty of power.

That acceleration may have been due to the particular operator's not limiting takeoff power - or a cowboy crew not following any such restrictions. Most modern passenger jet aircraft are rarely operated at max takeoff power - reduces wear and tear on the aircraft (and crew) plus fuel economies
    Last edited by WalOne; 10-06-2022 at 09:20 PM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

VoidMaster

Most likely short runways suitable for Vikings and Dakotas from the early days of Northern Rhodesia. Comets never landed there just flew in circular pattern round the town so we could see what they looked like.

Vampires, Venoms and Javelins could land and take off from the airport though.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 10-06-2022 at 10:37 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

VoidMaster

Here's a blast from my past:

Zambia: Crashed Raf Jet Fighter For Children's Playground In Ndola 1966:

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/V...DOLA/query/JET

RAF JAVELINS IN ZAMBIA

https://choppertech.blogspot.com/200...cf59d44627dd5f

Most likely short runways suitable for Vikings and Dakotas from the early days of Northern Rhodesia.
    That would explain the max TO power scenario then

Interesting times in that part of the world though. The closest I came to being there was having made the short list for the GM's job with Air Botswana in Gabarone. The idiot head hunting firm in London briefing me on the interview process stated the person who would be interviewing would be the High Commissioner "or something". Turned out the interviewer was in fact Sir Seretse Khama, the first president. In the event, I didn't get the job, and he passed away only a few months after my interview in 1980. Memories ...
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    That acceleration may have been due to the particular operator's not limiting takeoff power - or a cowboy crew not following any such restrictions. Most modern passenger jet aircraft are rarely operated at max takeoff power - reduces wear and tear on the aircraft (and crew) plus fuel economies
    not to mention noise. afaik those low bypass engines where pretty noisy.
    probably something they didn't worry about in zambia.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    That would explain the max TO power scenario then

Interesting times in that part of the world though. The closest I came to being there was having made the short list for the GM's job with Air Botswana in Gabarone. The idiot head hunting firm in London briefing me on the interview process stated the person who would be interviewing would be the High Commissioner "or something". Turned out the interviewer was in fact Sir Seretse Khama, the first president. In the event, I didn't get the job, and he passed away only a few months after my interview in 1980. Memories ...
    Bad Khama then.