Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VoidMaster

Default All policing should be based on the Peel Principles

Came across this assertion whilst browsing Reddit:

All policing should be based on the Peel Principles:

The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder.

The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon public approval of police actions.

Police must secure the willing cooperation of the public in voluntary observance of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public.

The degree of cooperation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force.

Police seek and preserve public favor not by catering to the public opinion but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law.

Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient.

Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary.

The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Default Re: All policing should be based on the Peel Principles

Brilliantly expressed zqwerty. I'm an old fogey and miss "the constable on the beat" - familiar with people and vice versa. The current "centralised mode"(closures of suburban stations) relying on "cops in cars" has greatly reduced the positive interaction between police and public. The police officers who provide traffic and other safety topics to primary schools are classic examples of generating mutual respect and "approachability"

Have to agree Neil. The policeman on the beat was the greatest incentive to behave when I was a kid. None of this modern bullshite about being kind. A quick kick in the bum or a clip around the ears was all that was needed to put us right. Then the threat to tell your father, who would give you more of a hiding than the policeman did. Really kept you in line.

Ken

unfortunately that won't work here because police are an independent body, independent of govt and of the public.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    unfortunately that won't work here because police are an independent body, independent of govt and of the public.
    Top cop is appointed by the PM. They do exactly what the government says they should do. They are not independent of the government in any way, shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post

Police must secure the willing cooperation of the public in voluntary observance of the law .....
    Police seek and preserve public favor not by catering to the public opinion but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law.

Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary.
    The first 2 somewhat contradict each other. I can't see it working with a lot of crime either.Voluntary observance...

The last...mostly they do, the judges decide punishments, not the cops.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Top cop is appointed by the PM. They do exactly what the government says they should do. They are not independent of the government in any way, shape or form.
    no, sorry to say it doesn't happen that way.
    this was well shown when govt wanted protestors moved on and police said no.

police are intentionally independent of govt and can basically do what ever they like within the bounds of law, including telling govt where to go shove it. tho i think its judges who can wield power over them, but i'm not up on that sort of thing.
    you also see it when govt try to bring out new laws and police openly appose them.
    Tweak it till it breaks

For goodness sake.

Policing in NZ is done by consent, as evidenced by the recent occupation of the grounds of Parliament.

Here was our Police Force standing around scratching any place that itched, or didnít itch, awaiting consent from the protestors to move them on.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    no, sorry to say it doesn't happen that way.
    this was well shown when govt wanted protestors moved on and police said no.

police are intentionally independent of govt and can basically do what ever they like within the bounds of law, including telling govt where to go shove it. tho i think its judges who can wield power over them, but i'm not up on that sort of thing.
    you also see it when govt try to bring out new laws and police openly appose them.
    You have described quite well what, in theory, should happen . In practical terms the government of the day makes the laws and changes them however they desire and the police are required to follow them.
    How long do you think the top cop would last if he did anything the government did not want.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    You have described quite well what, in theory, should happen . In practical terms the government of the day makes the laws and changes them however they desire and the police are required to follow them.
    How long do you think the top cop would last if he did anything the government did not want.
    you need to flip that around.
    while govt makes the law, which in theory should control police, in reality police dictate what they do with it.
    while govt may appoint top cop, they have to appoint someone.

i think your missing the simple fact that police where deliberately setup independent of govt. thats fully intentional which has its good points and bad. govt cannot order them to do anything which is good and bad.
    Tweak it till it breaks