Default Install Windows 11

In order to install Windows 11, i need to enable TPM in the BIOS.

Is there anything else I need to do or that's all?

Are we still allowed to use Windows 7 Keys to activate Win11?

Thanks.

Default Re: Install Windows 11

The biggest stop is the CPU, if its not listed as compatible it wont install unless you use a altered version of W11. ALLOWED to use a W7 key ?? -- depends who you ask, Offically no- unoffically Yes a win 7 key will activate W11, as will a previously activated W10- motherboard. (just select I dont have a key)

Other "halts" may also Depend on if you are upgrading or fresh install.

If you download and run WhynotWin11 https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11 the Download is under the picture on that page.

This is what you get on a compatible PC as compared to the picture on that site.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhynotWin11.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	11323

Using a non standard install of W11 can result in an unstable PC. Got two Workshop PC's that had to be reinstalled back to W10, as the hardware (CPU) was not compatible, and there were so many crashes or lockups on W11 I reverted the PC ( 1 AMD 1 Intel). After putting W10 back, rock solid again. Any PC that is compatible, no problems.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 30-05-2022 at 09:49 PM.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

There was some "confusion" about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 11 - for the most part, it was "possible" but a PITA as you would have to perform a clean install of Windows 7 before you could upgrade to 11.

Personally, I would go--->Clean Windows 10 install - and try to use your Windows 7 key - there is no guarantee this will work as there was a "limited" time period for the free upgrade but I have seen multiple instances where this still works as long as you go from Windows 7 to Windows 10 then Windows 11.

The system requirements from MS are a bit confusing particularly around the CPU requirements... they list needing at a minimum 1Ghz CPU with at least 2 cores but they also announced that anything older than an Intel 8th Gen and I think Ryzen 1st Gen would not be "supported" - however it was proven that Windows 11 can be installed and would run on CPU's older than this.

The main sticking point with "older" CPU's is the presence of hardware based TPM, or firmware based TPM (fTPM for AMD / Platform Trust Technology (PTT) for Intel). Added to this is that the TPM version must be v2.0. For laptops this is not really an issue because most laptops (at least from the last 10 years) have a TPM chip and most of these would be on v2.0 (pretty much anything post 2015 is likley to have a TPM 2.0.)

The fuss about the Windows 11 TPM requirement is mainly because "most" Desktop computers up until recently do not come with a hardware TPM module installed on the motherboard (most did have a hardware TPM header but no TPM module installed... you'd have to purchase one after the fact) and/or did not have the fTPM enabled by default on the CPU (if it had one). Most motherboard manufacturers are release new BIOS updates where fTPM and PTT are now enabled buy default.

So you're options to upgrade to Windows 11 would largely be dictated by whether or not you could purchase a TPM module for your motherboard (assuming it supported TPM 2.0 of course) or if there was an firmware based TPM module on the CPU you have or are going to buy. If neither of these was present, the "advice" would be buy new hardware.

I have been recommending to most people not to upgrade to Windows 11 just yet if they are running on Windows 10 as it is supported until 2025, so unless you're running 6th gen Intel or pre-Ryzen 1st gen platform and your computer doesn't do what you need it to do in the time you need to do it in you should be ok to stick with Windows 10 for at least another 2 years or so. If you can't get things done in the time you need it done or not at all then buying a new computer is probably a better option... and this is where you will need to decide if you want to stick with Windows 10 or go all in with Windows 11. Again, I have been telling people to try and get Windows 10 on their new computers and upgrading it later to Windows 11.

Windows 10 is a very solid OS and to be honest, there is no real reason to move to Windows 11 right now unless you're in the market for a brand spanking new system and you do not upgrade very year or 2.

List of officially supported Intel CPU's for Windows 11 here

List of officially supported AMD CPU's for Windows 11 here

HTH

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
    Klevv 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

First see if your CPU supports Windows 11

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...amd-processors

If you have a supported CPU that still does not qualify TPM can be turned on in the BIOS,will be under security but dependent on what board you use