Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Climate change?

Default Re: Climate change?

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Why? It was another "Con Job" that came to nothing.
    Please explain what the Y2K Bug actually referred to. Many people in the computer industry do know, its the people who dont actually know who make such comments like "it was a con job" Sure a big disaster didn't happen but there were certain events that were sorted before hand. BUT not all.
    A nuclear energy facility in Ishikawa, Japan, had some of its radiation equipment fail,
    So What actually were the tech industry worried about?? (I Know, as do just about every tech) -- Do you ????
    Last edited by wainuitech; 23-05-2022 at 09:54 PM.

Why? It was another "Con Job" that came to nothing.
    I agree .
    Just like safety belts in cars. They made us all wear safety belts. Then what happened.....nothing
    They had this scam that we should put oil in in car engines. Then nothing happened, what a scam.

Of course you didnt see any Y2K issues, because it was fixed & tested before then.

VoidMaster

Too true, 1101.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    I agree .
    Just like safety belts in cars. They made us all wear safety belts. Then what happened.....nothing
    They had this scam that we should put oil in in car engines. Then nothing happened, what a scam.

Of course you didnt see any Y2K issues, because it was fixed & tested before then.
    But the Aeroplanes didnít fall out of the sky,

The North & South Poles didnít reverse killing our Power Supply. (Personally I donít think the generators could care less as long as they had one of each pole.)

The Sewerage didnít run up hill and invade out bathrooms.

There was no need to buy a zillion batteries to cope with the Power Failure.

There was no need to fill you bath and bottles with drinking water.

There was no need to stock the Pantry to the ceiling with food to stop you starving whilst the Experts attended to all these matters.

The list goes on, but just to top things off I purchased a new Printer that was Y2K compliant and it still canít tell me the time or date.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y2K.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	11321

And you try to tell me all these matters were attended to prior, which raises the question of why werenít we advised then?
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

And you try to tell me all these matters were attended to prior, which raises the question of why werenít we advised then?
    Probably because there are conspiracy theorists like you out there who would rave on and try make every one else uptight and worried thereby f...ing things up?

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Probably because there are conspiracy theorists like you out there who would rave on and try make every one else uptight and worried thereby f...ing things up?

Ken
    It wasnít me making up all the hogwash, it was the Government ably assisted by the Media.

The same as all the Climate Change BS.

They change the name from Global Warming to Climate Change because some dodgy scientists got caught fiddling the books (remember Climategate) and you canít argue Climate Change because it has been going on for hundreds of thousands of years and covers global cooling.

And I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I am a realist.

The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

They change the name from Global Warming to Climate Change because some dodgy scientists got caught fiddling the books (remember Climategate) and you canít argue Climate Change because it has been going on for hundreds of thousands of years and covers global cooling.
    Very true, B.M. I'm certain that everyone has heard of the Ice Age, although that should be Ice Ages. The Ice Ages began 2.4 million years ago and lasted until 11,500 years ago. During this time, the earth's climate repeatedly changed between very cold periods, during which glaciers covered large parts of the world and very warm periods during which many of the glaciers melted.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=th...client=gws-wiz
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

And I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I am a realist.
    That could be debated

Anyway, as its been pointed out most of the testing and any problems were already sorted.

Since you don't know here is the main reason tech was concerned.

Years back programmers often when writing programs didn't use the full 4 digit date, Eg 2022, they would have used 22.

Now the concern was that when the year 2000 rolled around some programs / computers may have mistaken the year 2000 for 1900 as only read the 00. If these computers were date critical like banking,(and name any other date critical device) "IF" they thought the year was 1900 all hell could break lose.

You only have to see it your self, try winding your computer clock ahead lets say 1 year -- Now watch the trouble it will have esp with certificates on a lot sites that need the correct date.

Adding to above, a full better description. Mr Realist https://www.britannica.com/technology/Y2K-bug

There's a couple of other dates approaching as well that are expected to cause possible problems, but some may not be alive to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    That could be debated

Anyway, as its been pointed out most of the testing and any problems were already sorted.

Since you don't know here is the main reason tech was concerned.

Years back programmers often when writing programs didn't use the full 4 digit date, Eg 2022, they would have used 22.

Now the concern was that when the year 2000 rolled around some programs / computers may have mistaken the year 2000 for 1900 as only read the 00. If these computers were date critical like banking,(and name any other date critical device) "IF" they thought the year was 1900 all hell could break lose.

You only have to see it your self, try winding your computer clock ahead lets say 1 year -- Now watch the trouble it will have esp with certificates on a lot sites that need the correct date.
    Yes, I was aware that some some older Computer Programmes had date problems, most of which could be easily fixed.

However, that doesn’t explain why I should fill my bath with water because water reticulation would stop. Or any of the others I have nominated.

On that subject, there was an article in the Herald back then, going on at length, about how a Video Hire Store, somewhere in America, lost their entire Database. It went on then to say it was installed by a local High School Student. And then the crunch, right at the end: He popped down and fixed it.

Yeah, I’m still laughing about it.

How the Hell did that make the News.

Anyway, I’m still asking for an answer as to why my Printer had to be Y2K compliant when it has about as much interest in the date as my lawn mower.

Have a happy day 44706