Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Climate change?

Older by the minute

Default Climate change?

I am sitting in a sheltered spot here in Auckland. The atmospheric temperature out of the sun is 70F (about 19C). My old fashioned thermometer shows that in direct line with the Sun shows a temp of 102F (about 35C). Considering that this is one month before the shortest day, I think it remarkable to have such a temperature at this time of the year.

Does this mean Earth has moved slightly closer to the Sun and know one has thought that this might be the reason of our supposed worldly temperature rise?

My personal belief, and has been for sometime, is that the earthly temperature rise has nothing to do with the supposed interference by mankind. It is just a natural phenomenon that has plagued us for eons.

Default Re: Climate change?

It has been cyclical since the beginning. I think we are moving into a warming cycle.

However, that said, we are certainly not helping Mother Nature with what we are doing to our planet.

But then, we are just a species that will end up extinct in the larger outlook!

My thoughts

Ken

Temperature and seasons have nothing to do with how close to the sun we are, to make a noticeable difference we would have to move a long way. The amount we move in our orbit has nothing to do with it. Summer is hotter because the days are longer and the sun is more directly overhead due to the tilt of the earth, that's it.

Climate change is indeed natural but to suppose 7+ billion people cutting down all the worlds forests and spewing millions of tons of pollution into the air does not have an effect is a bit of a stretch. Look around all the farmland in clean green NZ and imagine what it was like when it was all ancient forest, and we are one of the better countries comparatively.
    Magnify that by every country in the world.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Global Warming/Climate Change is the biggest Con Job since the Y2K Bug.

These are the guys who saved the planet by substituting Paper Bags with Plastic Bags.

Now look.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

My (potentially incorrect) understanding is that the Earths slightly eliptical orbit puts the planet closer to the sun during our (Southern Hemisphere) Summer.
    Add to this the tilt in the Earths axis of rotation, which also turns the Southern Hemisphere closer to the sun during our summer.

This in theory means southern hemi summers get more solar energy than northern hemi summers, and conversely, our southern winters get less solar energy (solar flux to be more precise) than northern hemi winters.

Our temps however don't reflect that, largely due to the massive energy buffer the southern waters provide, versus the more extreme temps that the northern hemi landmasses experience (water being a better heat buffer than land)

This might interest you guys.

https://youtu.be/iA788usYNWA

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Global Warming/Climate Change is the biggest Con Job since the Y2K Bug.

These are the guys who saved the planet by substituting Paper Bags with Plastic Bags.

Now look.
    The Oracle has spoken all hail the Oracle, writer of words, offerer of meaningless drivel and offerer of facts never.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    My (potentially incorrect) understanding is that the Earths slightly eliptical orbit puts the planet closer to the sun during our (Southern Hemisphere) Summer.
    Add to this the tilt in the Earths axis of rotation, which also turns the Southern Hemisphere closer to the sun during our summer.

This in theory means southern hemi summers get more solar energy than northern hemi summers, and conversely, our southern winters get less solar energy (solar flux to be more precise) than northern hemi winters.

Our temps however don't reflect that, largely due to the massive energy buffer the southern waters provide, versus the more extreme temps that the northern hemi landmasses experience (water being a better heat buffer than land)
    Nope, as I said distance isn't a factor, if you worked out the difference as a % it's tiny.

Better explanation here https://earthsky.org/earth/can-you-e...ost%20directly.

But Earthís distance from the sun doesnít change enough to cause seasonal differences. Instead, our seasons change because Earth tilts on its axis, and the angle of tilt causes the Northern and Southern Hemispheres to trade places throughout the year in receiving the sunís light and warmth most directly
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Re: Climate change? Before we can properly debate this, we need to know what you're proposing as an alternative to a climate. Free ice cream? A bounty on politician pelts? Repeal of Windows 11 with conditional pardons for Win 10 users?
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    This might interest you guys.

https://youtu.be/iA788usYNWA

Ken
    Good link Ken.

So the links provided by you and dugimodo along with many others explain the situation without mention of my Farting Cows and smokey VW Crombie.

My wife tells me there is a brainwashing documentary about Climate Change on TV tonight. S..T Stirrer!

I hope they explain that if you are in Australia, for instance, and drive an EV, you can gloat you never leave a Carbon Footprint.

Well NO, you leave your Footprint back at the the Coal Fired Power Station that produced the Electricity you used and itís bigger than if your EV was Coal Fired.

Bugger.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.