Thread: Inventory

Default Inventory

So we're insured...but I didn't have a list of my books.
    These are paper, not ebooks. I have a few of those but not many at all.

So if there was a fire, would I remember every title, probably not...some anthologies, some out of print, some reference books, non fiction etc.

So finally, I now have a backed up list.
    Took me ages.

And I don't have many 350....friend of mine had 6000 before he swapped most for ebooks.....
    Ex-pctek

Older by the minute

Default Re: Inventory

Very wise. Also do it for any CD/DVD collection. Nothing worse than trying to remember them all in the event of a fire and trying to prove what you had. Insurance Companies can be quite sceptical of such claims. A photo of you library if it is in shelves would also be helpful just to prove you did have a goodly collection and you weren't just making it up.

My CD collection is also ripped to my laptop and two other backups. Ripped as .flac so not too much of a hardship if I lost them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    A photo of you library if it is in shelves would also be helpful just to prove you did have a goodly collection and you weren't just making it up.
    Perhaps. I doubt they'd think I went to the trouble of picking titles most would never have heard of though, not not considered valuable or even popular....
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    And I don't have many 350....friend of mine had 6000 before he swapped most for ebooks.....
    how many of those will you actually re-read ?

I made the hard choice of throwing most of mine into the recycling , rather than just have them sitting on a shelf for the rest of my life , never to be read again .
    Its not easy throwing out books , given what they cost, especially hardbacks .

Older by the minute

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Perhaps. I doubt they'd think I went to the trouble of picking titles most would never have heard of though, not not considered valuable or even popular....
    Believe me. I worked for 55 years in the industry and I know how bloody minded they can be.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    how many of those will you actually re-read ?

All of them, all the time. They are the reread ones. None have never been read.

Heaps of times, some have had to be replaced because they fell apart. That I can anyway, one or two are very hard to get now and look rather repaired as a result.

I've read way more than that.
    That's why I have them. I read a book...(or occasionally DNF)....and then read it again, later. If it passes that, I keep it. If not I take it to the 2nd hand bookshop and try, usually failing these days, to find another.

And a long time before, went to libraries, most of them, ran out of what they had and found the second hand shops. Went round them and found the one in Ponsonby. After a while she let me out back where there was room stuffed floor to ceiling full of SF. I read from A to Z. I used to take most back.
    I was forced to read new ones then.

I owned a bookshop once, new and used , that's when I started keeping my favorites. So yes it's not many...that friend of mine is the same. Except he has way more...did when his were paper too.
    He kept the signed and limited edition stuff mostly and some out of print, the rest he bought as ebooks. But he's richer than me too.

Can't imagine not having a book. Movies, music, TV I can live without, books never.
    Last edited by piroska; 17-05-2022 at 02:45 PM.
    Ex-pctek

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...fiction_novels

There wouldn't be a lot I haven't read.
    And Fantasy, well I used to read a fair bit...but decided I wasn't into it....nowadays there are a few authors and a few I own, it still is mainly SF though.

A few mainstream, a few classics, and of course non fiction sometimes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Books1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	11319
    Crap pic but whatever.
    Last edited by piroska; 17-05-2022 at 02:57 PM.
    Ex-pctek

Older by the minute

Good girl. That picture might help you one day.