Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When should I go from Win 10 to Win 11?

I am on Win 10 pro 64 bit with Intel I-7 and 16gb ram. 512SSD.
    I am fully updated except for the 1 Windows Optional update.

I trend to procrastinate so have been delaying- ignoring the daily "this laptop is Win 11 compatible/capable "messages.

I have also seen (not precise wording) -some Win 10 features are not available in Win 11.

Should I stop procrastinating and take the plunge and install Win 11?
    Guidance and comments appreciated.
    Neil

Older by the minute

Default Re: When should I go from Win 10 to Win 11?

Others will advise but I have moved to Win 11 and think it is very good. Absolutely no complaints.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

I have been advising people to stick with Windows 10 - it will be up for "End of Life" in 2025 - the only "compelling" reason at the moment to go to Windows 11 is that has "better" (take that with a grain of salt) support for Intel's new eCore/pCore technology found in their current 12th Gen CPU's.

12th Gen is slated to be replaced by their 13th Gen Raptor Lake CPU's at the end of the year... and there is no telling whether Windows 10 or 11 for that matter will be the "better" platform.

Microsoft is pushing hard to get people to move to Windows 11 because they have gone all in with it... and part of that initiative is working with Intel CPU compatibility. Think of it as a "Built for Intel" / "Built for Windows 11" campai[g]n... where WE the customer experience all the pain....

I have personally tried Windows 11 myself through several pre/post launch releases and I have always run into issues whether it be compatible software or some of the games I play... my biggest "issues" have however been with their "new user interface"... I found it highly un-intuitive and not very user friendly... they changed things, removed things and added things which didn't really make all that much sense... something as simple as being able to not group task bar icons they decided was no longer necessary... because it makes the interface look cleaner and tidier.... most people found it a pain in the @$$ because it made "navigating" around what you had open a tedious process because you had to hover/click on the group to then see what was open as opposed to the "old"
    way which allows you to see things like the title of the "Webpage a specific browser window has open... especially helpful if you run multiple browsers for web development and you want to keep track of what is open where.

Anyways.... there is nothing wrong with moving to Windows 11 as long as your system meets the recommended specs (which in itself is a whole other story) and as long as you are willing to "risk" potentially having some wonky stuff happen with software etc. for the most part is "should" be ok because after all, Windows 11 is just Windows 10 with "new clothes on".

Conversely, there is also nothing wrong with sticking to Windows 10... it will continue to receive support and most applications will also continue to have a Windows 10 "version" for at least the next 3-4 years for the simple fact that there are currently more Windows 10 users than Windows 11, so they are not going to stop keeping their applications up to date for Windows 10 simply because Windows 11 is being peddled (by Microsoft and Intel) as the next new fad.

There is really no rush to move to Windows 11 unless of course MS decide to just can support out of the blue.... unlikely given they would still have to provide billions of dollars worth of "Enterprise" customer business support... and we all know how much Microsoft (and Intel) love $$$ so they won't do too much to slow the cashflow.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
    Klevv 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Old guy

It is entirely up to you, if you have difficulty with learning to use new software and are unable to use Google to ask how to do anything which is not obvious stay with 10 otherwise the move to windows 11 is a no brainer. It is not perfect but it is very good and better than its predecessors.

Personal preference, for me I'm sticking with 10 until my next upgrade.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I prefer Win10 over Win11
    All because the user interface on 10 is better (as mentioned above)

eg : copy & paste mouse right clicks : just awefull on 11
    I also couldnt remove orphaned program shortcuts/icons from the start menu on the NEW 11 laptop I setup yesterday, after I uninstalled some preloaded crapware . (usual fixes wouldnt remove orphaned shortcuts in start menu)
    eg : the new 'settings' menu is awefull , and harder to find the settings you want to change ."settings" looks tidier : but thats because everything is buried in hard to find sub menus .

11 is really just new lipstick & a wig on windows 10 .
    So either will do the same job .

When there is talk of users installing a 3rd party program to 'fix' the Win11 interface , then you know MS stuffed up
    https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/...ace-start-menu
    https://windowsreport.com/windows-11...u-replacement/
    Last edited by 1101; 11-05-2022 at 09:32 AM.

This bit is really quite funny
    When there is talk of users installing a 3rd party program to 'fix' the Win11 interface
    When Windows 10 1st came out there was a big rush from Software manufactures to make add-ins that turned the Start back to Windows 7 because no one liked W10.

NOW its happening all over again, -- People dont like Windows 11 Start - So lets turn it back to W10 who originally the same people didn't like.

One member here messaged me with an alternative Version of W11, that has StartAllBack installed to return the menus and other setting back to W10 -- What a ****en mess they made of that. The OS alterations (many things turned off) is fine and the OS runs really nice.

Couldn't agree with you more, WT!

But everyone to their own. Personly, it's Win 11 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    This bit is really quite funny When Windows 10 1st came out there was a big rush from Software manufactures to make add-ins that turned the Start back to Windows 7 because no one liked W10.

NOW its happening all over again, -- People dont like Windows 11 Start - So lets turn it back to W10 who originally the same people didn't like.

And what does that tell you
    Its all started with Win8 , when MS removed the program menu completely , despite all the objections (then had to put it back, in 8.1)

It tells me when theres a market for start menu replacements , and people are installing them, then MS have screwed up .

" no one liked W10"
    ..... really ???
    Win10 was widely accepted as being a good replacement for Win7 .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    " no one liked W10"
    ..... really ???
    Win10 was widely accepted as being a good replacement for Win7 .
    yes Really ---- So why then were many people wanting the Windows 10 interface replacements to convert back to Windows 7 layout ???

W8 was to big a change for a lot of people, that's one reason MS changed back to similar ( note similar not exact) as W7.

While Win 10 is not completely different to W7 it is still different. I seem to remember a LOT of people complaining about the tiles / layout in W10 and wanting the W7 interface, because W10 was "to hard and different".