Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Extinction: The Facts - David Attenborough

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7w7wxr

INteresting.

Oh but never mind, an electric car will fix it right? Or hydrogen. Not.
    And never mind the billion people in India...as explained the consumption of resources by the lkes of the UK in comparison...etc.

We deserve to vanish, we're so dumb.
    Ex-pctek

Default Re: Extinction: The Facts - David Attenborough

I agree with you Piroska. Over population is the core reason for adverse climate change. More people needing land -strip rain forests, more people to feed convert more land to food production and forget that more production and energy is required to enable such. More people produce more rubbish -some dispose of it carelessly -polluted rivers/oceans etc.. Certainly fossil fuels have a significant role but why -they are in heavier use because their energy is needed to produce more goods and services for more people.

I was watching an Avengers movie and some big dude wiped out half the planet's population - and he was the bad guy??

Seemed sensible to me.

If it was me I'd just get rid of China, India and South Auckland, and start again with population control.

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    If it was me I'd just get rid of China, India and South Auckland, and start again with population control.
    Part of the point is, smaller nations use more resources, up to 7 times the likes of India, per person.
    Can't blame part of the world...that's the other issue, no-one sees the whole picture, it's always The Others who need to change, not everyone.

And thus humans doom themselves.
    Well, maybe the next species to merge will be an improvement.
    Ex-pctek

It amazes me that people in New Zealand blame the cows farting for global warming! Never mind the extensive pollution caused by humans at war encouraged by inefficient, power hungry politicians who can not compromise, and come to an agreement. We have all these suits strutting about full of themselves, talking all the time but not actually doing anything. If I had my way, vaccinations for Coved-19 would be suspended to let the Virus do its job and reduce the human population. People who die from it are usually defective in some way, or old. Lock-downs are a waste of time, they ruin the economy, make people depressed, and only delay the inevitable. After all, just because you have been locked away doesn't prevent the virus attacking you as soon as you return to the outside world.The best we can do is try to keep healthy, avoid crowds, control the politicians, and stop polluting.

mzee, agree with you on this one. Back in the 70's NZ had over 80 million sheep, remember the "sheep" jokes, surely that's comparable to the number of cows now.

We keep saying there are too many people, but what are we doing about this.

lurking.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post

We keep saying there are too many people, but what are we doing about this.

lurking.
    Trying to keep as many people alive as possible with mandatory vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    blame the cows farting for global warming! let the Virus do its job and reduce the human population. People who die from it are usually defective in some way, or old. Lock-downs are a waste of time, they ruin the economy,
    Ah yes, the economy.
    The reason for blaming cows, cause we wouldn't want to say it's humans. How many human farts per day?
    The economy is a big cause of our self destruction, consume, waste, consume, add more people so there are more buyers...and on and on.
    Ex-pctek

VoidMaster

The words said above may apply to the world as a whole but for us New Zealand is underpopulated so we should be setting up fortress NZ and increasing our manufacturing capabilities so we can be more independent of world market vagaries, this world market is a stupid idea as all it does is increase the possibility of failure in the supply chains as we are seeing now.

We should be strengthening our armed forces to deal with unwanted refugees arriving on our shores in the future.

We should have a much higher standard of living than we do at present but we are listening to overseas ideas of how to run our economy which do not apply to our situation.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    we should be setting up fortress NZ and increasing our manufacturing capabilities .....

We should have a much higher standard of living than we do at present...
    Nope , x2
    Fortress NZ & increase local manufacturing : NZ tried that & it failed. Korea , Russia tried that & it failed
    NZ has a far too small population to do this efficently .
    Are we going to try making TV's , radios, cars again. Are we willing to pay 5x -10x the price , just so we can say its made locally ?

Why should NZ have a high std of living ? just saying we should is ignoring reality.
    NZ is a farming based economy. Historically, farming based economies have been the poor economies .

Look at it from a world view, on average , NZ has a well above av std of living . That will slowly average out & drop us down to where we should be , ie below global (population) average , ie poor farm based economy
    Last edited by 1101; 10-05-2022 at 12:05 PM.