Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wireless Broadband for 2 weeks

We're moving into our new place this week and despite scheduling Enable a couple of weeks in advance they have given us a date of the 20th May to connect fibre. This is a bit of a problem as I work some days from home and have a wife and kids who will murder each other without streaming.
    Are there any carrier or ISP wifi options for 2 weeks (or a month) that can tie us over? We can hot spot off our phones but that's a bit clunky with the number of devices we have. I'd like to be able to plug something into my router and feed the whole house through the access points.

I've found some options but they're all 12 month contracts. My current plan is to buy the cheapest phone that supports USB tethering and share the connection to my switch from my desktop. Not ideal but I can't think of any other easy option.

Default Re: Wireless Broadband for 2 weeks

probably not a bad way to go. I know 2 degrees used to have a 120gb datapack you could buy. Which might cover you? Depends what you'll use it for.

Some routers will take a usb modem as a failover, the old usb data sticks you used to get. Or a travel modem which just presents a wifi network.

Does Enable have an option? especially as they're the ones you can't make the time frame despite notice.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Talk nice to the New Neighbours, see if they will let you borrow theirs for a couple of weeks --- Don't laugh, I know a couple of people who actually do that. They have a Ethernet Cable running between houses connected to a switch at one end, and split the Monthly bill

Quote Originally Posted by hueybot3000 View Post
    20th May to connect fibre. This is a bit of a problem as I work some days from home and have a wife and kids who will murder each other without streaming.
    Who is your ISP? When I got fibre, SPark gave me wireless broadband meanwhile (no ADSL available) while we waited. It was awful but better than nothing.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by psycik View Post

Does Enable have an option? especially as they're the ones you can't make the time frame despite notice.
    Enable are nowhere near that helpful unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Talk nice to the New Neighbours, see if they will let you borrow theirs for a couple of weeks --- Don't laugh, I know a couple of people who actually do that. They have a Ethernet Cable running between houses connected to a switch at one end, and split the Monthly bill
    This is actually a good idea. In our case the cable run would be long and awkward but I get along with them at least so it's a possibility. I'll keep that as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Who is your ISP? When I got fibre, SPark gave me wireless broadband meanwhile (no ADSL available) while we waited. It was awful but better than nothing.
    Vodafone. No such offer from them although it was my wife who called and she typically doesn't push as hard as I would. We don't need break kneck speed in the short term. Just enough to have one or two youtube streams and some light browsing, emails etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hueybot3000 View Post
    Enable are nowhere near that helpful unfortunately.

Well try Spark, they should let you have a no contract one.
    Ex-pctek

Bleakly Optomistic

With Spark, they said my current option was the best option. unlimited phone data for $79 and $10 for unlimited tethering, but speeds go down to 1mb/s after 40gb use. Okay for me, but probably not a family.

Try Skinny

I think I've sussed it out. Picked up a 4G modem off trademe and have confirmed with Spark that I just need to go into store to pickup a sim. I have to sign up on a $60/month unlimited plan but it's open term so I'll cancel it once I've activated it and then I'm sweet.

Just to wrap this one up. I've spent a month on the 4g plan. It was actually really good, 130mb down and 20mb up. Can't complain. The best bit was that in signing up with Spark (open plan, $60/month) they gave me a $200 gift card.
    I used the plan for one month then cancelled with 30 days notice. So basically I spent $120 on two months internet. If you factor in the gift card they effectively paid me $80 to use their internet for two months :-)

I was actually so impressed with their service (in store and online chat) that I've now ditched vodafone for their fibre max plan. Hopefully that transition is smooth next month.