Default HP Pavilion G7, Windows 10

Am trying to fix friends' laptop so it's at least usable. The problem is HP doesn't support Windows 10 for drivers and the system is crazy slow.
    Owner says it was updated to be compatible with other PC's at work and that's when the trouble started.

Display adaptor: AMD Radeon HD7640G
    CPU: AMD A8-4500M APU 1.9Gz
    Ram: 8GB
    64bit
    10years old?

Updated to Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Is there a workaround? Generic drivers perhaps??
    Go back to Windows 8? (sticker on back), is that even possible now?

Please advise, thanks.

Default Re: HP Pavilion G7, Windows 10

The problem I found with most older AMD's is the Graphics. As well as a Bad HDD. (esp if mechanical) and Not a SSD.

Windows 10 will usually install others fine but don't support old AMD. Go into the Device manager and uninstall ALL the Graphics and their drivers, use DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details...-download.html Download s are further down the page. Try it with basic Drivers that come with Windows, you can still change the resolution just wont have the ability to "tweak" some things.

Make sure its NOT connected to the internet as Windows will try to reinstall them. See if it comes more stable. If it does, the trick is then to stop updates.

On another computer download the trouble-shooter transfer to Laptop, the cab file https://pureinfotech.com/hide-updates-windows-10/ #1 under Hide cumulative updates using trouble-shooter connect to the internet, run it and select the AMD drivers. Tell it to hide them.

The reason for downloading on another PC is if connected to the internet Windows updates will bring them through again before you have a chance to stop them.

Being Pro theres several aways https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...lly-windows-10
    Last edited by wainuitech; 01-05-2022 at 09:27 AM.

Don't windows 8 drivers normally work for windows 10? not sure but I thought they did.

Windows 10 can run fairly well on older/slower hardware so it should be ok in theory. I have a dual core low powered i3 7series NUC with 8gb of RAM that runs the home version just fine, not slow at all. Does have an SSD though.

Edit: Also AMD have some older drivers https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/a...adeon-hd-7640g
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Thanks guys.

DDU uninstall drivers then force windows to use basic driver works best. No updates for 35 days.
    (The older drivers listed by Dugi were an improvement though).

One more self inflicted problem. I was installing Windows in the wee hours of the morning. It asked for a Microsoft account user/password. Not having the owners ones, I put my own in. How to remove myself as Admin and instate the owner, the easy way without complication? Can I simply create an "Other User" account as Admin then delete mine?

Lastly it's overheating. Speccy says temps between 50c and 84c. I suppose it means there's lint jammed in the cpu heatsink?

You could install CCleaner Professional which will scan the computer, download & install any missing drivers, and replace/update incorrect ones. CCleaner Pro has a 14 day trial period, after which it reverts to the standard free version. This gives plenty of time to do the job. I have used it several times with no problems. Worth a try, costs nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird650 View Post
    One more self inflicted problem. I was installing Windows in the wee hours of the morning. It asked for a Microsoft account user/password. Not having the owners ones, I put my own in. How to remove myself as Admin and instate the owner, the easy way without complication? Can I simply create an "Other User" account as Admin then delete mine?

Lastly it's overheating. Speccy says temps between 50c and 84c. I suppose it means there's lint jammed in the cpu heatsink?
    user name / Password -- You dont have to actually use a MS account. There's a small trick to installing without one, but thats to late now. Suggest you 1st switch to a local account. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...unt-windows-10 Then create the actual users account as local ( make sure its set to Admin) , and log in, then delete the original account.

Heat -- Some HP's had a habit of running VERY hot ( bad design) but if the fans / Ducts are clear and the paste is OK between the Cooler to the CPU, not much else you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird650 View Post
    Owner says it was updated to be compatible with other PC's at work and that's when the trouble started.
    Then wouldnt his works IT be the ones to have to fix it ?

Its almost allways a Hard Drive slowdown issue .
    Install a SSD . That usually fixes slow PC's . His hardware specs arnt terrible otherwise

Im seeing more & more PC's & laptops where the HD runs extremely slow , much slower than it used to be .
    SSD allways fixes those .

edit, if its running too hot the CPU MIGHT be getting throttled (CPU speed dropped) to get temps down

Would like to know the trick to installing without user account. It caused me lots of grief, including crashing my onedrive.
    So I created users account as Admin & Local. I deleted my email address from accounts but I don't see my user login account to be able to delete it... or have I already removed it with the email deletion?

This laptop might be better than before but it's still somewhat slow, especially cold boot is about 5min, hot reboot maybe a minute quicker.
    Is it possible to re-instate windows 8? Feeling reluctant to give it back to owner the way it is.

Owner doesn't work at the place where it got updated anymore, not for some time either.

HDD was my first thought re slowness. Crystal disk does ping it as good. It's a good thought tho...
    I run a SSD in my 11yo desktop and it boots 5 -10 times faster, old Sandybridge, 8GB

What would I need to identify about a suitable SSD? Looking at Speccy it reports existing HDD as ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB, Sata2
    Will talk to owner, this might be an option.

Great thought re heat throttling speed. Just viewed a Youtube re cleaning out the CPU cooler, yikes! Ok have done a couple cleanouts before but ...

Would like to know the trick to installing without user account. It caused me lots of grief, including crashing my onedrive.
    So I created users account as Admin & Local. I deleted my email address from accounts but I don't see my user login account to be able to delete it... or have I already removed it with the email deletion?

??? What ???
    Install Win10 with local not live a/c : dont connect to internet when promted to do so , during the install phase
    Install without an a/c : cant

especially cold boot is about 5min, hot reboot maybe a minute quicker.
    HDD was my first thought re slowness. Crystal disk does ping it as good. It's a good thought tho...

either & complete wipe & re-install of Win
    or install a SSD.
    Its almost allways the old HD, failing HD's can & do pass every test I throw at them. SSD ALLWAYS fixes the issue