Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Download bank statement to Excel

Thanks Wainuitech, my installation is W10, apparently I can't upgrade to W11. I can get to file location at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16, which is the same as yours except for the (x86), I can't seem to get to "open with" am I just an elderly obtuse citizen?

Quote Originally Posted by Brucem View Post
    Thanks Wainuitech, my installation is W10, apparently I can't upgrade to W11. I can get to file location at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16, which is the same as yours except for the (x86), I can't seem to get to "open with" am I just an elderly obtuse citizen?
    What I showed was basically a two step (once only needed) 1st step, locate the actual Excel.exe file to get its full actual path, Then 2nd step from the Statement Right click that and open with.

Sorry this is taking so much time. My trouble seems to be that when I right click on Excel.exe I do not get an Open with, the panel has the following commands: Open, Run as Administrator, Share with Skype, Troubleshoot Compatability, Pin to Start, Move to One Drive, Share, Pin to Task Bar, Scan with Malwarebytes, Restore Previous Version, Send To >, Cut, Copy, Create a Shortcut, Delete, Rename, Properties. But no "Open With", without which I can't get any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucem View Post
    My trouble seems to be that when I right click on Excel.exe I do not get an Open with,.
    You wont get that option on the exe -- watch the video. You ONLY go to the actual exe to get its real location so when you click on "look for another App on this PC' ( 11sec in video) you know where to aim it.

You RIGHT CLICK the STATEMENT you downloaded from Westpac.

Video link again https://streamable.com/71a1ud

If you get really stuck, I can remote into your computer is you want and change it, using the inbuilt Remote on windows 10 (simple to use) , BUT of course would need to arrange a day and time,via private Messengers', then make sure both here as I would need to give you a one time code to enter.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 06-05-2022 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks for your efforts, I still can’t get it to work. What I have done is:
    1 Right click on .csv file in downloads,
    2 Open with,
    3 Choose another app,
    4 More apps,
    5 Tick “Always use this app to open .csv files,
    6 Look for another app on this PC,
    This brings up C:\Program Files, then
    7 Microsoft Office,
    8 Root,
    9 Office 16
    10 EXCEL.EXE
    Then I get the same old error message:
    “This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.”

Note that on my computer:
    1 C:\ contains both Program Files, and Program Files (x86) folders.

2 Program Files folder contains:
    MS Office 15 which contains ClientX64 folder that contains Integrated office.exe, and OfficeClicktoRun.exe files.
    and Office 16 which contains 5 files.

3 root folder contains:
    Office 15 folder which is empty, and
    Office 16 which contains lots of files including EXCEL.EXE

I am reasonably sure that I am doing what I should be doing, and I suspect that something wrong with the folders/files on the machine.

From what you wrote sounds right. So somewhere the system files have got them sleeve's in a knot thinking the previous is still installed.

Can you open the statement by opening Excel as a blank, then from File - Open - Browse (navigate to where the statement is) and select it. ???

You can try running a system check, may or may not sort the problem, to do that, click in the search, type in CMD Select " run as Administrator" then in the window that opens type in sfc /scannow Press enter let it do its thing.

Thanks Wainuitech,

I opened the file from EXcel, Data, get data, from text/CSV. Then navigate to file in downloads.

I also ran sfc/scannow, which reported that corrupt files had beed found and sucessfully repaired, and quoted the CBS log which didn't mean much to me.

Is this too simple? Use a good uninstaller programme (not just Windows uninstaller) e.g. Revo uninstaller. Totally uninstall all excel system files -may as well do the entire Office suite. You have not lost your data files.
    Then go into Apps and download /reinstall Microsoft 365 in its entirety.(I assume you have a paid licence)

Otherwise phone Westpac IT (albeit good luck on their level of expertise depending which individual your speak with.

Thanks Neil, you may well be right, not only am I having the download problem that I can work around, but sometimes Outlook won't open, and when I close the machine down after not being able to open outlook, it says Outlook is still open! My problem is that I do not have a key, although I only purchased office 365 on 22 April. I have replied to the MS email, asking for it, to no effect. Is there any way to get it without relying on MS to wake up and answer?

You wont get a key for Office 365.

When you 1st installed it, you will have to have made up a MS account for Office and entered a registration key (different to product key), so all you do is go to www.office.com/myaccount Sign in and there will be the install /downloaded, already activated to the original key.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Office 365.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	11320

IF you only installed the trial from within windows then you need to pay for it, there is NO FREE Office 365 unless you are using the online version, which wont be installed on the actual Computer.