Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Download bank statement to Excel

I have for years downloaded our credit card ststement to Excel. I have just changed from Excel 2010 to the 365 version, and the system wants to download to the old version, which of course is not there. How do I get it where I want it?

Default Re: Download bank statement to Excel

All depends on who your bank is.

I Bank with ANZ and Westpc, Westpac only allows PDF downloads, but if you select export instead and select a date range its various Program formats, Eg: CSV, QIF etc. (No Excel)

ANZ - you can down load a statement but that by default is PDF (no other options), if you Export and select a date range, there's several formats including Excel.

What you can do is download the statement as CSV, and Excel will open it.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 29-04-2022 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks Wainuitech, my bank for this account is Westpac; I did it the way you suggested, which is exactly what I have previousy done. The downloaded csv file appeared in the download folder (about 8 times!), but the old excel logo appeaed, and nothing happened. I had previously removed the old excel version. I eventually got it into excel 365 by opening excel, and opening the file from the download folder. Is there a way to avoid the extra step?

Old guy

Right click and open with. Have a good look at what you have selected to open csv files with in your current settings.

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head, is that the old office wasn't fully removed.

Try going into the settings - Apps - Default apps, locate all files relating to Excel, Word and make sure Office 365 version is set to open by default.

The other way to change (may be a bit quicker) is set from "Open With" Have a read, scroll down the page a little to "Set your default programs/apps manually" - (not writing it all out ) https://www.easytweaks.com/set-offic...lsx-docx-pptx/

All of our numerous banks, utilities, share registries,etc, we just double click on the attachment and they pop-up in PDF format.

Even on the old XP pc, wowww, that's something, ehhh.

lurking.

Thanks Wainuitech, I have successfuly removed previous versions of Excel, and been through the Easy Tweeks process as far as I can.

From Control panel, to Default programs, to Set your Default Programs; part way down the list there are 4 options, I used Choose defined apps by file types. This comes up with a list of file extensions .xxx etc. .csw is assigned to Excel. This may well be the result of my previous attempts, as I have been through this process several times.

Now, when I try to open a download from Westpac, I get an error message saying "This action is only valid for products that are currendtly installed." The machine has been restarted at least once since this stage.

The option from that previous Link, to "Set your default programs/apps manually" Works fine ( or should) just downloaded a CVS file from Westpac and Excel opened it as it should. You HAVE to select excel that's installed, not a previous version if that shows.

I have done what has been described, but I still get that message implying that Excel is NOT installed. As far as I know I have only the 365 version of Excel installed, indeed when I still had the 2910 version (or parts of it) installed it tried to download to the old version. Since loading 365 I have used the new versions of Outlook, Excel, Word, and Access satisfactorily so they MUST be installed.

The "Choose default apps by file type" screen shows

".csv Microsoft Excel Comma Separated Values.and an new style Excel logo."

It seems to me that the new version is not being fully recognised.

Open Excel as a blank, File - open navigate to the .cvs file, it should open. See if it asks to open in future with excel. If does - Yes

With Open With --- Sometimes you have to scroll right down to the bottom and select " Look for another App on this PC" You want the Actual exe file not a shortcut (but that can do) To locate the actual exe, click the start, locate Excel ( that's only a shortcut anyway) RIGHT click the excel icon - open file location - look at the Icon if its got a shortcut symbol, repeat the right click on it and it will open the actual exe location. Once there, click in the address bar copy it. Mine for example is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16 " Then when you go open with -- Look for another App on this PC MAKE SURE YOU TICK Always use ---- Paste in the previous location, press enter, select Excel.

The cvs should open.

This is on W11 using Office 365, same procedure on W10 EXCDPT th eexe may differ on W10. ( above instructions)

VIDEO- https://streamable.com/71a1ud