Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't anyone play a bugle any more?

I was very disappointed to hear them playing the Last Post at Anzac services around the country, on the news, on a trumpet. Is a bugle too difficult? It just does not sound the same. A bugle has a raw sound to it - the sound of a trumpet is too pure. So why a trumpet?

The only place I heard a bugle was on a story on the news about an Anzac parade in Sydney. So much better.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: Can't anyone play a bugle any more?

Does it matter? The point is meant to be remembering the dead people....and which most forget - the horror and pointlessness of war.
    Ex-pctek

VoidMaster

Looking at battlefields:

"Behold the grass, all that remains of the dreams of warriors."

The book takes its title from a haiku poem by the great 17th century Japanese haiku poet, Matsuo Basho. In his poem, Basho looks at a field where a battle once took place. “Summer grasses,” he writes, are “all that remains / of great warriors' dreams.”
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Does it matter?
    You have said yourself that you are not musical so you would obviously not perceive the difference.

But apart from that difference, playing the last post on a bugle is traditional. Perhaps you don't care about tradition either?

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    You have said yourself that you are not musical so you would obviously not perceive the difference.

But apart from that difference, playing the last post on a bugle is traditional. Perhaps you don't care about tradition either?
    Mate, just chill. This was probably a bit more obnoxious than was necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    Mate, just chill. This was probably a bit more obnoxious than was necessary.
    So what you're saying is that you can't tell the difference and you don't care either. Oh well, we can't all be musical.

Roscoe...Roscoe...Roscoe.

And no, I'm not. I've never understood sheet music or been able to work out how a guitarist knows where to put his fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    And no, I'm not. I've never understood sheet music or been able to work out how a guitarist knows where to put his fingers.
    It's like any other skill that you master. If you had a musical upbringing you would know that, but as I said, we all can't be musical. You most probably have other skills that musicians do not have. And, of course, you need to be interested as well, which you obviously are not.

And so far as knowing where to put his fingers on the guitar - that is just something that you learn. It's not difficult. All you need is the motivation and the interest to learn.

But I hope that you at least enjoy music and that music is a small part of your life, otherwise it could be a rather dull existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Perhaps you don't care about tradition either?
    Hah, probably.

Tradition is nothing but ancestral peer pressure.

Tradition is the living faith of those now dead.

In countries around the world, Human Rights Watch has documented how discriminatory elements of traditions and customs have impeded, rather than enhanced, people’s social, political, civil, cultural, and economic rights.

I could list a bunch of "traditions" but let's not get off the subject completely.
    Ex-pctek

Yes, get back to tradition, and play it on a trumpet

"The "Last Post" is either an A or a B♭ bugle call, primarily within British infantry and Australian infantry regiments, or a D or an E♭ cavalry trumpet call in British cavalry and Royal Regiment of Artillery (Royal Horse Artillery and ....."

"The famous tune is usually played on a trumpet, cornet, or bugle,"

"Over the years, the piece has changed - not in the music but in the performance. Notes are held for longer, the pauses extended, the expression more mournful, so that it now lasts around 75 seconds, rather than the 45 seconds it used to take to mark the end of the day. And it has been infused by a mass of memories and memorials, so that what was once jaunty is now simply sorrowful.

OMG, so the last post has changed & evolved over the several hundred years.
    So what is this "traditional" way . Do we go back to the 1700's and play it that way ?
    Last edited by 1101; 27-04-2022 at 08:51 AM.