Default Using Powerline network device and router to extend wireless range

I need to improve the wireless range of my fibre Huawei HG659 router. It is located the furthermost distance to the rear corner of the house which needs internet access. Moving it is not an option.

I have a Powerline network device that only has a ethernet port. This has a acceptable network speed when plugged in the target room. I had this idea to use an old Netcomm NF4V and connect the WAN port to the Powerline network device, and then have it broadcast the wireless signal and use the Huawei as gateway to provide the internet access. Is this possible and easy to set up? My network fiddling skills are basic.

Not sure if is more sensible and easier just to get a Powerline network device that comes with wireless extender.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Using Powerline network device and router to extend wireless range

Some Routers can change quite happy to an access point, others dont always work to well.

Generally you would log into the Router, disable dhcp and have a look through the Settings, some have a dedicated option to use as an access point.

If you already have EOP's then if the NF4V ends up being to much "trouble" you can simply buy a actual Access Point - Then theres plenty to select from A basic Access point, https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-netw...int/tl-wa801n/

The power line Adapters with wireless I use ( countless times) are https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-netw...tl-wpa4220kit/

I do exactly that with an old TPlink ADSL router to extend my wifi into the garage. Works pretty well although I did have a few goes at setting it up before I got it right. It can take a bit of mucking about but it's free if you already have the hardware so why not give it a go.

Couple of points to add to the above from Wainui:

Change the IP address of the NF4V so it's different from your main router or set it to obtain one automatically. If both routers have the same default address you will need to do this before connecting it to your network. If you set it manually you want an address outside the pool your DHCP router will assign just to prevent possible conflicts. In my case my fibre router is 192.168.1.1 and my TPlink router is set to 192.168.1.254 and I've set DHCP to assign addresses from .10 to .100 which is more than I need

Use a LAN port not the WAN port - you are using it as a switch / access point not as a router

If there's a DHCP relay option turn it off.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Thanks both.

I did have a play around with the NF4V but don't have the network skills to get too creative. I decided to go with the suggestion for a wireless access point and connect that to the existing EOP as that sounds like a more robust solution as I need it up and running quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I need to improve the wireless range of my fibre Huawei HG659 router. It is located the furthermost distance to the rear corner of the house which needs internet access. Moving it is not an option.

I
    Pity, It's the best solution.
    We moved ours to centre of house.

However my brother also has one of these:

https://shop.tsatech.nz/Networking/N...range_extender
    Not that one, I don't know where he got is, it was a lot cheaper. It works.

His laptop is rather old and rubbish on wifi anyway, so he got that thing. It did improve matters.

Or maybe you could run a cable if it's a device with a port you need to improve? If not, one of these perhaps.
    Ex-pctek

Old dick-head

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    ...I had this idea to use an old Netcomm NF4V and connect the WAN port to the Powerline network device, and then have it broadcast the wireless signal ...
    Use a LAN port rather than the WAN port; that way you avoid double NATing.

double NATing usually isnt a real issue .
    Ive even seen it in business networks : things all still worked

Or get a wireless Powerline kit .
    Some brands you can buy the single additional devices , so can buy just the wireless part of the powerline kit : if you can find that in stock anywhere .

pcsourcepoint

Maybe a new Router? I just bought a 'Mesh" D link router from PB Tech with extended Antennas. Tech recommended it. Apparently can easily add nodes or routers for even better coverage. Can setup easily with Android App and monitor to a degree. I think voice commands can be used with it like Alexa. But dearer than using range extenders, and possibly avoids setting up parameters, like IP address..
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 13-05-2022 at 09:05 PM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)