Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What AV programme do you recommend?

Just a side topic Both Avast & AVG are now owned by Norton. Avast brought AVG quite a while back. SO since Avast brought Ccleaner , expect Norton to start adding its crap to it as well.

I use Linux, no antivirus to worry about, and no forced updates

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Errr that price is VERY misleading. Techsoup prices require you to be a registered charity or NFP Its NOT for general public.

Actual Renewal for Nod32 is $49.52. I'm a reseller remember so know the pricing.
    OK, years since I used it, I forgot and couldn't find any other price listing.
    Still damn cheap for a year.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    I use Linux, no antivirus to worry about, and no forced updates
    Add in - Sometimes no drivers available, some software wont run on it, when updates happen they can take ages.

Not starting a linux / Windows debate, but have tried several distros over past, and each and every time something always goes not as expected. The other day came across and installed Q4OS as a trial / look see. Had to reinstall 2 times before it finally loaded as it was meant to, then on finally booting said there was a urgent nvidia update - let it install-- what a mess, continuous reboots until finally it offered to remove the update, which once done it rebooted normally. Tried looking on several Linux Forums for answers - no luck. Once it finally decided to run correctly it was quite snappy.

So while Linux may not be quite so susceptible to infection, its by no means stable every time. No OS is perfect, but finding windows help is a lot easier.

I do have a couple of linux based Servers which while years old do work as they should.

Add in - Sometimes no drivers available, some software wont run on it, when updates happen they can take ages.

Not starting a linux / Windows debate, but have tried several distros over past, and each and every time something always goes not as expected. The other day came across and installed Q4OS as a trial / look see. Had to reinstall 2 times before it finally loaded as it was meant to, then on finally booting said there was a urgent nvidia update - let it install-- what a mess, continuous reboots until finally it offered to remove the update, which once done it rebooted normally. Tried looking on several Linux Forums for answers - no luck. Once it finally decided to run correctly it was quite snappy.

So while Linux may not be quite so susceptible to infection, its by no means stable every time. No OS is perfect, but finding windows help is a lot easier.

I do have a couple of linux based Servers which while years old do work as they should.
    Q4OS has problems with its loader, mainly when you back it up with Macrium it often won't boot when you restore it. Settings are confusing. On the plus side it is very fast, and boots in a few seconds, when it does. I was trying to use it instead of Chrome OS. I think it may have a 'quick load' in it which is probably the cause of the trouble.

It's been over 5 years since I got it now...no issues. Printers, yes, you do need to ensure the one you want has support. ALL HP do, Brother does, Canon, some the worst is Epson.

But that's the only thing I've found. Updates are optional and take no time at all. I don't do it often, so usually have accumulated a heap before I chose to run them. Never taken longer than 20mins. Even the kernel or an entire update to new version of Mint.

Software, it all runs. I have changed some, PDF reader recently, I just wanted more features, you can actually run Adobe although I don't.
    I have Chrome and Firefox.

Libre Office. VLC, Thunderbird, etc...not so different...all were what I used in Windows.
    A so simple backup...came with Mint and remains the best one I've tried.

Haven't had any regrets yet.

The negative? Games.........
    And I haven't learned as quick...because problems are what teaches you and without problems, you don't get the chance to play around as much.
    Ex-pctek

Linux may get much less Viruses than windows but they do still exist so not using an antivirus is still a risk.

I tend to try Linux again every couple of years, waiting for the day when it will fulfil all my needs. It's been very close for quite a while now and games are getting better but it's still not there for me.
    I did use Linux Mint on a media PC for a year quite recently, but then found a spare windows key and used it, I prefer all my machines to be on the same OS mostly.

As to the original question, I use windows defender as my only installed anti virus. Occasionally when these discussions come up and prompt me I will use the ESET online scan tool and maybe install Mbam and do some scanning with that. I also don't clink on Email links I'm not sure about or get and am careful about browser links. I rarely find any issues.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post

Software, it all runs.

NO it doesn't. Might be OK for low level home users.

There are several business I service, they have what can be classed as Expensive Graphic Software for Sign writing (as an example) there are ONLY Windows Versions and a couple of MAC, Linux doesn't have a look in.

Cant exactly say get new printers / Cutters worth over 20K each.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 24-04-2022 at 11:59 AM.

Why would you pay for AV when you can get it for nothing?

I've been using AVG Antivirus FREE for a few years now with no problem.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Linux can't run my mapping program I have tried and spent hours and hours trying every workaround out there and none would get it going. And Linux doesn't seem to have any sort of topo mapping software that I can find, there are online topo maps but you can't create and save overlays with the online versions.