Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What AV programme do you recommend?

I am wanting to install an Anti-Virus programme that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but does a great job.

Any suggestions?
    A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Default Re: What AV programme do you recommend?

NOD32, renewal per year is a mere $29.88

https://www.techsoup.net.nz/product/...ivirus-renewal
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    NOD32, renewal per year is a mere $29.88

https://www.techsoup.net.nz/product/...ivirus-renewal
    Errr that price is VERY misleading. Techsoup prices require you to be a registered charity or NFP Its NOT for general public.

Actual Renewal for Nod32 is $49.52. I'm a reseller remember so know the pricing.

You can get whats called a Cross Grade Price if you have an existing Paid AV and are changing to Eset. The cross grade is the same as a renewal.

I see a couple of techs who work in security systems are now pushing Cylance as they reckon its now better than Nod32.

I haven't had any problems with Nod so am staying with it.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    I see a couple of techs who work in security systems are now pushing Cylance as they reckon its now better than Nod32.

I haven't had any problems with Nod so am staying with it.
    Those Security Techs -- Glad they dont work on any places that I do. looking at the reviews and so called real tests - cylance fails in so many ways.

one review -- Dated 12th march 2022 ( only a few weeks old, the opening 1st line ) Well have a read - not really encouraging. https://www.safetydetectives.com/bes...art-antivirus/

The whole review reads like a disaster waiting to happen

no Thanks.

Dont really take a lot of actual facts on reviews esp when they rate as great, rather stick to real life what I know. Always willing to give something a test, but this doesn't even offer one without filling out detailed info -- Screw that.

Did a clean out today on a customers PC. Ran Malware bytes, hitman pro, Adware Cleaner, Even the Sophos that the person tried. Combined they found just over 70 PUPS and a couple of trojans.

THEN Ran Nod32 -- found a further Trojan hiding as well as another 6 PUPS AND a couple of programs that had been downloaded marked as Known Malware. Even ran Emsisoft which is good, that didn't find anything after nod.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 20-04-2022 at 08:01 PM.

curmudgeon

Most Windows users find the built in Windows Security more than adequate and its free.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

Actual Renewal for Nod32 is $49.52. I'm a reseller remember so know the pricing.
    Is that per PC or per household?

Does the coverage extend to mobile phones?
    A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Is that per PC or per household?

Does the coverage extend to mobile phones?
    That Price ( renewal) is for a single PC 1 Year Nod32 Antivirus. There are other options as well, the internet security which contains a firewall, and a few other bells and whistles the AV doesn't have plus a few more.

You can get AV for Mobiles, as well, separate charges.

But to answer your question, you can get multi user licences, its cheaper the per PC the more you get, Up to 10, after 10, you have to change over to a Business class Licence.

The below is RRP Prices from their site:

BUT If you have more than two or three devices, the Multi device covers basically them all ( 5 devices ) https://www.eset.com/nz/home/multi-device-security/ Which then works out at $23.99 / device / Year. If you take it out over 3 Years it then works out at $16.79 / Device/ Per year.

With all of the above you can get a 31 day free Trial licence ( and it IS free, no continuous prompts to buy, you only get prompted close to the time of expiry). I get them all the time, and to be honest its not very often the person doesn't change over to a full licence for the product they are testing.

Thanks

With AV , any answer is certainly biased opinion .

Where I work, we sell ESET/Nod .
    We sell it because it very reliable & doesnt give issues (except a few rare PCs , usually a issue with the PC )
    Malware still gets past it .

ESET is also easy to get to the AV scan/detection logs .
    Ive sen plenty of other brand AV's where the AV logs were near impossible to find . Marketing over substance I guess

For cleanup , I wouldnt say ESET is better than Malwarebytes/KAV etc . Ive often had MBytes detect and CLEAN more thoroughly than ESET

Malware gets past everything.
    AV cant detect new malware
    Some AV actually waits untill before the malware is ravaging the PC before doing anything eg some ransomware 'protection'

My opinion : email AV scanning is the most important thing . Thats how alot of malware gets in.
    Some AV doesnt scan email on the way in (cough defender) , that makes it worthless (just my opinion)

Anyway.
    ESET GOOD (not best)
    Bitdefender : very good . There is a new free version I havnt tried yet . Some other AV products use bitdefenders tech .

NOT
    Norton, Avast, Avira, AVG , 360(the ch AV)
    KAV : good AV, I wouldnt trust it now given recent world events