Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Biuilding a new PC

I'm starting on the project of building a new PC, and I'm a bit stuck on what mobo I should get. You look at PB tech or Ascent and there are pages of motherboards.
    My requirements are fairly simple. I need something that will give me very good day to day performance on general admin tasks, with the occasional foray into graphics/video etc. I certainly don't need a super-duper "gaming" beast, but I do want it to be fairly grunty. Up till now I've usually ended up with ASUS, but I'm not wedded to that. Form factor is ATX.
    I'm also not sure about the CPU. AMD5700 looks good, but is that overkill?

All suggestions gratefully received.
    We are all but temporary files on the great flash drive of life.

Default Re: Biuilding a new PC

The 5600 looks like a good all round CPU if you want to save a few $, really depends if you will use anything that will benefit from the 2 extra cores in the 5700 very often.
    My gaming PC has a 5600X and a 3060ti and so far it has never felt underpowered at all. I don't do any graphics/video though, just gaming and casual internet stuff.

I build this PC in August 2018 with a Gigabyte motherboard and upgraded the CPU late last year. I still prefer Asus myself but the Gigabyte board has been very reliable so far.
    This is the longest I've kept a gaming PC in ages.

Bear in mind the AM4 platform is at the end of it's life so we are not likely to see any more CPU upgrades for it, might make sense to get that 5700 if you plan on keeping the PC long term.
    Not that it's really all that common to do a CPU upgrade despite the importance many seem to put on having the option, this is the first PC I can remember doing it to without a motherboard swap since I started making PCs in the 386 days
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    The 5600 looks like a good all round CPU if you want to save a few $, really depends if you will use anything that will benefit from the 2 extra cores in the 5700 very often.
    My gaming PC has a 5600X and a 3060ti and so far it has never felt underpowered at all. I don't do any graphics/video though, just gaming and casual internet stuff.

I build this PC in August 2018 with a Gigabyte motherboard and upgraded the CPU late last year. I still prefer Asus myself but the Gigabyte board has been very reliable so far.
    This is the longest I've kept a gaming PC in ages.

Bear in mind the AM4 platform is at the end of it's life so we are not likely to see any more CPU upgrades for it, might make sense to get that 5700 if you plan on keeping the PC long term.
    Not that it's really all that common to do a CPU upgrade despite the importance many seem to put on having the option, this is the first PC I can remember doing it to without a motherboard swap since I started making PCs in the 386 days
    Biuilding - grrr! Where is spellcheck when you need it?
    I certainly don't change my hardware very often, so maybe the 5700 is the way to go. What made you choose Gigabyte?

It was in stock at PBtech and had the chipset and features I wanted and was $50 cheaper than the Asus boards they were selling. Apparently it the VRMs aren't all that good on my board but that is more of an issue for overclockers and has never given me any grief.

Default Re: Building a new PC

It was in stock at PBtech and had the chipset and features I wanted and was $50 cheaper than the Asus boards they were selling. Apparently it the VRMs aren't all that good on my board but that is more of an issue for overclockers and has never given me any grief.
    I was going to ask about the chipset. What are the differences I should look out for?

Honestly for most people chipset doesn't really matter, the X570 is aimed at gamers and overclockers but the B550 is good enough for most people. There is a difference in the PCIE spec that might matter if you buy a very high end GPU or something but most of us would never know the difference.

Some B550 boards cost as much or more than X570, generally because they have added extra featues on. Here's an article about the differences https://www.build-gaming-computers.c...0-vs-x570.html

You could also go intel with something like a 12600K, still very competitive although they tend to run hotter and use more power. You really need to go windows 11 to make proper use of the architecture I believe.
    The 12600K is like a 6 core / 12 thread CPU with another 4 power efficient cores added on making it 16 threads. Performs very well but older OS don't know how to deal with the different core types very well.

I haven't built an intel machine in a while, maybe next time.

I have to say I am very tempted to just get an off the shelf system from PBtech or somewhere. It's just that I have a case and a power supply and it seems a pity not to re-use them.

I've been seriously tempted just to buy a decent gaming laptop and a dock instead of building my own but I enjoy building PCs.

Expensive option, but I have a laptop + desktop + media PC and it could potentially replace all 3

I've been seriously tempted just to buy a decent gaming laptop and a dock instead of building my own but I enjoy building PCs.

Expensive option, but I have a laptop + desktop + media PC and it could potentially replace all 3
    Yes, I enjoy the process of assembling and building, together with the satisfaction of doing it myself.

personally i try to get the best chipset i can. budget chipsets tend to give the most problems.
    not saying you have to get super gamer one, but just a basic one built around the better chipsets.
    Tweak it till it breaks