Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can I listen to the TV soundtrack on my PC?

I understand that the TV soundtrack is in stereo so I would be quite interested to listen in my headphones on the PC rather than the TV where the sound comes from only one speaker. Do you know of somewhere where I could go to do that?

I have done a search on Google but can't find anything for just the soundtrack.

Thanks for your help.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: Can I listen to the TV soundtrack on my PC?

Just connect your tv through your stereo, or buy a set of wireless headphones
    Last edited by Zippity; 17-04-2022 at 11:17 AM.
    A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Thank you, Zippity. Unfortunately the TV only has an input not an output.

Time to invest in a new TV.

The Warehouse sells cheap models
    A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Time to invest in a new TV.

The Warehouse sells cheap models
    I'm not all that interested in watching TV. The one I have works perfectly well, I just can't listen in stereo. Not the end of the world. I just thought that it would be nicer to listen in stereo. Not to worry.

An interesting aside, TV has, right from the beginning of TV in this country in 1962, broadcast it's sound on FM, although the small tinny speakers of the day did not do it justice. I used to take a lead from the earphone socket to my stereo and the resulting sound was great, but, unfortunately as I recall, it was in mono.
    Last edited by Roscoe; 17-04-2022 at 12:04 PM.

Old dick-head

You must have a very old TV - is there no HDMI sockets on the back?

Hell of a lot options out there

If you have a even a 10 year old LCD it would still support a Sound Bar,high end ones have a lot of options,radio/bluetooth etc

You will have to match with what you have got if you don't want any changes

I donít follow what youíre trying to do.

Have the tv sound come out of the headphones via computer. (Why not just steam the show on the computer?)

Or watch tv on your pc?(see above)

Or get stereo sound from the tv? Most TVs since the late 90s have had stereo speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post

An interesting aside, TV has, right from the beginning of TV in this country in 1962, broadcast it's sound on FM, although the small tinny speakers of the day did not do it justice. .
    "tinny" speaker of the day may have been better than most crappy TV speakers today
    back in the days of console valve TVs , the speakers could be bigger as the box was quite big * deep .

2x 8" speakers in our old valve TV (may have been 6" ? , things seemed bigger as a kid)
    And , tv speakers were in a larger box , giving better bass than 2-3" TV speakers today

RCA cables are one of the simplest ways of connecting your TV to your speaker system. The pair of cables and connectors are a pair, usually marked as red and white. These cables go from the red and white ports at the back of your TV (RCA output ports) to the input ports placed one of your speakers, or the subwoofer unit, in the case of the 2.1 speakers.

If your TV doesnít use RCA connectors for audio output, it may have a headphone out port (3.5mm port). You can use this to connect your TV to the speakers.

HDMI is one of the more preferable methods because it can transmit surround sound, without any quality loss, something RCA or 3.5mm connector methods suffer from.Your TV too needs to have an HDMI output port, sometimes marked HDMI-ARC. Connect a cable between the two devices using an HDMI cable.

HDMI cables can also be used if youíre using a receiver or amplifier setup that has HDMI input ports. If your TV doesnít have an HDMI output port, you can channel your sources (laptop, gaming console, set-top box) using an HDMI cable, through to the receiver/amplifier or soundbar then use a second HDMI cable from that deviceís output port to your TV.

Optical cables are rarely used but they offer the same performance as HDMI. If your TV has an optical output, connect it from the TV to the receiver or soundbar if it supports it. Youíll be able to transmit surround sound by doing so.
    Ex-pctek