Thread: UPS issues

Default UPS issues

I was playing a game (age of empires 2 nothing strenuous) and my UPS gave a long beep and shut off. If there was an issue with the mains it was too fast for me to notice, the lights stayed on.
    I've been doing some testing with a fan as a load and after a few power cycles and playing with the power button it seems to be mostly working. The batt indicator drops a bar immediately if I turn the mains off with just a fan connected.

Is it possible the batteries are borked and a momentary power sag caused it to switch to battery mode and it couldn't handle the load ?
    It did get flattened a few weeks back in a power outage so that might have been their death sentence.

Not sure if I should replace the batteries or just toss the thing. Thoughts ?

Edit: It's a dynamix defender 1600
    Last edited by dugimodo; 10-04-2022 at 02:17 PM.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Default Re: UPS issues

its probably got sla batteries and they don't last very long.
    cost wise it depends on what batteries it uses, i use to have one that used some weird size that cost more then the unit.
    lithium batteries would probably last a whole lot longer.
    Tweak it till it breaks

If the SLA Battery is more than a couple of years old may need replacing

Did have a UPS pack up 2 years ago ,bought a Battery but was the UPS that was giving problems,just bought a second hand unit that needed a new battery

When the battery dies will replace with a LiFePO4 unit

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    If the SLA Battery is more than a couple of years old may need replacing

Did have a UPS pack up 2 years ago ,bought a Battery but was the UPS that was giving problems,just bought a second hand unit that needed a new battery

When the battery dies will replace with a LiFePO4 unit
    trouble is its not just a straight forward swap. the gel cell replacement type lith batteries don't have high current output. so your probably going to have to fit a sustainably bigger battery.
    my one here, which replaces a standard 9a/h battery commonly used in alarms panels ups's etc, only has 7 amp output ie 90 watts or so.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Yeah I won't be putting LiFPO4 batteries in a cheap UPS, just not worth it and as tweak'e mentioned they aren't up to the load requirement at the same size. My gaming PC + monitor draws quite a bit more than 90W especially if I'm gaming and the power goes out.
    I have just swapped my shed solar battery to LiFePO4 at 24V and 50ah after the gel cells gave up the ghost at 5 years old, we'll see how that works out in a decade or so in theory

On the one hand it's surprising they have persevered with SLA in UPS applications for so long, on the other hand high current short duration loads are where SLA is at it's best.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Just a quick Comment on UPS's.

The Basic ones most people use YOU DO KNOW ?? That they are NOT meant to keep equipment going for hours ?? They are only designed to handle Brown out (power Drops) or in a power cut, enough time to go " oh Sh1T power cut" Save any data and safely turn off the computer instead of crashing due to the cut.-- Eg: 5 minutes.

IF you want a UPS that has long life be prepared to Spend several Thousand $$$$$$ .

Also depends on what you are running, something like a Router, Switch expect a few hours, something like a gaming PC ( high Spec) no longer than 10 minutes.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-04-2022 at 06:34 PM.