Default Is upgrading to mains pressure causing greater water and electricity usage?

Hello Forum,

I made the decision to upgrade to a mains pressure hot water cylinder from a low pressure cylinder.

Now, Iím noticing what may be greater water and electricity usage.

Iím told it may be due to shower pressure which may be taking greater pressure from the mains pressure hot water? If itís shower pressure, how can that cause higher water and electricity usage?

Would it help to replace the low pressure shower mixer with a mains pressure mixer? And as well replacing the piping from the new cylinder with new piping that can take the mains pressure?

Thanks in advance,
    Barry.

Default Re: Is upgrading to mains pressure causing greater water and electricity usage?

Quote Originally Posted by barryk View Post
    I made the decision to upgrade to a mains pressure hot water cylinder from a low pressure cylinder.

Now, Iím noticing what may be greater water and electricity usage.

Iím told it may be due to shower pressure which may be taking greater pressure from the mains pressure hot water? .
    Yep. Not more pressure exactly - Because the water comes out faster and with more force therefore you are using more hot water than before. Think skinny hose trickling vs fat hose blasting out. More water, thus more hot water.

Hot water uses power to heat and if you use more, it fills from cold and the element kicks on and heats it....see?

You can get restrictors for the shower head but then why go mains in the first place?
    Ex-pctek

Default Re: Is upgrading to mains pressure causing greater water and electricity usage?

Hello Forum,
    Would it help to replace the low pressure shower mixer with a mains pressure mixer? And as well replacing the piping from the new cylinder with new piping that can take the mains pressure?

Thanks in advance,
    Barry.
    piping should be fine.
    mixer might be ok, if you have no problems getting the temp you want then its fine.
    however the one thing you need to do is change the shower head to a mains pressure one. they have smaller holes which give a stronger jet and reduces water consumption.
    you also may want to change some house hold taps to low flow types (ie water saver).
    the other thing is make sure you have setup the washing machine hot water inlet. you may have to put restrictors back in. some machines you need to adjust the warm setting.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    you need to do is change the shower head to a mains pressure one. they have smaller holes which give a stronger jet and reduces water consumption.
    Not actually necessary. We had original showerhead when this went to mains, I have recently bought a cheap as dirt showerhead with tiny holes, not to save water but because I discovered they give a really soft shower....rather cool actually. If you have the mixer on low - as in not much water - it doesn't actually work, you just get the old splattery flow...you need it up a bit to get the fine spray.

Of course we don't have it on blast...that really would chew through the water consumption.

My son does....he likes a waterblast shower and uses nearly all the hot water. Then moans about his power bill but he won't turn it down a bit....so c'est la vie
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Not actually necessary. We had original showerhead when this went to mains, I have recently bought a cheap as dirt showerhead with tiny holes, not to save water but because I discovered they give a really soft shower....rather cool actually. If you have the mixer on low - as in not much water - it doesn't actually work, you just get the old splattery flow...you need it up a bit to get the fine spray.

Of course we don't have it on blast...that really would chew through the water consumption.

My son does....he likes a waterblast shower and uses nearly all the hot water. Then moans about his power bill but he won't turn it down a bit....so c'est la vie
    when you put the mixer on low your restricting flow and also pressure, so the head doesn't get enough pressure. hence the splutter.
    the trick here is to have the head do the restricting instead of the mixer.
    you can get heads that have small holes, but lots of them. that would give fine soft spray at the expense of water usage.
    use one with normal/low number of holes as well as being small and it squirts water hard, but at less water usage.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    when you put the mixer on low your restricting flow and also pressure, so the head doesn't get enough pressure. hence the splutter.
    the trick here is to have the head do the restricting instead of the mixer.
    you can get heads that have small holes, but lots of them. that would give fine soft spray at the expense of water usage.
    Yes. I bought one as I said.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...6?bof=Hh5PkpfK

Kind of thin metal but for $8 who cares.
    It's lovely.
    Ex-pctek

It wonít necessarily increase electricity usage. Also, Piroska mentioned that ďbecause water comes out faster and with more force, therefore you are using more hot water than before.Ē This can be easily solved by buying a good shower head that spreads the water evenly and uses it efficiently. Nowadays, there are a lot of accessories that help you save water/electricity. For example, my kid recently asked me to put some color bulbs (https://www.vont.com/product/vont-bu...s-smart-bulbs/). I wasnít very eager to do it, but now Iíve noticed that they also use less energy.

Reported

Ken

Hello Forum,

Now, I’m noticing what may be greater water and electricity usage.

I’m told it may be due to shower pressure

It sure is.
    Water comes out faster with more flow.

Either turn the shower down a bit or you can buy restrictors.
    Ex-pctek