Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What does this mean?

Every so often I notice, in the bottom right side of the screen, a small dot surrounded by a circle. When I hover over the dot there is a small sign which says, "Your location is currently in use," and I wonder what it means.

Thanks for your help.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Default Re: What does this mean?

It means "Microsoft knows where you live" - you have location services enabled, and there is an app running in the background using your location to do what it needs to do or for the purpose of serving content "that is relevant to you" - Microsoft's words not mine

To disable the Location data got to----->Settings----->Privacy----->Click on Location----->Click Change----->Set location of this device to "off"

Despite Microsoft's insistance, no your computer will not stop working if you disable location awareness... this is nothing more than scare mongering from Microsoft...

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
    Klevv 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Thank you for that, chiefnz. I had no idea.

What do you think? Is it a good idea to turn it off? I don't mind Microsoft knowing my location but I don't know if there is any down side to that.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

All those locations etc are doing nothing but spying and sending out content that you more than likely don't want any way.

Turning ALL those off is the 1st thing I do

MIND YOU having Location on does also have a good side -- Office 365 -- A Customer had their laptop stolen, looking at Office 365 it pin pointed the EXACT location (the house /address) it was turned on the following day -- Needless to say after I got a call from the Police to confirm a few things ( as in how I found the location -- Which was simple, log into Office 365 - Find my device) they went to the House concerned, 1st the police had to confirm how precise it was - The police called Microsoft who advised its VERY precise.

Bleakly Optomistic

Probably an odd coincidence, but whenever I see that on my laptop, it means the WIFI network is going to temporarilly disconnect

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

MIND YOU having Location on does also have a good side -- Office 365 -- A Customer had their laptop stolen, looking at Office 365 it pin pointed the EXACT location (the house /address) it was turned on the following day -- Needless to say after I got a call from the Police to confirm a few things ( as in how I found the location -- Which was simple, log into Office 365 - Find my device) they went to the House concerned, 1st the police had to confirm how precise it was - The police called Microsoft who advised its VERY precise.
    Interesting .
    I just tried it out
    https://www.lifewire.com/location-in-windows-10-4032883

Its seems Im located in the water, according to Windows location .
    I can see the water , but I sure Im on dry land, up the road a bit

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Interesting .
    I just tried it out
    https://www.lifewire.com/location-in-windows-10-4032883

Its seems Im located in the water, according to Windows location .
    I can see the water , but I sure Im on dry land, up the road a bit
    The ones I saw were not actually on any sort of map (as linked) it was more of a Location from Google maps. Dont know if its because they have gmail accounts, but I know with Gmail, if I go onto Find my Phone its accurate to within a bout 2-3 Mtrs. So can tell if phones slipped down behind a cushion on the couch or fell out in the car and hiding under the seat (again) OR as in some cases under a desk at last customers House

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    All those locations etc are doing nothing but spying and sending out content that you more than likely don't want any way.

Turning ALL those off is the 1st thing I do

This is true, I practice the same mantra, though I do not (well refuse to) use my Microsoft login for Windows... I have also recently deployed a PiHole docker container on my unRAID server and I have noticed that the volume of annoyances across everything I use (including my TV, printer. tablets, iPhones and QNAP NAS) has dropped significantly. Though I'm sure that eventually they will return, these big companies will always find a way to get their ads and tracking through to you... like say, preventing you from accessing their services because you use PiHole or an adblocker.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
    Klevv 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Find my phone is different because phones have GPS which is far less common in PCs.

With PCs I believe they use a combination of IP address (not particularly useful) and detected wifi networks.
    You may recall the controversy when it was discovered that the google maps vehicles that mapped the streets also mapped all the wifi networks they detected for their location services https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...g-private-data. Not sure how microsoft do it but it must be similar.

Sometimes it's spookily accurate considering the PC has no gps, other times it can be wildly off. Not sure I believe the VERY precise claim unless the particular device does have gps.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Sometimes it's spookily accurate considering the PC has no gps, other times it can be wildly off. Not sure I believe the VERY precise claim unless the particular device does have gps.
    Prob putting 1 and 1 together, the laptop was stolen, and a mobile as well which was tracked at the same location on that day. Stolen both at the same time by the same people. (spoke to the person who got robbed today) When they went to look there was a piece of vacant land right beside the location pin pointed, The people that own the house said its a secluded local hangout for all the rif-raf and the hangout is an area well known for thieves. So precise can be close or not so close, considering you take the area of lower Hutt / Wellington and can narrow it down to a property -- That's precise.