Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The USA and two other countries still use the Imperial System

Liberia, Myanmar, and the United States are the only countries that donít use the metric system.

The measuring system that the United States uses right now isnít really a system at all. Itís a hodgepodge of various units that often seem to have no logical relationship to one another ó units collected throughout their history here and there, bit by bit. Twelve inches in a foot, three feet in a yard, 1,760 yards in a mile.

Thatís why the rest of the world uses the metric system, where all you need to do is multiply or divide by some factor of 10 ó 10 millimetres in a centimetre, 100 centimetres in a metre, 1,000 metres in a kilometre. Water freezes at 0įC and boils at 100įC.Ē

To define the metre, French astronomers Delambre and Mťchain measured 10 millionths of the distance from the North Pole to the Equator through a Paris meridian, which you can still find at the centre of the Paris Observatory

You would wonder why they still use such an old and outdated system, particularly when thirty years ago the metric system was introduced into New Zealand. The Weights and Measures Amendment Act became law on the 14 December 1976.

And while talking about weights and measurements, I recall when we owned our general store in the late 50s we had the people from the Weights and Measurements Dept visit and check all our weights and scales for accuracy. I would suppose they still do that.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

VoidMaster

Default Re: The USA and two other countries still use the Imperial System

I prefer the Imperial System, metric is boring and non-relatable. Consider this: first finger distance across last two joints = 1 inch, distance from heel to big toe = 12 inches or 1 foot, normal stride = 3 feet or 1 yard, 5280 feet or 1760 yards = 1 mile, 250,000 miles = distance to the Moon, 93 million miles = distance to the Sun, so you can relate from your finger size to the distance to the Sun in relatable human measurements. Metric feels meaningless to me. I mean what does a millimeter or centimeter relate to on human body?

Also tell me what a force of one Newton feels like on the palm of your hand - anyone? Well it's the equivalent of having an average apple in the palm of your hand. Again not taught in school as far as I know.

I believe it is very important for engineers to relate from the human body to real word designs, look at the Spitfire or American engineering, then look at Russian engineering, looks like aliens made it.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 08-03-2022 at 09:19 AM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post

look at the Spitfire or American engineering, then look at Russian engineering, looks like aliens made it.
    ??
    Look at the Yak3 , and compare that to the Spitfire .
    The ruskies didnt like the Spitfire as it was totally unsuited to to their conditions , too fragile & hard to repair & maintain .
    Look at the Mig21 . Compare that to the overly complex & hard to maintain UK & US counterparts .

Look at Russian manned space rockets. The most successful ever. Keep it simple , keep it usable , keep it cheap.
    The US had to resort to using Russian rockets as the US had no man rated rockets for too many years.

So the Russians can get their engineering right . Using the metric system .
    Built for purpose .

VoidMaster

I'm talking about styling not functionality. Have a look at a Lada, LOL, P.O.S. both styling and functionality.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Isn't this like the third time you've posted this topic? one of them is even in the top similar threads for me at the bottom of the page lol

I prefer the metric system. Add the UK to countries that use the imperial system for lots of things even though they are metric. Things like speed, Distance measurements.

I play Croquet and the World Croquet is headquartered there and all documentation is in imperial. Drives us nuts in the far flung colonies.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    Isn't this like the third time you've posted this topic? one of them is even in the top similar threads for me at the bottom of the page lol
    Roscoe is a bit anti American

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    Watch out! The repeat police are on the job again.

You could never accuse baabits of repeating anything, in fact you could not accuse him of posting anything apart from criticism. It would be a change if he did post something but it seems he is just not capable.

You just do not see him contribute anything. I think that he just waits around for someone like myself to repeat a subject and then he swoops! And he has it in for me, no one else.It does not seem to matter that a post has started an interesting discussion and that people are contributing. The important thing here - according to baabits - is to stop anyone - me in particular - from repeating anything. He obviously has nothing else to do with his time.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Nothing wrong with repetition, one or two of us on here would remember the "times/tables" at primary school.

There was a clerk over the road from where I worked, who could add up a column of shillings and pence in one go, and he would never tell any of us how he did it.

transpositions, was my forte' in those days, girls on the accounting invoicing/accounting machines, were always asking me to find their errors.

And no I never dated any of them!.

In case one needs the explanation: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8UynNl9dNixdgB

lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Watch out! The repeat police are on the job again.

You could never accuse baabits of repeating anything, in fact you could not accuse him of posting anything apart from criticism. It would be a change if he did post something but it seems he is just not capable.

You just do not see him contribute anything. I think that he just waits around for someone like myself to repeat a subject and then he swoops! And he has it in for me, no one else.It does not seem to matter that a post has started an interesting discussion and that people are contributing. The important thing here - according to baabits - is to stop anyone - me in particular - from repeating anything. He obviously has nothing else to do with his time.
    Woah way to fly off the handle there old boy- was just mentioning it, not criticising. I save that for things where you’re actually being an ass which is only about 50% of the time.

Edit: 60%
    Last edited by baabits; 09-03-2022 at 03:27 PM.