Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second hand TV

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Second hand TV

Hi, my Sony Bravia has finally died after 10 + years of good service, now being a pensioner I am looking to get a second had one. What I would like to know is how long do the operating systems las on a smart TV? I have in mind getting Samsung 4K smart Tv (Model: UA49NU7100SXNZ), but I am a little worried about the operating system becomes outdated. On my tablet for example (Huawei) no longer supports SparkSport. The system just moves on and leaves you stranded with an app that no longer works. Is this likely to happen on a TV?
    ' The Ghost of Tom Joad '

Default Re: Second hand TV

One thing with 2nd hand TV's, often people get rid of them because they are old Tecnology, so you may end up buying someone's rubbish. With any newer TV's you have to look and see what can and cant be added, connected.

Why not look at something like the Veons ? ( cheap enough) We have 3 of them (one in each lounge and 1 in the bedroom) The Picture on them is a lot better than some of the other more expensive name brands. The only thing thats not so sh1t hot is the Speakers. BUT you can plug in a set of good quality Computer Speakers and bingo - Great Audio.

For the Audio in the main lounge (TV's 58") I have plugged in a set of logitech Speakers, using the 3.5mm Jack on the TV, Works great - These ones https://www.logitech.com/en-nz/produ...80-001204.html

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    One thing with 2nd hand TV's, often people get rid of them because they are old Tecnology, so you may end up buying someone's rubbish.

Why not look at something like the Veons ? ]
    As an owner of other peoples rubbish for decades, we've found the quality brands very good. And reliable. Only once in 43 years did we have have a TV get a fault, and it was B&W....Admittedly I have only ever owned 5....and this last one is really my brothers, not mine.
    We still have a Sony (the one I use). It was given to my brother free from someone who upgraded .And a weird german brand TV.

I'd like a Panasonic but have no need for replacement.

O/Ss? We also find chromecast good, no need for smart TVs.....my brother uses it the most, for my mum mainly.
    Youtube, their church stuff, random private videos (off phones) and some netflix - although he usually watches on PC too, but now and then in winter, he uses the TV, its warmer in there....

And people ditch them because, like phones, they want the latest whatever, not necessarily because there is something wrong with it.
    They want bigger, which is why our 2 now are 32", or they want OLED or whatever the latest is.

I don't watch much on the TV, Sky docos mainly, the rest of the time, movies and stuff, I watch off my PC so I don't really care about fancy TV features.

Some reviews:
    https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.as...topicid=233429

https://www.canstarblue.co.nz/appliances/televisions/

If one of these dies, we will be looking on TRademe for a replacement, Other peoples rubbish, something not too big that is unloved because they got the bigger and more modern.

Actually almost everything in my house (when I had one) was other peoples rubbish.
    My car, my PC desk (solid oak, plenty of deep drawers), my oak and walnut dining suite, the lounge suite I had, mats, coffee table, drawers, hutch dresser, husbands de walt drills, the list goes on.
    Most of it I still have...inc the de walts.

And it was all so cheap too, even better.
    Ex-pctek

Not gaming these days, I swapped GPUs with son not long before I moved.
    Then, having pangs of regret....I bought another GPU off TRademe.
    Other peoples rubbish, and not that I needed a high end card really, but wth, though I'd have a look.
    And lo! There was a high end card, admittedly 2 yrs old but it was so cheap! And a GIgabyte.

I bought it with buy now and happily installed it.

2 weeks later this guy emailed me, asking if I'd sell it back to him, apparently he'd not done his research properly and was not happy with his latest GPU he'd bought as it was worse than the one he'd sold to me.

LOL.....I did feel slightly sorry for him, but no. I kept the good card.

ruup: repair is unlikely to be economical...but take a look at used.....the one bit of caution I'd advise, is make sure you can pick it up, I wouldn't buy one without actually seeing it works properly. BUt there are plenty of dumped because they bought flasher, bigger or more modern...not just faulty or scratched etc...
    Ex-pctek

Or buy a 2nd hand tv where the person has dumped it because the stupid smart features have stopped working....and yet the panel is still fine. Then spend the price difference on a decent media player that supports all that smart crap....and when that is obsolete, buy another one.....the panel will still be fine. (Coming from a user of a 2008 LCD panel with no smarts).

My telly has been though a media pc for recording, or various apple tvs and chromecasts. The only feature I wanted when i bought that TV was a dvb-t tuner.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

The SAMSUNG 49" UHD 4K Smart TV is 22 months old and is still available new from https://www.extremeappliances.co.nz/...ual-Tuner.html. for #1999.99. Assuming that the seller is honest, how long before the operating system is obsolete?
    ' The Ghost of Tom Joad '

Quote Originally Posted by ruup View Post
    The SAMSUNG 49" UHD 4K Smart TV is 22 months old and is still available new from https://www.extremeappliances.co.nz/...ual-Tuner.html. for #1999.99. Assuming that the seller is honest, how long before the operating system is obsolete?
    You can never future proof any OS be it a computer or TV. They change all the time. Depends on how long the manufacture wants to enable upgrades for an older Model.

Looking at the specs there are others the same with a lower price tag by several Hundred.

Like most things today, they are built to "not last", otherwise where would they make a profit.

We bought a new smart tv for xamas, because the existing one, the pixels were going all over the place, we gave that to the grandkids for their gaming consul.

The new smart Samsung is too smart for the old dvd recorder and us oldies, it's all a learning curve.

lurking.

VoidMaster

Sony Bravia is the best of the best, what went wrong with it, maybe getting it repaired is the best way to go?
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Older by the minute

Six months ago replaced my older Sony Bravia (pixels) with a Sony Bravia 55/9000H for $17,995 from Noel Leaming. Good unit 4k HD Smart tv. Only problem is that it takes an age to read an external HDD of music or movies. Took to using an attached Sony blue ray player to get over that problem. They threw in a Sony WH-1000XM4 wireless headphones worth about $649 at the time. I usually don't get deals like that so I wonder, what's the catch?