Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed Limit Ad

Default Re: Speed Limit Ad

The world will not improve until the last bureaucrat has been hanged with the entrails of the last politician.
    Oops. That's revolutionary talk and we can't have that in Aye-oh-teah-rower.

We never watch the ads. We mute the sound.

We record some programmes (because they are on at bedtime) and take great delight at skipping through the ads.

At one time a few years back, there used to be no ads on a Sunday. Bliss. Now that rarely happens. Only on days such as Christmas Day.

We know that ads are a feature of today's free to air TV but that does not mean that we have to like them.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Now look at this idea:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lights.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	11261

So Kenj....what I noticed.
    Driving back and forth to the hospital when husband was there, it scared me on the "expressway".

Can't have high beams on, too many cars. But not on, scary? There's NO road lights. Except when you get to the roundabouts. And roundabouts....100kph and then suddenly a roundabout.

Part of it has those cheesecutter barriers but then parts have nothing but the painted line.

Compared to Auckland motorways and the Hamilton Expressway...you call this an expressway??!! Already I see damage and holes where cars have hit those wires.

And Riverbend Rd, suddenly there's a bunch of speed humps all along one part....they took the cones away and I thought you won't see those at night.

I see they now redid them and painted them red. Yes, how many cars did they kill?
    Ex-pctek

Have to agree with you about the expressway. Possibly the worst bit of road I have driven on in my time. It was built as a result of a bribe to Hastings people when Napier got the airport instead of Bridge Pa site, south west of Hastings. Bloody thing was built half cocked and was never going to be able to handle the traffic. I drove to Hastings and back twice, sometimes three times a day in 11 years driving for the school. Not fun at all and avoided using it when I could.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Bloody thing was built half cocked and was never going to be able to handle the traffic.

Ken
    I think it handles the traffic, because there isn't much - compare it to Auckland....it's just : a bad barrier...the barrier doesn't extend the length and where are the lights?!
    I go the other way now, yes it's as dark but at least you can use your high beams to compensate.
    \
    Anyway better than nothing I suppose.
    Most of NZs 100kph zones are a lane each side and a bit of paint. Thats why people crash.
    Ex-pctek

I beg to differ on your last sentence. I've been driving for over 64 years and never had a crash. I watch the road and drive to conditions. Unless you have a blowout or a steering failure it should not happen. I did a quarter of a million K's (logged) in 11 years all over Napier, Hastings and areas and never as much as a mark on my van. Same for my mate who did similar figures. We had to concentrate as we had vanloads of teen mum's and their babies. A crash would have been disastrous!

Lack of traffic... Nope, used to be backed up to Kennedy Rd frequently at 7-9am. Reverse in the Afternoon. The roundabout helped eliminate that. There were traffic lights at Meaner Rd and the Pakowhai Rd intersections. It was pretty bad..

Lack of attention to driving and to much phones going all the time don't help. It happens continually out there.

Ken
    Last edited by kenj; 27-01-2022 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    I've been driving for over 64 years and never had a crash. I watch the road and drive to conditions. Unless you have a blowout or a steering failure it should not happen. I did a quarter of a million K's (logged) in 11 years all over Napier, Hastings and areas and never as much as a mark on my van.

Lack of traffic... Nope, used to be backed up to Kennedy Rd frequently at 7-9am. Reverse in the Afternoon. The roundabout helped eliminate that. There were traffic lights at Meaner Rd and the Pakowhai Rd intersections. It was pretty bad..
    Crashes don't just happen to people who drive badly.
    They happen to people driving carefully and safely, minding their own business, and someone else comes along and smashes into them.

We drove all over the country. Husbands 3rd ute was on 650,000km when it died. One time we were on a bend, to the left, no other vehicles except the truck trailer coming up behind us. He passed us, on this bend, and right round the bend, coming the other way was another truck, so the one alongside us, pulled in, and forced us off the side of the road into the gravel.
    Luck saved us from being wiped out.

I had that once on the motorway, a truck trailer pulled into the left lane, without seeing me in it, before the off ramp. Me dodging into the off ramp well, off to the side of it, and braking hard I escaped with scratches and a broken headlight.

I was going along a main road in Auckland, taking kid to kindy and some older guy in a Valiant pulled out of his drive right in front of me. I hit him right in the middle of the back and front seats, it spun him round twice and bananaed the valiant. He was OK.
    Lucky I was in an old tank of a car and sustained no damage other than a panicked kid.

I could give you a few other examples. Husband used to love long drives, I hated it.

And yes I have seen traffic here, peak time on that expressway, even the little one lane bridge round the back way.

But compared to Auckland it isn't traffic...You've forgotten what that's like.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Druid View Post
    And I wonder which bureaucrat thinks the drivers who cause accidents are going to adhere to a lower speed limit?
    if policed properly, they actually do.

for eg dome valley (aka death valley) got lowered to 80kmh many years ago now. it took months of non-stop police campaign to get drivers to obey.
    however one of the bigger problems is people don't like it so they attack other motorists.
    it took a long time but once people got used to it, its actually better. the amount of crashes is way down, fatal's are fairly rare now.
    but the only way that road is ever going to be fixed is to bypass it.

however the big issue is trying to get police to do road policing. they do everything they can to avoid it which in turn teaches drivers to be bad drivers.
    Tweak it till it breaks

In the Herald today (Abridged)

We don't need to keep arguing, although we do it anyway, because some things are now very clear.

Road to Zero is Waka Kotahi's plan for reducing deaths and serious injuries on our roads, adopted in 2018. It's a local version of the Swedish-inspired Vision Zero programme.
    It proposes, as the agency's Road to Zero manager Tara MacMillan puts it, that we think of serious road crashes the way we think of plane crashes: they're all unacceptable.
    It sets out a comprehensive approach, including safer road design, rules for safer road use, better driving standards, safer cars and better enforcement of the rules.

About 70 per cent of the drivers who crashed, according to Simon Douglas, then the AA's research foundation manager, "were generally following the rules of the road, but they made a mistake or poor decision, or something unexpected happened".
    They weren't drunk or speeding. Instead, they might have just drifted off the road or across the centreline, perhaps because of inattention or fatigue.

December is a very busy month for what's known as VKDs: vehicle kilometres driven. Everyone rushes everywhere, albeit slowly, because of the congestion, and we're all so frazzled by stress and anxiety we have more crashes.

Roadside cameras are critical to this. In 2019, we had only 2.2 cameras per 100,000 people in this country, compared with 11 in Sweden, and those we do have are being underused.

They don't call them speed cameras anymore, by the way. They're safety cameras now, and they'll snap a range of illegal behaviours, including people not wearing seatbelts and drivers using their mobile phones.

Speed does matter
    How about this. There's a part of New Zealand where the death rate on the roads, per 100,000 people, is 16. That's more than twice as bad as our national average of 7.8, according to World Health Organisation data from 2018.
    And that, in turn, compares badly with a European Union average of 5 and national rates in Sweden and Switzerland of just 2.8 and 2.7 respectively.

The worst region in New Zealand is Northland.
    It's true, Sweden and Switzerland have better roads, more enforcement, perhaps less of a car hoon culture. But it's hard to get away from this: when Sweden reduced the speed limit from 90km/h to 80km/h on the most dangerous parts of its state road network, the number of deaths on those roads fell by about 40 per cent.

People didn't even drive 10km/h slower. The reduction was more like 3km/h. But it was enough to generate a massive change in the fatality stats.

If only we trained our drivers better, we wouldn't have a problem. It's a very common view. But the evidence is that while some things definitely help, others make the situation worse.
    The World Bank study found that "extensive on-road supervised training" has "proven to be effective".

For GLS to work, it needs more on-road supervised training than is commonly provided here.
    What doesn't work: When road-safety enthusiasts and even experts turn up to your kids' school to provide driving advice. An OECD report rubbished that approach.

Car design is better and worse
    The AA's 2018 study found that more than 60 per cent of serious crashes involved vehicles more than 14 years old. That makes road safety an equity issue. How big is the moral imperative on Government to make it easier for low-income people not to rely on dangerous older cars?
    There's good and bad in new car design. ABS brakes, airbags, the amount of reinforcing steel that surrounds the occupants of many large vehicles: there's no doubt they make you safer. If you're inside the car.
    But the idea these large vehicles double cab utes and big SUVs, especially have become a menace to others produces a flood of outrage.

It's not hard to grasp why big cars do more damage. They're heavier and take longer to stop. If you're hit by an ordinary car, you're likely to go up on the bonnet and roll off. It won't be pretty but it may not kill you. But when you're hit by a car that sits high on the road, you go underneath. It probably will kill you.

The AA's 2018 research found that 41 per cent of serious crashes involved a vehicle crossing the centre line on an undivided 100km/h road. The most effective way to prevent this is to put a barrier down the middle of the road. The same kind of barrier also help enormously on the sides of the road.

The evidence for the value of barriers is astonishingly clear. For example, on the north face of the Brynderwyn Hills and the Kāpiti Coast highway near Wellington, two places that used to be frequent fatality zones, not a single person has died since the barriers were installed.
    Ex-pctek

i can assure you that the barriers on Brynderwyn Hills have been well used.

worse region being northland.
    lots of low income people with massive social issues. drink/drug driving is much the norm, massive lack of policing and critically, all govts neglecting roading.

what does jancida do, first job in office was to can the motorway project which was to replace sh1 which was listed as one of the most dangerous roads in nz over 30 years ago.
    everywhere else, even lower risk roads, has been given priority.
    btw jancida changed it to adding extra lane to part of the existing road, which they then canned and changed it into "safety improvements" which they have now canned.
    auckland to whangerai was 9 of the top 11 most dangerous roads in nz 30 years ago. so far they have only done parts where all the rich people live.

get the idea, every govt craps on northland. "its only Maori, hippie's and dole bludgers that live there so who cares." yet its been some of the fastest growing areas as auckland has pushed northward.
    Tweak it till it breaks