Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The universe is expanding

https://www.newscientist.com/article...-is-expanding/

The universe is expanding but where is it expanding to? Is it expanding to somewhere else? If so, where is this somewhere else? Or is it expanding to somewhere where there is nothing? And how big is this nothing? And is there anything beyond this nothing?

So many questions. I wonder if anyone has any answers.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Older by the minute

Default Re: The universe is expanding

If you think that exercises the mind, think about this! https://scitechdaily.com/how-many-bl...0000000000000/ (40 Billion Billion)

For each black hole is a galaxy and each galaxy holds billions of stars etc. Beyond my small mind to comprehend!

The answer is simple.

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    If you think that exercises the mind, think about this! https://scitechdaily.com/how-many-bl...0000000000000/ (40 Billion Billion)

For each black hole is a galaxy and each galaxy holds billions of stars etc. Beyond my small mind to comprehend!
    You're right, Bryan. I find it hard to comprehend how much a billion is, let alone billions.

So do you ever wonder where it all came from? And was there a time when there was nothing?

It certainly seems that with such vast amounts of galaxies there must be some somewhere that have other life. But how will we ever find them or how will they ever find us? With such vast distances it would take a very long time to travel there even if we could attain the speed of light.

But then, although the thought of travelling to another galaxy is very desirable, I really do think that all those billions of dollars that the Yanks, in particular, are spending on space, could be better spent. Surely there are many places where that sort of money could be spent in supplying the poor countries with food, water and housing, etc. They have the resources to rid the world of poverty. It's a big pity that they don't spend a few more billion to help those countries in need.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Zippity is right with 42. Saves a lot of brain strain.

Joking aside, I thought one of the laws of physics is that "Matter can neither be created or destroyed"

That being true, the creation of our Universe breaks that law?

Ken

If you want big numbers, think of the number of ways a pack of cards can be shuffled.

The answer is 52! or, 52 factorial , or 52 shriek (There you go Zippity)

Which is 8.065817517x10 to the power of 67. It has been described as....

" If someone took one grain of sand, marked it so as to be identifiable, and hid it on a beach somewhere in the world, there is more chance of finding it than repeating a card shuffle"

Ken
    Last edited by kenj; 24-01-2022 at 09:45 AM.

My head hurts

Mind blowingly awesome!
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

VoidMaster

Not only is it expanding, the expansion rate is increasing, which makes no sense at all.

This means it will never come back into a big crunch and then do it all again which at least would have been some form of symmetry.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 24-01-2022 at 02:07 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Not only is it expanding, the expansion rate is increasing, which makes no sense at all.

This means it will never come back into a big crunch and then do it all again which at least would have been some form of symmetry.
    It wasn't doing that at this rate until we got metrics - - - mark my words, you mess with nature at your peril.
    If I needed proof that the universe was expanding (I don't) it's not necessary to look far. If the thing would just stay still: A./ We wouldn't need stronger glasses every year, and B./ There wouldn't be all these new places for my glasses to hide every morning, plus C./ The garden and it's ever-growing weeds wouldn't be getting further away every month.
    Those weeds are further down to bend each time I try it, let alone the fact that each weed that is tackled has me on one end pulling, and the entire (expanding) world is on the other end hanging on. The odds are ludicrous, even before Murphy puts his grubby finger on the scales of chance, no need to mention which side HE favours.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.