Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hospitals

Default Hospitals

My mum was released from hospital yesterday.
    She'd fallen and we don't know...hypo? I used Glucagon.
    Or she knocked herself as she fell?

The ambulance people decided she'd had a stroke, probably just cause of her age so they stuck her in that ward and kept her for ages doing all sorts of tests. All negative.
    They asked could I bring her insulin, tester and stuff, then took them off her and said THEY had to do it.

Anyway on arrival back home, I discovered they hadn't returned any of it. Rang and complained. Nurse came after she knocked off.
    She had a whole pile of stuff - she was given these, she said, new meds she said, although I was told by doc script had been sent to chemist.

So I notice the name of one of them:

Clopidogrel is used to lower your risk of having a stroke, blood clot, or serious heart problem after you've had a heart attack, severe chest pain (angina), or circulation problems.

Side effects are:

Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura
    Life-threatening bleeding
    Hemorrhagic stroke (yes that's a good one)
    Gastrointestinal hemorrhage
    Intracranial bleeding (and this)
    Rashes and itching

It is the second most top selling drug in the world now.
    Now the alternative drug for this is.....aspirin.....

Anyway there was also a bunch of other stuff I was unfamiliar with, no doubt as exciting....
    And I notice they all have the name of JOAN...my mums name is not JOAN or anything close.

Joan I ask nurse? Oh she says squinting at label...can't read that....hah, just as well you looked she said.

Pretty shocking. I wouldn't let my mum take some random thing anyway, but imagine some old fart, a bit demented being given something, they'd just take it....

We also never got back her pain pills....and on going to chemists, was given ANOTHER wrong medication.
    Finally got her actual script which is just some temp pills for her flareup of pseudogout.

Geez.
    Reading her discharge note, they have several of the facts wrong, no that's NOT what we told numerous staff....and finally, for lack of anything else, decided it was a hypo.

No wonder she hates going there.
    Ex-pctek

Default Re: Hospitals

Been in Hawke's Bay hospital a couple of times over the last 3 years. Cannot say any criticism of them. Even after I told the Geriatric team to "f..k off, I'm not old at 78". At the time I was doped up for pain pretty much after being admitted after a fall and don't remember doing so. The nurse to!d me the doctors thought if was hilarious

Cloppy dog roll, been on that for 10 years.no problems. Better than Aspirin they tell me but you are probably right about the side effects, but hey, everything has side effects. Have to have a MRI brain scan everytime I have a head knock from a fall.

I don't look anything up on Google. So much misinformation there.

Ken
    Last edited by kenj; 22-01-2022 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Been in Hawke's Bay hospital a couple of times over the last 3 years. Cannot say any criticism of them. nurse to!d me the doctors thought if was hilarious

Cloppy dog roll, been on that for 10 years.no problems. Better than Aspirin they tell me but you are probably right about the side effects, but hey, everything has side effects.
    Ken
    Lucky you.
    I am not criticising the care she had in there....it's the stuff up AFTER with her meds, especially giving her someone elses.

And I've heard that so many times, from GPs too...everything has side effects. It sure does.....even coffee.
    But we prefer to stick with the stuff with the LEAST side effects and the LESS HARMFUL ones, rather than the fashionable, the promoted by rich pharma etc.

And...stuff that has a side effect of causing the very thing it';s meant to prevent, well...it's not the only one.
    Antidepressants cause depression, some antipsychotics cause hallucinations.. and so on.

I'll be kind and say that pharma tries, and the intention is good....helping people with a condition and not just an all out get a pill into the market as fast as possible to make money.
    A healthy dose of common sense goes a long way though.

As for google, sure you can find a bunch of forums, sites dedicated to crystals and alternative theories but I like to stick to the (sometimes flawed) research and trials and medical pro sites when reading about a medication or treatment.

Especially after husband was given a BP pill once which led to kidney failure, allergic throat swelling and so on and I discovered it was the pill....5 docs ignore the blood test results and complaints of the swelling for ages.

Swapping to a new ill and it all went back to normal. See....side effects....
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Lucky you.
    I am not criticising the care she had in there....it's the stuff up AFTER with her meds, especially giving her someone elses.
    There will be many more stuff ups coming. Hospitals are F&*^ed thanks to our under resourced system. When COVID really takes hold of our hospitals who knows what will happen. Wife's a nurse and she's scared cos she knows first hand how bad staffing and beds are already without mass quarantine of staff and wards.

Quote Originally Posted by hueybot3000 View Post
    When COVID really takes hold of our hospitals.
    And when is that exactly?
    We're vaccinated now.
    The rest of the word is living normally now, no lockdowns, no stay homes, and no bloody masks.
    Why must NZ always be last to get the message
    Ex-pctek

Old guy

We're vaccinated now.
    The rest of the word is living normally now, no lockdowns, no stay homes, and no bloody masks.
    It is Politics Piroska. It has sweet b*gger all to do with health.

1. World wide there have been 10 deaths attributed to Omicron.

2. The symptoms are identical to a cold which can be quite severe but certainly not hospital care unless the patient has comorbidities.

3. There is not and never has been a way to stop it spreading through the population.

4. It is far better for us to have it now when the weather is warm than in the middle of the winter flu season.

5. It is the Government not Covid that is causing people to be terrified and losing their jobs for no good reason.

6. The rest of the world seems to have caught on with a few exceptions but our lot are to thick to observe what has happened elsewhere and learn from it.

7. The people imposing all this upon the population have not lost one cent of their income unlike the poor sods they effectively put out of work.

8. It is noticeable that those in this forum strongly in favour of restrictions are also of an age where they do not have to work to provide for a family or pay rent either that or they have a secure occupation.

Now watch the usual suspects compete to see who can call me the worst thing they can come up with. Just to remind them I am double vaxxed and I do comply with all the rules regardless of what I think of them

I think the latest "Return to Red" is an over reaction. Re the concerns for hospitals and Covid patients I should like the Govt to take a chance and require the confirmed ant vaxxers to be registered and sign that they fully understand that if they get Covid they are not eligible for admission to hospitals. That would relieve some of the pressure on our hospitals. I also believe that the so called "my principles against vaccination" would rapidly disappear Once such people realised they could not" have their cake and eat it too."

8. It is noticeable that those in this forum strongly in favour of restrictions are also of an age where they do not have to work to provide for a family or pay rent either that or they have a secure occupation.

Some of us oldies do like to go out and do things, like travel, wining and dining, a lot of people are missing our spending spree over the past 2 years.

Of course we feel for those workers and I am one who would like to see the ar!e fall out of the housing market, over 20% gain for 2021. That's where your biggest problem lies, what worker can afford that sort of mortgage.

Money in the bank at under 2% for us oldies and again those property parasites get the advantage.

lurking.

We're vaccinated now.
    thats simply not true.
    most of first world countries has lockdowns, stay homes and plenty of masks.
    no one is living "normal" anywhere in the world.

sorry but you cannot bury your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist.
    everyone is just making do to ride this out.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    It is Politics Piroska. It has sweet b*gger all to do with health.

1. World wide there have been 10 deaths attributed to Omicron.

2. The symptoms are identical to a cold which can be quite severe but certainly not hospital care unless the patient has comorbidities.

3. There is not and never has been a way to stop it spreading through the population.

4. It is far better for us to have it now when the weather is warm than in the middle of the winter flu season.

5. It is the Government not Covid that is causing people to be terrified and losing their jobs for no good reason.

6. The rest of the world seems to have caught on with a few exceptions but our lot are to thick to observe what has happened elsewhere and learn from it.

7. The people imposing all this upon the population have not lost one cent of their income unlike the poor sods they effectively put out of work.

Now watch the usual suspects compete to see who can call me the worst thing they can come up with. Just to remind them I am double vaxxed and I do comply with all the rules regardless of what I think of them
    10 worldwide LMAO. come on you could at least make up a number that plausible. one aussie state would have that alone.
    UK covid death rate has doubled since omicron hit. ~200 dead a day at present. especially when you consider the delta rates should be going down due to the vaccinations, restrictions and even the effect of omicron itself.
    their death rate should be going down not doubling.
    so blatantly anti-vaxx its like your not even trying anymore.

the restrictions we have are minor, laughably minor. its highly likely they will change them when we really get into it. the people who are at risk of loosing their jobs would have lost them completely a year ago if they where overseas.
    they have been on borrowed time all along.

at work we where discussing that we will probably have to close down at some point. even i have skin in the game. trouble is with farming you can't just stop, nature doesn't take a break.

yeah right, you try to con people into things that you won't even do yourself. hypocritical and full of BS.
    Tweak it till it breaks