Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Spark Free Modems??

Received my replacement , Spark Smart Modem - VRV9517UWAC34 this afternoon.

Just hooked it up and connected OK. but I noticed that only one wifi option is available. Went in to the setup and both the options, 2.4GHz and 5GHz are enabled.
    In my old HG659b, both the 4.2G and 5G are visible and I could choose whichever I preferred to connect to.
    Does it mean that I don't have the option to choose, and it's done automatically ?

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    Does it mean that I don't have the option to choose, and it's done automatically ?
    Most likely. IMO this is the better way as devices can choose based on their needs at the time.

An app like Ubiquiti's WiFiman would reveal if this is the case (you don't need any Ubiquiti hardware to use it).
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

But according to the Quick Start Guide, it should show up both:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	11258

Maybe, I did something wrong, but I did a reset to wifi defaults, it still doesn't show up.

VoidMaster

What are you using to look for the wifi? Any iphone after iphone 5 will show both, not sure with Android.

5 Gig is short range, say 3 meters line of sight, so about the size of a large room, 2.4 Gig is longer range say 15 meters, so outside rooms maybe sheds.

You should be seeing both on a modern phone or laptop, and the device should be able to choose the correct frequency depending on the signal strength, thats what happens at a place I have had some problems with.

You have to set both up with appropriate passwords.

Older devices will not have the 5Gig.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 18-01-2022 at 09:11 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

The old HG659b shows both, 2.4GHz and 5GHz on my Android phone. So, that's not a phone issue.

There's a typo in my post #11 . it should be 2.4GHz, not 4.2GHz

Old guy

As suggested above by pcuser42 get an app like wifiman and you will be able to see what is going on. Your device will automatically select the best band to connect to without any input from you. As Zqwerty said 5GHz is shorter in range than 2.4GHz.
    Lastly if it is working ok stop worrying about it and just use it.

Its possible the router is transmitting on a channel the phone cant pick up. Got that info from the following site, it also gives some suggestions, different router but same principle. .

https://community.tp-link.com/en/bus...m/topic/161798

But as its been suggested, don't worry about it, 5G only has a very short range anyway.

This from Spark shows how to change channels https://www.spark.co.nz/help/interne...-wifi-channel/
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-01-2022 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post

It could be both 2.4 & 5.x wifi's have the same SSD's , so they both show as a single one on the phone & the ph will pick the best option

rename the 5Ghz wifi to something else .

5 may less penetrating power (ie through walls) , but is faster & sometimes works much better due to less interference .
    5 has PLENTY of range , it has poorer penetration , more likely to be absorbed by walls & obstacles etc .
    Last edited by 1101; 19-01-2022 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    5 has PLENTY of range , it has poorer penetration , more likely to be absorbed by walls & obstacles etc .
    That's why I mentioned very short range anyway (same room is OK). Direct line of site with no obstacles its not to bad, BUT how many houses or buildings don't have internal walls of some description -- Answer, not many. Throw in a wall or two and the 5G goes AWOL

OK... Thank You guys.