Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: House Prices

Default Re: House Prices

National's new leader was queried on his rental properties, only 7 of them.

Nothing changes.

Read in The Press recently and it's worth thinking about.

Do away with GST 15% and bring in Capital Gains Tax, helps those on struggle street.

And!, CGT would hit us in the pocket on different types of investments, bu**ger, why did I say that!.

lurking.

Its ok I am from Motueka. prefect's Avatar

Like I said supply and demand from unwanted immigrants is the elephant in the room. But in these woke times we are not allowed to speak the truth.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Winnie was always on about it and good on him.

4,000,000 tourists' pa doesn't help the infrastructure either, takes raw materials away from housing our own people.

Us Kiwis' have to volunteer to clean up their left behinds as well, Fox river one example.

lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    National's new leader was queried on his rental properties, only 7 of them.

Nothing changes.

Read in The Press recently and it's worth thinking about.

Do away with GST 15% and bring in Capital Gains Tax, helps those on struggle street.

And!, CGT would hit us in the pocket on different types of investments, bu**ger, why did I say that!.

lurking.
    i would be happy with no or small CGT on everything else and huge CGT on ALL houses.
    if people can't make money off 2nd hand homes then they will put their money in other investments. it would slow down mums/dads pushing up prices.
    but there is more to it than just that. many things need to change.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Ex-pctek

Tweak it till it breaks

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    i would be happy with no or small CGT on everything else and huge CGT on ALL houses.
    if people can't make money off 2nd hand homes then they will put their money in other investments. it would slow down mums/dads pushing up prices.
    but there is more to it than just that. many things need to change.
    Put a tax on anything and all that you achieve is to increase the selling price of it. So one of two things will happen either the house price increases by the amount of that tax or it is not going to be on the market anyway.
    People who are in the business of buying and selling homes already are taxed accordingly. As is any business.
    The only way to reduce the cost of building houses is to make more land to build on available and remove a large amount of the costly regulations imposed by government, both local and central to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Put a tax on anything and all that you achieve is to increase the selling price of it. So one of two things will happen either the house price increases by the amount of that tax or it is not going to be on the market anyway.
    People who are in the business of buying and selling homes already are taxed accordingly. As is any business.
    The only way to reduce the cost of building houses is to make more land to build on available and remove a large amount of the costly regulations imposed by government, both local and central to do so.
    mum/dad buying/selling the family home for profit is not taxed. thats why we have such a big culture of earning money from our homes. people complain about "investors" but mum/dad is the biggest investor and they have the ability to sit and wait, and influence the market to suit them. something most multi home investors cannot do.

"not going onto the market" is the whole point. nz buys and sells way to many homes. we could easily cut the real estate industry in half just to match overseas countries. so even a 3/4 reduction in house sales would be easily feasible.

the increase in price would be so ridiculously high no one would buy the houses, people would do the opposite and actually sell at zero profit (therefore tax is zero).
    if you take profit out of the game, people will invest their money elsewhere and houses prices would end up being fairly stable. take the boom/bust cycles out of the market.

costly regulations need to be dealt with. basically councils need a better way to fund themselves instead of putting the cost onto new homes. cost on new homes means people sit and wait until house price goes up to cover it, which pushes the cost down the ladder onto first home buyers.
    they could scrap all the fees and council costs get covered by central govt. people will still end up paying the cost via taxes, but it avoid having it put into new homes.
    this makes developments cheaper, new homes cheaper, which helps a lot in reducing house supply.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Its ok I am from Motueka. prefect's Avatar

I suppose I should vote for the Communist Labor party because they have made me a millionaire with a house I paid $118k in 1989. Keep up the good work Commies I am rolling in it. Pity about my kids though.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.