Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Vodafone TV ends 30 Sep 2022

From their email: [VodafoneTV will continue to work as it does now until the end of September 2022, so you'll have plenty of time to choose a new entertainment solution that best suits you. You may also be entitled to a refund depending on when you purchased and activated your VodafoneTV - if this is the case, we'll be in touch in the next few months. Please don’t go back to the retail store you purchased your VodafoneTV from, as they’ll be unable to help you.]

I bought the Vodafone TV unit in March, so may get a refund as per Consumer Guarantee. But what to replace it with? Tivo was good while it lasted (had the original one for a long time and updated with a hacked Tivo but that one fried during a power cut). Reviews for DVRs are not good - that is why I went with Vodafone TV.

For those who may not know, Vodafone TV is internet only - most Freeview programmes are automatically recorded and can be viewed within 3 days or can be kept longer if you manually record it. Also had access to YouTube, Netflix, etc. which I found easier than usind our smart TV apps.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics
    are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

~ Bertrand Russell

Bleakly Optomistic

Default Re: Vodafone TV ends 30 Sep 2022

Would a chromecast suit you? so you can cast various free and paid apps like TVNZ, TV3, netflix, youtube

Maybe Vodafone will do the right thing and do a software update to make this into a vanilla media player.. Yeah pigs might fly..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Would not the Vodafone box work the same as any other Android box?

PB Tech tried to sell me one last year saying you don't have to have Vodafone ISP for it too work

they said it was superior to the Dish TV I got in the end

Vodafone TV will only be a problem if you brought the actual unit.

Here's the Full letter if you are with Vodafone. Basically Sky (who Vodafne uses anyway) will be sorting it.

Kia ora
    Four years ago, we set out to create a powerful entertainment solution with your favourite apps and content all in one place at an affordable price. VodafoneTV has brought entertainment to so many homes over these years. However due to the changing content landscape, VodafoneTV will close on 30 September 2022.
    In the coming months your VodafoneTV service will be moved to an all-new solution directly from Sky. The team from Sky will be in touch in February to make sure you have everything you need for a seamless transition.
    What do you need to do now? Absolutely nothing! There’s plenty of time left for you to enjoy everything your VodafoneTV has to offer. We’ll be back in touch in late January to talk about next steps.
    What happens to your current Sky channels? We’re working closely with Sky to make sure you don’t miss a moment of your favourite entertainment. Sky has some brand-new products and services that will be launching next year, and you’ll be one of the first to hear about them in 2022.
    You’ll receive lots more info from us about this change over the next few months. If you have any questions in the meantime please check www.vodafone.co.nz/tv for FAQs and regular updates.
    Thank you for your ongoing support and for being part of VodafoneTV.

Ngā mihi
    Your team at Vodafone
    About the only eye raising Hmmm is "everything you need for a seamless transition" Time Will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer View Post
    From their email: [VodafoneTV will continue to work as it does now until the end of September 2022, so you'll have plenty of time to choose a new entertainment solution that best suits you. You may also be entitled to a refund depending on when you purchased and activated your VodafoneTV - if this is the case, we'll be in touch in the next few months. Please don’t go back to the retail store you purchased your VodafoneTV from, as they’ll be unable to help you.]

I bought the Vodafone TV unit in March, so may get a refund as per Consumer Guarantee. But what to replace it with? Tivo was good while it lasted (had the original one for a long time and updated with a hacked Tivo but that one fried during a power cut). Reviews for DVRs are not good - that is why I went with Vodafone TV.

For those who may not know, Vodafone TV is internet only - most Freeview programmes are automatically recorded and can be viewed within 3 days or can be kept longer if you manually record it. Also had access to YouTube, Netflix, etc. which I found easier than usind our smart TV apps.
    I use Apple TV's in the house- the apps for TVNZ, THREE, YT, Netflix, etc are great and there is the option of the Spark apps there for sport, etc. They connect instantly with HomePods and overall super easy to use. I've heard the Android boxes are also excellent.

Vodafone TV going? No loss. I had a discussion with them as to why I couldn't get Spark Sport on their box. Because it's Spark, therefore opposition. I told them I just wanted a box to watch Sky and Spark TV Sport on and wasn't interested in their petty squabbles and returned it.

I had tried the Apple TV but found it to upmarket for me to use. Mainly the beautifully made but totally old man hands unusable remote! Gave it to granddaughter who likes that sot of stuff. Bought a Dish Tv box and it works beauty. Compared to the Apple box, it's crude and not as good looking but the designer must have considered use by older folk. It also has two aerial inputs so covers everything.

Seriously, anyone else had problems with the ergonomics of apple stuff. I think us oldies really are invisible to them.

Ken
    Last edited by kenj; 10-12-2021 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post

Seriously, anyone else had problems with the ergonomics of apple stuff. I think us oldies really are invisible to them.

Ken
    No never had a problem with Crapple stuff as I won't allow it in the house.

Don't have any streaming tv stuff either, if we can't get it on the freeview box we don't watch it. But then again tv might only get turned on once a week if its lucky.

Wainuitech - I received a different letter (see below) that omits that my unit will be moved to Sky. It seems to me that the Vodafone box will become a Sky subscription payment service, and that I may get a refund since I purchased it less than a year ago.

The email I received:

Kia ora

Four years ago, we set out to create a powerful entertainment solution with your favourite apps and content all in one place at an affordable price. VodafoneTV has brought entertainment to so many homes over these years. However due to the changing content landscape, VodafoneTV will close on 30 September 2022.
    What do you need to do now? Absolutely nothing! There’s plenty of time left for you to enjoy everything your VodafoneTV has to offer. We’ll be back in touch to guide you through the closure and share advice on alternative solutions to access the content you currently enjoy on VodafoneTV (e.g. Smart TVs, Chromecast, Freeview).

VodafoneTV will continue to work as it does now until the end of September 2022, so you'll have plenty of time to choose a new entertainment solution that best suits you.

You may also be entitled to a refund depending on when you purchased and activated your VodafoneTV - if this is the case, we'll be in touch in the next few months. Please don’t go back to the retail store you purchased your VodafoneTV from, as they’ll be unable to help you. We’ll be handling all parts of this process directly with you.

You’ll receive lots more info from us about this change over the next few months, if you have any questions in the meantime please check www.vodafone.co.nz/tv for FAQs and regular updates.

Thank you for your ongoing support and for being part of VodafoneTV.
    Ngā mihi
    Your team at Vodafone

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Vodafone TV will only be a problem if you brought the actual unit.

Here's the Full letter if you are with Vodafone. Basically Sky (who Vodafne uses anyway) will be sorting it.

About the only eye raising Hmmm is "everything you need for a seamless transition" Time Will tell.
    Last edited by Strommer; 10-12-2021 at 08:29 AM.

~ Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by the_bogan View Post
    Would a chromecast suit you? so you can cast various free and paid apps like TVNZ, TV3, netflix, youtube
    We do have Chromecast. We need a device that records so that a programme can be played back with option of fast forwarding through adverts, and sections we do not want to watch - this is mostly for news. Our smart TV does have a recording option but it is a pain to use and very limited.

~ Bertrand Russell