Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: Vaccine Pass

  1. #11

    Default Re: Vaccine Pass

    We were asked to show our passes at the hairdressers and she took a photo of them. Surely they can do that as well?

    But no. I would not give them a jpg. They could print it out and use it as their own.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

    Us husbands are a sorry lot.

  2. #12
    Senior Member 1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,558

    Default Re: Vaccine Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    We were asked to show our passes at the hairdressers and she took a photo of them. Surely they can do that as well?

    But no. I would not give them a jpg. They could print it out and use it as their own.
    The issue I see is
    Clubs , shops , hairdressers will often have slack if not zero IT security.
    So all the info from all saved scans will be totally insecure

    Your Full name & Birthday .
    Not data you want stored on some random persons phone or insecure PC .
    The hackers will get a jackpot from saved & stolen covid info .

    Whatever you do , dont let then get a photo of your ID/drivers lic as well.

  3. #13
    Seasoned Member allblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 'Nui
    Posts
    1,944

    Default Re: Vaccine Pass

    Who cares if someone at a club knows your name and date of birth???...if someone is devious enough to do dodgy stuff with personal details, being paranoid about a vacine pass won't stop them.

    All that stuff and more is already on...what's that thing called???....ummm.....THE INTERNET!

  4. #14
    Senior Member 1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,558

    Default Re: Vaccine Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    All that stuff and more is already on...what's that thing called???....ummm.....THE INTERNET!
    only if stupid enough to give it out on the internet.
    I allways put in a fake date of birth when prompted on the internet

    Identity theft is real and happening in NZ
    Its not "someone at the club" thats the issue.
    Its someone from Russia getting your personal info thats the concern .
    Last edited by 1101; 03-12-2021 at 10:11 AM.

  5. #15
    Awaiting Enlightenment R2x1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Shore.
    Posts
    14,032

    Default Re: Vaccine Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    only if stupid enough to give it out on the internet.
    I allways put in a fake date of birth when prompted on the internet

    Identity theft is real and happening in NZ
    Its not "someone at the club" thats the issue.
    Its someone from Russia getting your personal info thats the concern .
    I agree,........ "someone from Russia" . . . . . . is a concern,- someone from McAfee, Readers Digest or Microsoft is cause and enough for panic. However, if Susanne Paul got your details, it's cause for taking up arms RIGHT NOW.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.



  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: Vaccine Pass

    Don't forget firearms licence and all of it's referees' !.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    386

    Default Re: Vaccine Pass

    Slightly different note. After being told by Apple agents that my phone -I-Phone 6 -was too old to accept vaccine pass I tried several other methods that worked for different people. None worked on my phone.
    Anyway I subsequently was told by someone else with an old phone try Screen shot .
    Although I already had an account -which was showing on my laptop I logged in via phone and they sent another link via email -key in some nrs to verify which I did. They then resent my vaccine acct info by email . I clicked on the email on phone and then took a screen shot -it shows in Pictures. I tested it this afternoon at a public library and it worked.
    What I find frustrating is that the staff member I spoke to on helpline a couple of weeks ago (about my old phone) did not suggest this. He just said -"they are still working on the project so hopefully will be better in future"

  8. #18
    Senior Member paulw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    4,279

    Default Re: Vaccine Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil F View Post
    Slightly different note. After being told by Apple agents that my phone -I-Phone 6 -was too old to accept vaccine pass I tried several other methods that worked for different people. None worked on my phone.
    Anyway I subsequently was told by someone else with an old phone try Screen shot .
    Although I already had an account -which was showing on my laptop I logged in via phone and they sent another link via email -key in some nrs to verify which I did. They then resent my vaccine acct info by email . I clicked on the email on phone and then took a screen shot -it shows in Pictures. I tested it this afternoon at a public library and it worked.
    What I find frustrating is that the staff member I spoke to on helpline a couple of weeks ago (about my old phone) did not suggest this. He just said -"they are still working on the project so hopefully will be better in future"
    I guess it's not his job to suggest work rounds for this but to suggest that you buy a new phone.
    Regards,

    Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

  9. #19
    Bleakly Optomistic
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Otaki, NZ
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Vaccine Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    The issue I see is
    Clubs , shops , hairdressers will often have slack if not zero IT security.
    So all the info from all saved scans will be totally insecure

    Your Full name & Birthday .
    Not data you want stored on some random persons phone or insecure PC .
    The hackers will get a jackpot from saved & stolen covid info .

    Whatever you do , dont let then get a photo of your ID/drivers lic as well.
    my understanding is the scanner is just another app on the staffs phone. It checks that the QR code info matches the name and date of birth. It doesn't save any data.

  10. #20
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    28,774

    Default Re: Vaccine Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by the_bogan View Post
    my understanding is the scanner is just another app on the staffs phone. It checks that the QR code info matches the name and date of birth. It doesn't save any data.
    Theres just a big blue button you press to scan, line up the QR Code in the Square and it tells you if its valid or not , it displays the persons name and Date of Birth.

    No identifiable information about the user of the device or the Pass is retained by the app.

    Basic analytics events are captured to record the number of successful and unsuccessful scans that have occurred. These events do not contain any personal information and are not able to be linked to an individual or location. The events collected (by date) are:

    number of valid scans
    number of invalid scans (by reason)
    number of installs or first opens
    demographic information about the app and device used, including the application version, device make, model, platform and platform version.
    The app requires the following permissions to be granted:

    internet/Wi-Fi State: Used to detect when the app is connected to the internet, in order to update the list of trusted pass issuers
    camera: Used to scan QR codes to verify a pass.

Similar Threads

  1. Vaccine Certificates.......
    By B.M. in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25-11-2021, 09:23 AM
  2. What is the true cost of the vaccine?
    By Jeff in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-10-2021, 09:56 AM
  3. Covid Vaccine -Grrrrr!
    By Tony in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 26-06-2021, 08:08 PM
  4. First Covid-19 vaccine jab?
    By kenj in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28-05-2021, 11:53 PM
  5. COVID-19 vaccine?
    By Billy in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 23-04-2020, 01:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •