Older by the minute

Default TV won't play sound form laptop.

I have a Sony Bravia 55X9000H. It plays sound from an attached pendrive and a Sony blu-ray player. When I play an external HDD attached to the USB, the TV takes a real age to down load the Ext HDD content into I presume its memory and really is a real pain waiting for it to install.

I have before on another earlier Sony attached my laptop and used it to play the Ext HDD quite happily. This latest TV does not play nicely. Headphones attached to the laptop shows that music is getting through. However, when the laptop is attached to the TV (using an HDMI cable and a sound cable) there is no sound from the TV, the video I am playing does show an image.

I have looked at the Sound menu in the TV but cannot see anything that will allow me to play the sound from the video, quite qt sea I'm afraid. Anyone have any ideas?

Old dick-head

Default Re: TV won't play sound form laptop.

What format is the file you are trying to play ?

Older by the minute

mp4. However, I have persisted with the Sony blu-ray player and now have it setup to do what I wanted. Still be interested if anyone has ideas why the Sony 55X9000h doesn't want to playball with the laptop.

Headphones attached to the laptop shows that music is getting through. However, when the laptop is attached to the TV ( using an HDMI cable and a sound cable
    Try disconnecting the Sound cable and head phones. With the head phones plugged in that will kill any external Audio

HDMI carries both Video AND Audio, so the TV may not know which to use. Try going into the audio Settings on the TV and the Laptop and see if theres an option to select which one you want. The HDMI should work fine on its own.

My Own Media Center has a HDMI from the PC to the TV and a set of lot better speakers plugged into the 3.5mm ( headphones) on the TV. Can shake the houise if I crank it up to high
    Last edited by wainuitech; 24-11-2021 at 07:12 PM.