Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPM enquiry

Default TPM enquiry

I have just replaced the 7 year old motherboard in my desktop PC with a Gigabyte Z590 UD board to bring the system more or less up-to-date, especially with Windows 11 becoming available. I realise there is no rush to install Win 11, but I like to keep my options open.

The new board supports TPM2.0 but apparently it is not possible to enable it without a TPM module installed. The motherboard manual states "For the GC-TPM2.0 SPI/GC-TPM2.0 SPI 2.0 module only."

My question is, does this mean I must use a specific module in the TPM slot, or can I use one of the TPM modules that are currently available to buy locally?

Older by the minute

Default Re: TPM enquiry

You could try asking the supplier so you get the right one,

Find that the 11 Gen Intel CPU supports TPM

Change this in the Bios ,did this with 2 360 M Boards

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Find that the 11 Gen Intel CPU supports TPM

Change this in the Bios ,did this with 2 360 M Boards
    Thanks, but this does not seem to apply to my MB.

In the BIOS under "Settings/Miscellaneous/Trusted Computing/Configuration" there is an entry to enable "Security Device Support", and under that is says "NO Security Device Found". Clicking on the Enable button does nothing.

I have since located 2 suppliers who carry the module specified in Z590 UD manual, so the simplest thing is to get one.

Edit: I should have mentioned that the CPU is the Core i7-11700.
    Last edited by Jayess64; 22-11-2021 at 03:06 PM.

Old guy

Yes you need the module and then need to enable it in the setting you hae found.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayess64 View Post
    Thanks, but this does not seem to apply to my MB.

In the BIOS under "Settings/Miscellaneous/Trusted Computing/Configuration" there is an entry to enable "Security Device Support", and under that is says "NO Security Device Found". Clicking on the Enable button does nothing.

I have since located 2 suppliers who carry the module specified in Z590 UD manual, so the simplest thing is to get one.

Edit: I should have mentioned that the CPU is the Core i7-11700.
    You are looking in the Wrong location.

The Board should have it installed, no Module required. Some of the Manufactures call it different names. ( that's a pain)

Have a read of the link at the end of this sentence --- tells you where it should be, ( this make caught me out at 1st) Its actually Intel(R) Platform Trust Technology https://support.nzxt.com/hc/en-us/ar...e-N7-Z490-Z590
    Last edited by wainuitech; 22-11-2021 at 04:44 PM.

Had to Google mine as it did not stand out at first

All boards are different

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    You are looking in the Wrong location.

The Board should have it installed, no Module required. Some of the Manufactures call it different names. ( that's a pain)

Have a read of the link at the end of this sentence --- tells you where it should be, ( this make caught me out at 1st) Its actually Intel(R) Platform Trust Technology https://support.nzxt.com/hc/en-us/ar...e-N7-Z490-Z590
    Oh hang it, Wainui, why didn't you tell me that before I ordered a TPM module from Ascent, $37 gone!

Well, OK, maybe I should have read your post before making the order, but it's the principle of the thing!

In fact though, it wasn't quite that simple. The BIOS screen shot in the link you provided was very different from what I have on mine. 'Z590' is a generic name and different boards can have different BIOS screens. However, I hunted around for a bit and found the equivalent entry for my machine, changed the setting to 'Enable', re-booted and hey-presto!, I can now enjoy Windows with nicely rounded corners - or will when I install it.

Mind you, I had to run the SystemHealth app to get approval to instal Win 11, and the Update & Security page in the System app is still telling me I can't install Win 11! Quite an exciting evening!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayess64 View Post
    Oh hang it, Wainui, why didn't you tell me that before I ordered a TPM module from Ascent, $37 gone!

Well, OK, maybe I should have read your post before making the order, but it's the principle of the thing!

In fact though, it wasn't quite that simple. The BIOS screen shot in the link you provided was very different from what I have on mine. 'Z590' is a generic name and different boards can have different BIOS screens. However, I hunted around for a bit and found the equivalent entry for my machine, changed the setting to 'Enable', re-booted and hey-presto!, I can now enjoy Windows with nicely rounded corners - or will when I install it.

Mind you, I had to run the SystemHealth app to get approval to install Win 11, and the Update & Security page in the System app is still telling me I can't install Win 11! Quite an exciting evening!
    Yeah, Sorry but didn't get a chance to read posts till later in the day, sometimes things get really busy

If you don't need the TPM Module, See if you can return it (dont open the package) Just looking at their Return Policy they say
    We donít have to accept a return if youíve simply changed your mind, but sometimes we can accommodate (and a re-stock fee may apply). If you want to return anything you'll need a return authorisation (RA) number.
    - So depends if its worth it.

BUT if they complain (assuming they sold you the Motherboard) you could always state that they should have known you don't need the TPM Module and due to their lack of Knowledge of the product, they sold you something you didn't need. This would apply if you told them what the problem was beforehand.

Sometimes I get similar, a customer orders something then doesn't want it - Did that yesterday with my supplier - last week a customer ordered some extra wireless access points then changed their mind after I put in the EOP - hadn't opened the boxes and the supplier took them back and gave a full credit.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Yeah, Sorry but didn't get a chance to read posts till later in the day, sometimes things get really busy

If you don't need the TPM Module, See if you can return it (dont open the package) Just looking at their Return Policy they say - So depends if its worth it.
    No, not worth the hassle, especially considering what I paid for the CPU. As I have grown older I have developed into one of those characters who hates throwing things away - it might be useful some day.