Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to kll MS 365 Outllook ost format and replace with pst

I am so far delighted with my new ASUS B1500 which replaced the Lenovo ThinkpPad E15.
    Setting up and installing programmes and data files etc has been smooth -until.

MS have continued to set ost format as the default for MS365 Outlook.
    I should have hoped they would give an option -pst or ost at setup.
    Last year with the Lenovo I was faced with same issue. MS Tech support staff were useless. Ultimately a cousin of a friend came and fixed problem in 1 hour.- but he has since moved

Most of the website suggestions relate to other Outlook -i.e. pre 365.
    Because of last year same hassles, this time (before I opened Outlook I went into Gmail and made sure I had selected -use pst and also disable IMAP (ost).

I never in Outlook got a chance to select POP and SMTP .
    I went into C’\users \Apps Microsoft etc and found the ost file and selected Delete. At first told to close Outlook so I could click delete. Did so. Next was “this is default acct you need to create another acct to be able to delete.”
    I created another and entered as pst format - clicked on Set as Default then pressed delete on ost.
    When I reopened Outlook the new pst showed in side folder but so did the original ost..
    Acct options in Outlook when open does not have a Delete button.to eradicate ost.

Any ideas, how to kill the ost version.?

I had ,being a pessimist, deliberately left this as last of setup process-reinstalling programmes and data files.
    The rest has gone smoothly.

Another gripe -previously I found the MS NZ 0800 Nr very useful. Now it says - no voice options go to online link which did to install MS 365.
    Wanting to be “honest” I had wanted to talk with MS to ask if they had my 365 licence showing against the Lenovo and if so switch it to my ASUS Expert B1500.

Default Re: How to kll MS 365 Outllook ost format and replace with pst

Why do you want to kill the OST for . I assume your you are using IMAP which is way better than any PST storage as It can be picked up via multiple computers so that when you delete an email on one it does it on everything. From memory you only use a PST now on POP3 emails. Wainuitech may know more but I would never go back to a PST file. You lose that and you lose it all.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

It can be picked up via multiple computers so that when you delete an email on one it does it on everything.
    Thats the one bad action with IMAP, the number of people who dont know how it works is amazing. Had several customers say -- They deleted the emails off their phones as they didn't want them there, then when they go to the computer-- Wheres the mail gone

I Personally still use pst on my Business email- mainly because I dont want mails (ands truck loads of Junk) anywhere else, on the computer I use mailwasher can can sort whats what from that.

The phones used for making and receiving calls and txt's and the odd Photo, Security Cams (notifications) and if I get lost maybe google maps. Dont live on my phone

The .pst is backed up often, like every 30 Minutes, as well as a live sync program.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 21-11-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Thanx Wai. I use an OST because it is keeps live in mulitple places. Desktop, laptop, tablet and phone. If something happens to your account just delete the OST and let it sync again.
    Regards,

Paul W

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    If something happens to your account just delete the OST and let it sync again.
    That also works if setting up a New Device, just enter your Account deaails and wait for it to populate. Some Business I do work for they have 15K ++ Then theres the "sorted" folders as well Mails then wonder why it takes a while to come through.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    That also works if setting up a New Device, just enter your Account deaails and wait for it to populate. Some Business I do work for they have 15K ++ Then theres the "sorted" folders as well Mails then wonder why it takes a while to come through.
    If I have to restore an image backup the OST file is out of date. Just have to do a search and then delete it. Runup Outlook and it gets resynced again nothing else to do. Talking Exchange server accounts here mainly but seems also to work with IMAP.
    Regards,

Paul W

pop3 365 settings , in the link below . I wouldnt advise using it .
    You dont want to use coal to run your car

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-6c6c4ac95353

You'd need to manually setup the a/c in outlook for pop3 .

Paulw you can assume that I do not like ost -(see reference to last year with Lenovo) lacks certain features I like .MS TEch support spent 6 hours online with me trying to get 1 of those features and then they gave up.
    I regularly back up my pst files as i do with all data files. I did get 1 reply to my post to MS Community but unfortunately it was from Palcook (I suspect a bot rather than areal person) as his/her replies seem to be boiler template replies avoiding the specific questions(not just to me but other MS Community members). I replied [pronto saying "read what I said in my post where I explicitly stated "XXX" . so please answer my query" - silence to date.-2 days .

Quote Originally Posted by Neil F View Post
    Paulw you can assume that I do not like ost -(see reference to last year with Lenovo) lacks certain features I like .MS TEch support spent 6 hours online with me trying to get 1 of those features and then they gave up.
    I regularly back up my pst files as i do with all data files. I did get 1 reply to my post to MS Community but unfortunately it was from Palcook (I suspect a bot rather than areal person) as his/her replies seem to be boiler template replies avoiding the specific questions(not just to me but other MS Community members). I replied [pronto saying "read what I said in my post where I explicitly stated "XXX" . so please answer my query" - silence to date.-2 days .
    Perhaps because what youre asking is actually nonsense .
    "Not liking OST" because it lacks features , doesnt make any sense , so you may struggle to get the answers you want.

is your email host MS365/outlook.com/exchange based ?
    is your email host ONLY imap/pop3 compatible ?

if you want pst, then you dont use imap. use pop3 .
    be aware pop3 is old and isnt intended for modern use where a single email a/c can be on multiple devices .
    Last edited by 1101; 24-11-2021 at 08:07 AM.