Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Hijacked Domain -

Hijacked Domain.

In 2016 I created a Domain, registered with Open-Host. They also hosted a website for me. Open-Host gave me excellent service until July 2021, when they were taken over by Crazy Domains.

I should have been informed, and given the choice of moving, or not. I was not informed, and received a bill for 6 months hosting in advance, plus the annual Domain fee. This was paid as usual. I needed to access the Control Panel to make some changes, but was refused permission, and was diverted to Crazy Domains. When I asked them why I had not been informed of the changes they said that they had tried, but the email address was wrong. My user name was ‘mzee1934@actrix.co.nz’. Actrix was taken over by Voyager, and no longer had an email service. I now have a gmail account which Open-Host used for several years to send me the Invoices.

Crazy Domains will not give me access to transfer the Domain because they require proof of ownership. I have supplied them with copies of the Open-Host Invoices, Bank Statements, and a screenshot of the accounts page in the Panel. Also a copy of the registration from Who Is, which clearly shows the residential address as the same as on the Invoices. They wan’t me to prepare a legal document, complete with scans of driving licence, and passport! I refuse to do this as I have no contract with Crazy Domains.

If the Domain was not mine, would I have been paying the annual sub since 2016? I don’t think so. I have contacted the Domain Registrar, but got nowhere. It has been stolen!
    I could sue them, but I don't need the Domain now, its a matter of principle.
    What to do?
    Last edited by mzee; 20-11-2021 at 01:41 PM.

Default Re: Hijacked Domain -

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post

In 2016 I created a Domain, registered with Open-Host. They ... were taken over by Crazy Domains.

I needed to access the Control Panel...... the email address was wrong. My user name was ‘mzee1934@actrix.co.nz’. Actrix was taken over by Voyager, and no longer had an email service. I now have a gmail account

Crazy Domains will not give me access to transfer the Domain because they require proof of ownership. I have supplied them with copies of the Open-Host Invoices, Bank Statements, and a screenshot of the accounts page in the Panel. Also a copy of the registration from Who Is, which clearly shows the residential address as the same as on the Invoices. They wan’t me to prepare a legal document, complete with scans of driving licence, and passport! I refuse to do this as I have no contract with Crazy Domains.
    Yes. This is why it is of extreme importance you have up to date contact details as registrar.
    You can move a domain with the UDAI.

By law a UDAI can ONLY be given to the Registrar, via the email address generally.

Either do as they ask and they will update details for you and /or provide the UDAI or take it up with the Domain Name Commission.
    Who will pretty much ask you to do the same thing as they set these rules.

I used to get this all the time from people who didn't bother keeping details updated.

It exists to prevent theft of domains, which can happen.

Sometimes it's a result of divorce....one couple who had a business together fought over it after the divorce, and the UDAI went to the email address associated with it....but that's the law.....splitting it (after the fact) involves court in those sort of situations if the 2 parties couldn't agree.

Whatever, the hosting co MUST follow process. Even if they believe you, it's to protect themselves from court action if say, you happened NOT to be the actual owner. That has happened too, my boss at Webdrive had to attend a few court cases, so yes they are strict.
    Last edited by piroska; 20-11-2021 at 04:20 PM.
    Ex-pctek

I really can't be bothered to go any further with it. The website which used the Domain is no longer required as the owner has cancer. Just bugs me that they took my money without telling me that the host had changed hands. They managed to send the bills to me using my gmail address so the excuse that the email address was faulty is nonsense. The residential address on the Registration is the same as on the Invoices, I have lived here for 20 years. Not good for my blood pressure!

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    Hijacked Domain.

In 2016 I created a Domain, registered with Open-Host. They also hosted a website for me. Open-Host gave me excellent service until July 2021, when they were taken over by Crazy Domains.

I should have been informed, and given the choice of moving, or not. I was not informed, and received a bill for 6 months hosting in advance, plus the annual Domain fee. This was paid as usual. I needed to access the Control Panel to make some changes, but was refused permission, and was diverted to Crazy Domains. When I asked them why I had not been informed of the changes they said that they had tried, but the email address was wrong. My user name was ‘mzee1934@actrix.co.nz’. Actrix was taken over by Voyager, and no longer had an email service. I now have a gmail account which Open-Host used for several years to send me the Invoices.

If the Domain was not mine, would I have been paying the annual sub since 2016? I don’t think so. I have contacted the Domain Registrar, but got nowhere. It has been stolen!
    I could sue them, but I don't need the Domain now, its a matter of principle.
    What to do?
    I had a similar experience, Open Host was fine but Crazy Domains a Rip Off.

In my case Crazy Domains took $60 out of my Credit Card for one of their products I hadn’t ordered.

Their excuse was they had offered me it and because I hadn’t responded they assumed I wanted it!

Anyway after an exchange of opinions they said they would cancel the purchase but keep the money in credit to be used to go toward future purchases.

So off to my Bank and Visa I go.

They recovered the money but had to cancel my existing Credit Card and issue a new one.

This in turn meant changing my Credit Card details with other companies I do business with.

A right pain.

And, believe it or not, but Crazy Domains still send me promotional material even though I have made it perfectly clear that they have more show of seeing a Snow Fight in Hell than of me ever doing business with them.

As an aside, I got some promotional material from Open Host the other day so maybe they think I’ll buy something and they will get my new Credit Card details.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I use 1st Domains. No issues.
    Ex-pctek

Mine just changed over last week, ( Friday from memory) The Email I got sent (a month ago) gave instructions on what was happening, you also had the choice to not allow the transfer, but had to contact them. Then On Tuesday (or was it Wednesday) Anyway got another email again giving details instructions. THEN on Wednesday got a phone call advising of the change.

In the Instructions they clearly stated that The payment method cant be transferred to the new setup, as Legally they are not allowed. So had to go in Via the supplied instructions and set it back up again.

Edited: the exact wording:
    If you previously used your credit card on Openhost NZ it is important to reload your credit card details in your new account. Due to privacy laws and the Crazy Domains payment gateway, this sensitive information has not been migrated to the new platform. Loading your payment details will ensure a quick and easy path to renewing your product and services when expiry time approaches.
    The change went smooth as silk, no problems everything works 100%

Both the site and email run through them, so maybe if you have a email With someone else there possibly can be problems, get that all the time, Customers have a recovery Email address with Paradise, ihug etc - yeah - not gonna work now
    Last edited by wainuitech; 21-11-2021 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks for that Wainui. I have not been offered any new terms by Crazy and made it quite clear that I am not interested. Unfortunately the last payment was made a few days before the takeover. It will run out in February. Its a shame as Open Host gave me good service since 2016. Maybe I should learn to speak Russian!

Too complicated for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Openhost.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	11203

I thought Crazy Domains took over Openhost, but the E-Mail I got was actually from Freeparking limited trading as OpenHost.

Crazy Domains isnít mentioned.

Seems they donít want you to know who you are dealing with. Wonder why?

The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Worth a read right through. HERE

The only thing I didn't like was With Open host you could pay Monthly, But Crazy Domains its yearly Min, this is becasue I'm using a Linux Server. Its the same amount, just have to pay in one hit.

The Security code that has to be entered to send a Request will only work On Linux. Keeps 99% of the scammers away, the odd one that does come through someone has to enter 4 required details ( Name - Email - Contact Ph Number and the Random Security Letters).