Default Mobile internet "hotspotting"

Hi all

Just have a quick questions ... can a telecommunications company tell when your using data for Bluetooth tethering (or USB) to your computer, and if so, do they have the technology to intervene and stop mobile data being used for that purpose once you reach a certain limit ??

This relates to me being told my plan doesn't allow for using a hotspot, when in fact I have a 5GB limit for doing so, and maybe someone could tell me what the difference is if I'm using my data on my phone and casting it to my TV as opposed to tethering to a laptop and using data for internet ?

From my point of view, I have unlimited 4g data usage ... data is data ... whether it's used for sending emails or streaming music, video whatever !

Cheers

Bleakly Optomistic

Default Re: Mobile internet "hotspotting"

Yes they do. I have unlimited data with spark, but if I don't pay for unlimited tethering, they cut me off after 5GB of tethering

Quote Originally Posted by the_bogan View Post
    Yes they do. I have unlimited data with spark, but if I don't pay for unlimited tethering, they cut me off after 5GB of tethering
    Thanks Bogan ... Does that include casting to a smart tv ??

Spark tried telling I wasn't allowed to tether at all ... sounds like we're on the same plan and I too have the 5GB limit ... I was going to increase it, but the way they talked to me, I may be looking elsewhere for a service provider.
    Last edited by SP8s; 19-11-2021 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Added info

I'm on Skinny and no tethering limitations that I know of except you can't tether with databinge turned on.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

I'm with 2d and have been for years and never heard of that before.

My personal opinion is, Spark customers are just being ripped off ... as usual. I my first post, I also forgot to mention that I can go to a Spark Free WiFi Zones and download up to 2GB of data per day, this is of course at high speed, but again, if I download music or video, where does it say I can't stream those downloads to my Laptop, computer or smart TV. They're offering 50% of this, that and the next thing, but I'm paying for the data and I believe I have the right to use that data in any way I see fit ... unless it's for unlawful purposes.

The biggest kicker was to hear that they do have the technology to tell how much data I've been using through Bluetooth to my computer and have asked for a monthly data usage, hotspot usage, etc, since changing plans in April ... I can't wait to receive it !